Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am buying a new press. I am looking at the Dillon square deal or the Lee turret press any opinions. Does any one have a setup for sale?

·
Registered
191 Posts
Actually, my new Lee Loadmaster for 45 auto just came in. Can't wait to get it set up and cranking ammo.

I use a RockChucker for all my other low volume ammo. What are you going to load and at what volume? That really is the detyermining factor in press selection IMHO.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Actually, my new Lee Loadmaster for 45 auto just came in. Can't wait to get it set up and cranking ammo.

I use a RockChucker for all my other low volume ammo. What are you going to load and at what volume? That really is the determining factor in press selection IMHO.
My plan is to reload 9mm, .32 for now. The gunshop/Range I goto keeps pushing me to get the square deal. (lifetime warr, but I think lee has the same warr) i have the lee Th edition reloading book and they seem to describe the use of there products better than anything I can find on Dillon. if I go the Dillon route. than i might just spend the extra 200 for the 550. I do not know, Just don't want to have buyers remorse when it gets here.. If I am gonna spend the money I just want to be sure that I dont need to upgrade sooner than later.

·
Administrator
35,408 Posts
If I remember correctly, the Square Deal will only do pistol calibers. I wanted to be able to reload rifle calibers at some point.....so after looking at Cabelas, I bought the Hornady Lock N Load Classic kit. Came with the press, powder measure, digital scale, and some other tools. So far I've been very happy with it, and it only cost me $299 on sale. I think they're now about $325 but there is a rebate of 500 185 grain XTP bullets if you buy in 2012.

Go look and buy the press that works best for you. I'd stick to single stage until you're comfortable with moving on to a progressive.....but some guys never move on, they enjoy the single stage too much. ;)

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If I remember correctly, the Square Deal will only do pistol calibers. I wanted to be able to reload rifle calibers at some point.....so after looking at Cabelas, I bought the Hornady Lock N Load Classic kit. Came with the press, powder measure, digital scale, and some other tools. So far I've been very happy with it, and it only cost me $299 on sale. I think they're now about $325 but there is a rebate of 500 185 grain XTP bullets if you buy in 2012.

Go look and buy the press that works best for you. I'd stick to single stage until you're comfortable with moving on to a progressive.....but some guys never move on, they enjoy the single stage too much. ;)
you are correct the square deal only does pistol loads. Is a progressive press that much more to look after? vs a single stage

·
Registered
860 Posts
From what I've see in product reviews, the Lee turret press seems to be the most versatile press for your money.

·
Registered
3,988 Posts
I actually just bought a friends loading setup that he sold me cheap. He has had some serious health problems and high bills so had to sell everything to pay them.

At any rate I got two Lee Pro 1000 presses with 45 colt, 38/357, 9mm, 45 acp and a couple of others I don't shoot. I also got at least a 1000 rounds of brass, primers,bulletss and primers for 45 colt, 9mm and 45 acp as well as 4 different kinds of powder. Part of what I got is pictured below but not all of it as I have two brass cleaners the one not show is Hornady Lock-N-Load Sonic Cleaner as well as other dies and loading plate assemblies. I also got two scales a beam type and electronic. There was also a few boxes shown loaded with extra parts and such. There is also a quick release base that he didn't use and a bullet loader not shown in the pictures.

Lee Pro 1000 presses.jpg Franklin Tumbler.jpg

·
Super Moderator
35,133 Posts
The Dillon is a press for a lifetime, but changing calibers is more hassle. I have a Square Deal, have had for 20 years near bouts. It's set up for 9x19. I recently sent it to Dillon for a refurbish. Came back like new no charge. They've got the best CS in reloading IMHO. I also load on a Pro 1000, doesn't compare well to the Lee, but it is a lot easier to swap calibers on. I have a .45 ACP and .38/.357 set up for it. All else I load on an old Lyman turret press. The turret press is less to watch, but slower.

