Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi guys, i know everyone sais you cannot reload the steal casings, i ask specifically because i have the sks stuff that gets picked up because i lecture everyone to pick up everything, and hence i have allot of it, .223 is another that i have some of.

why is it either a no-no, or just not possible? should i be throwing it away, or is there hope of a system eventually becoming available.

i have tried to get in a habit of buying reloadable brass, but in sks, it is really hard to do, as sometimes all you can find is the steel stuff.

please educate someone who does not know didly about reloading, but intends to someday.

·
Super Moderator
35,680 Posts
Hard on sizing dies and all the steel case 7.62x39 ammo I've ever seen has been berdan primed (can reload if you have the equipment and a supply of berdan primers, but why bother?). I would imagine (I haven't put a steel case through a sizer because I didn't want to break the decapping pin on the berdan primer pocket) that it would take the arms of Atlas to force a steel case through a sizer die, then you have to trim the thing. Nope, not me, cases are cheap enough.

·
Registered
37 Posts
i asked the same question about 2 months ago and from all the responses i definitely decided reloading steel was not a good move. also talked to a person at the range and he confirmed the chatter from the web. i don't recall a single response being in favor of reloading steel. i don't have first hand experience to validate my decision but i do trust that of others.

·
Registered
91 Posts
steel case on ammo will expand properly to seal the chamber. Sadly if you try to reuse that steel case, it will have a structural failure and you will have to figure out how to get a split/rupterued steel case from your chamber.

·
32,803 Posts
These guys have it dead right.
Brass cases at least flex and seal the chamber and then retain the shape for the most past they started out at. Actions of guns need that to happen to function reliably.

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
I agree with what the rest are saying. Steel is not as ductile as brass and would damage your standard dies, if you could even get the dies to resize them which I would doubt they would even go in. Seems like you would probably damage your reloading bench with the force it would require to work them.

I would abandon the idea of reloading that caliber unless a plentiful supply of regular priced brass was available on the market.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.