Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since my Taurus Gaucho shoots high with 250 grain rnfp lead bullets, would a switch to say a 180 grain bullet, lower the point of impact? I have tried experimenting with different powders, and charges, but nothing seems to make any difference with this bullet/gun combo.

·
Moderator Emeritus, with us always.
15,931 Posts
Here is what I heard, when using a 9 mm, and shooting low. If I changed to a heavier than 115gr, it would raise my POI. I tried some 124 gr, and it worked somewhat. So that being said, if you use a 180 or 200, even a 225 it should lower it somewhat. I do not reload, so all mine was factory ammo. I have my JUDGE, but have only used 200 cowboy loads, 200 regular loads FMJ, and a about a box of 225 JHP, and a few 250 JHP. I noticed no difference, but I am only shooting at from 30 to 45 feet.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Take a 200 gr lead SWC bullet normally used for the .45 ACP and seat it deep enough into the case so that you can still apply the roll crimp at or just slightly over the shoulder of the full-diameter section of the bullet. Use 6 grains of bullseye and a CCI or Remington Large Pistol primer. The loaded round looks a little weird but it shoots 1" to 1.5" groups bench-rested at 25 yards in my Anaconda, 25-5 and Blackhawk. Try it - you won't be disappointed - and your point of impact may come down just right.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
i started using trail boss when it first came out a couple years ago. i never looked back ,it works so well in the colt loads i cant see changing, yeah its a bit more costly but??? the results are worth it to me!!!!

·
Super Moderator
35,689 Posts
I've yet to try trail boss in light loads. It's bulky, but Unique is quite dirty and be nice to use something a little cleaner.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Hey, clean is the word for Trail Boss.

I've shot bullseye, Unique, and they with my dirty cheap bullet lube I use, can really fowl up a revolver in a short period of time.

Ran a few rounds loaded with TB right behind those powders, and it blew that crap right out of my wheel gun...cylinder and barrel bright and clean. My gun even said thank you from it's forcing cone...kind of mumbled it.

TB C45

·
Registered
178 Posts
I like Trail Boss for the .45 Colt too! Just don't try to hotrod it, it's a pretty fast burning powder. You can easily duplicate WW & RP factory 255gr loads with it. As the others have said, I've found it clean burning too. Frank

1 - 11 of 11 Posts