Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Ok well I've done some researching around and I havent found much. Can anyone point me in the right direction for some quality reloads for this type of round. The stuf I've found so far wasnt worth the price.
Thanks.

Administrator
Are you wanting to buy reloaded ammunition or roll your own?

Super Moderator
Cast your own? The Lee 255 grain flat point is an extremely accurate bullet/mold. I load 8.3 grains of unique behind it and get about 950 fps out of my 4 5/8" Ruger Blackhawk and sub 1" at 25 yards rested groups. I say sub because I get around 1" groups and I know I can't shoot any better than that with iron sights. LOL

Now, being this is the reloading forum and I've never actually bought .45 Colt ammo, only reload it, I can't help ya if you're looking at buying factory reloads. I've got some cowboy crap here that I fell into (long story) from a friend of my wife's divorce...:D He was into cowboy shooting, a real horse's but, so I didn't care much for the guy. Anyway, I haven't fired this stuff, more interested in the brass, frankly. But, it's labeled "T's Guns and Ammo, 2212 Palmer Hwy, Texas City, Tx 77590 Says "new and re-manufactured Ammo.....Roy and Pat Tipton" (guess they're the owners). I don't see a price on it. He also had a box of Black Hills has a 19.95 sticker on it. I can reload 10 50 round boxes of .45 Colt for that money. OUCH! Glad I ain't stuck with buying factory. .45 Colt reloading can pay for the equipment REAL fast.

Registered
Discussion Starter #4
I'd like to find places to buy reloaded ammo.

Registered
NativeTexan said:
Cast your own? The Lee 255 grain flat point is an extremely accurate bullet/mold. I load 8.3 grains of unique behind it and get about 950 fps out of my 4 5/8" Ruger Blackhawk and sub 1" at 25 yards rested groups. I say sub because I get around 1" groups and I know I can't shoot any better than that with iron sights. LOL

Now, being this is the reloading forum and I've never actually bought .45 Colt ammo, only reload it, I can't help ya if you're looking at buying factory reloads. I've got some cowboy crap here that I fell into (long story) from a friend of my wife's divorce...:D He was into cowboy shooting, a real horse's but, so I didn't care much for the guy. Anyway, I haven't fired this stuff, more interested in the brass, frankly. But, it's labeled "T's Guns and Ammo, 2212 Palmer Hwy, Texas City, Tx 77590 Says "new and re-manufactured Ammo.....Roy and Pat Tipton" (guess they're the owners). I don't see a price on it. He also had a box of Black Hills has a 19.95 sticker on it. I can reload 10 50 round boxes of .45 Colt for that money. OUCH! Glad I ain't stuck with buying factory. .45 Colt reloading can pay for the equipment REAL fast.
"T's Guns and Ammo, 2212 Palmer Hwy, Texas City, Tx 77590
hey that place is a 1/4 mile from my house.they retired a couple years ago

Registered
If you're planning on shooting a lot of rounds, I highly suggest you "roll your own". 45 Colt is one of the easiest rounds to load, especially being primarily for revolvers. Low pressure, large straight wall cases along with a large diameter case mouth which makes seeing the charge easier.

I've been using Hodgdon powders for my cowboy loads and some of the hotter loads I do with great results. The real nice thing about one load in particular is that the charge weights are very low which helps in reducing the cost per round. Accuracy and ignition have been good through both the Ruger Vaquero and Super Redhawk in which they are shot.

Registered
get yourself a lee classic press package,
a set of 45 colt dies 1000 winchester large pistol primers, 1-200 45colt cases,1000
250 or 255 rnfp cast bullets,a reloading manual,and a pound of unique, measure about 8-9 grs unique put in case seat bullet to crimp groove,crimp bullet then go shootin.

***FIRST READ YOUR MANUAL.***

you have just purchased your first reloads.
next step casting.

good luck dan

Registered
sorry i missed a few steps. first size the brass,
seat primers,then pick up with putting powder in case. sorry dan

1 - 9 of 9 Posts