·
Registered
36,454 Posts
What is the difference between the classic and the deluxe by Lee
I believe cast iron and Aluminum construction, but you might want to double check that!

·
Registered
3,737 Posts
I believe cast iron and Aluminum construction, but you might want to double check that!
You are correct. Also I believe the Classic has a longer stroke. Here is the link. Turret Press - Lee Precision I have the Classic and have reloaded a few thousand 9s, .380s, and .40s on it. I wish I had bought it sooner. I have the Breech Lock Challenger for rifle rounds. I don't think you can get more for your money with Lee products.

·
Registered
5,348 Posts
I used to have an RCBS single stage press. But if I were to start reloading again. I wouldn't spend money on anything less than a progressive press. The Dillon Square D is supposed to be a pretty nice press. And, they have one of the best warranties in the biz....

·
Registered
181 Posts
I have the Lee Turret 4 hole. I have run about 2500 rounds in 9mm and 45. No problems. I know the progressive presses are faster, but I am not in that big of a hurry. I can run about 125 RPH (that's rounds per hour) :D Without even thinking about it.

Paul

·
Super Moderator
36,396 Posts
I have the Lee Deluxe Turret kit with about 12,000 rounds built so far. I can run it as a single stage for rifle ammo or as an indexing turret for pistol calibers. So far I've loaded 38 Special, 357 magnum, 45 ACP and 44 Magnum and can load about 160/hour comfortably. I probably have less that 500.00 in the whole setup including the turrets/dies for the above, scales, tumbler, bullet puller, reloading book, and other miscellaneous equipment. It's good equipment, versatile and value priced....come to think of it, just like Taurus.

·
Registered
896 Posts
The Dillion one has to have its own set up in order to reload. IIRC....Also, The warranty. It is a NO BS warranty and they stand by their word as to what a lot of people say.

As for the Lee press, I have both the cast iron and the aluminum one. One has better construction and one has the primer tube. I load all pistol and rifle caliber on it without an issue.

Personally, If you don't want to spend to much money, I would opt for the Lee. But a lot of ppl will tell you that Dillion is the way to go. Its a personal prefrence thing I think.

I have 2 single stages by lee as well which are dedicated to do 30-06, 30-30 and .308. No problems there. Just switch out the dies and be done with it. The turrets are great tho, You can just switch the plates out with your dies in them in about 5 seconds and be loading another caliber.

·
Registered
896 Posts
that was the 49th edition of lee modern reloading
Um, Lee did not make a 49th edition. That is "Lymans 49th edition"

Lee has the "Lee Second edition" and "Lee Second edition Revised"

Don't mean to push that on to you, Just trying to help out.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I had a Lee LoadMaster for years, reloaded all sorts of handgun rounds on it. The two greatest things on it are the automatic case feeder and the auto-indexing feature. The two worst things on it are the primer feeder and the primer feeder (ha!). It tended to be a little "fiddly", but I sure loaded a LOT of ammo on it.

I finally sold the LoadMaster and bought a Dillon 550. No auto casefeeder (unless you want to spend big extra bucks) and is not auto-indexing. The Square Deal IS auto-indexing, if I understand correctly.

Anyway, I don't miss the auto indexing, and I don't miss the auto casefeeder very much. I don't time myself, but loading 100 rounds doesn't take long. 15 minutes tops, I'd say. For me, the priming system is a better system with the primer being contained in a cup which is, in turn, aligned by the shell plate. It doesn't prime with the same motion that sizes, feeds powder, seats, and crimps, but requires a separate action after the handle is returned to the "up" position. I like it because I can feel the primer seating.

I've never used a Lee Turret press, so I can't comment.

Single stage is great and I have a Lee Classic Cast press for that, but if you want to load any kind of volume at all, a progressive is the way to go.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
No Worries! I Have been so wrapped up in finding parts for a Taurus 905. I have been reading lymans and was looking at the lee book on the shelf! Thank you for the heads up!

1 - 20 of 36 Posts