Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was unsure whether it would be cost effective to reload. After posting and reading what other members had to say I decided to try it. I bought a Dillon 550B off of ebay. Came with dies and conversion kits for 45 357 40 and 9mm. Also had a quick change setup and a few other goodies. I paid 610. Seemed like a lot to spend but I figured I might like some other guns and reloading might be fun. From doing a bit of research the loading gear holds it's value pretty well so I don't have much to lose. Now that the press is coming I will need to buy supplies. Plan on loading 40sw to start with. I read that AA #5 is a descent powder to work with so I will probably buy that. Finally to my questions. Where to buy and which primers and bullets to buy. These will be used for target shooting and general plinking with some friends. Sorry I was a bit long winded but I have to admit I am like a kid at Christmas with this puchase. I have found many loads on various internet sights. I will probably use the powder manufacturers loads to get started. Thanks for any help you might offer me to get headed in the right direction with these initial bullet and primer decisions. :)
Harry

·
Administrator
18,578 Posts
Congratulations on your, new to you, Dillon 550! I own and operate a Dillon XL650 and have never regretted it! I had been reloading for quite some time before I bought it, so I kind of knew what I was getting into. Please note that Dillon and other Reloading Press manufacturers require you to use Straight 30w Motor Oil on the Ram/Ram Bearings and Press Handle Linkage, just in case you did not get a Manual with it!

Kind of depends upon where you are. I've generally bought powder and primers locally and at Gunshows. Bullets have been harder to come by locally, unless you shoot cast bullets, and there are some local bullet casters that do a good job of it. Saves on transport and Haz-Mat Fees. Have been Mail-Ordering Bullets as I shoot predominantly plated and Jacketed bullets.

·
Super Moderator
35,689 Posts
www.midwayusa.com gets my business. I buy powder and primers at a local gun shop in a larger town about 30 miles from here.

I have a dillon square deal, great presses and some of the best customer service I ever experienced. If you ever need service or parts send, free, free, all free and they send more'n one just to make sure you're satisfied. Even those it's a PITA to convert calibers on the square deal, I've never regretted buying it. I have it set up for 9mm and load other calibers on a Lee progressive. The Dillon is the better tool, but the Lee is much easier to change calibers on. Not a problem with the 550, though, a great tool! The square deal is a budget tool.

I do cast most of my own bullets and order from midway what I don't cast. Midway has SUPER DUPER service, here in only a few days, probably because I'm in the same UPS zone, but they ship same day.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I did a bit of research and ended up buying 2000 40 cast bullets from missouri bullet. From what I read the guy is a standup guy. I want to try the cast bullets out anyway to see how well they work out. Great price at 110 total for 2000 175 gr (as I remember they were 175gr).
Harry

·
Registered
25 Posts
harryk said:
I was unsure whether it would be cost effective to reload. After posting and reading what other members had to say I decided to try it. I bought a Dillon 550B off of ebay. Came with dies and conversion kits for 45 357 40 and 9mm. Also had a quick change setup and a few other goodies. I paid 610. Seemed like a lot to spend but I figured I might like some other guns and reloading might be fun. From doing a bit of research the loading gear holds it's value pretty well so I don't have much to lose. Now that the press is coming I will need to buy supplies. Plan on loading 40sw to start with. I read that AA #5 is a descent powder to work with so I will probably buy that. Finally to my questions. Where to buy and which primers and bullets to buy. These will be used for target shooting and general plinking with some friends. Sorry I was a bit long winded but I have to admit I am like a kid at Christmas with this puchase. I have found many loads on various internet sights. I will probably use the powder manufacturers loads to get started. Thanks for any help you might offer me to get headed in the right direction with these initial bullet and primer decisions. :)
Harry
It's not rocket science but I would read up on this hobby as much as possible before you reload a single round. Get a good manual and adhere to the load equations put forth,this is no place to try and reinvent the wheel. Shoot the beginning loads before moving on to max loads.

·
Registered
846 Posts
harryk, you can go to RCBS.com even though you got a Dillion press steps are same, they have step by step instructions, etc. and used to have a video to watch to show even the basic beginner. I get my bullets at the gun show or midway, just shot some of the 180gr. golden sabers I got for $10.00 per 100 and they did great, I like the Power Pistol powder with the .40 so far the best.I just don't shoot lead in that calib. just my preference.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I found a video on you tube on how to set up and use the dillon 550b reloader. The young man who made it did about 8 videos on reloading. He did an excellent job explaining everything. I highly recommend it to anyone starting out. The user id of the young man on you tube is PorterhouseV. I ended up buying 4# of power pistal powder and 2000 bullets from missouri bullet. I think I am set for now. Just have to wait on the big brown truck. Thanks for all input. Please continue to post good places to buy supplies and your experience with reloading. I am trying to be like a sponge and absorb everything. Thanks,
Harry

·
Registered
846 Posts
Your goning to have some fun. Yep I love the posts also, I learn something new everytime I come in, all the good posts and sites the gents put in here will teach anyone something.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts