Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Having issues firing reloads from my PT111. Loading 115gr LRN bullets with Clays and HS6 with CCI 500 primers. Only about 1 in 2 would actually fire from the gun. The loads that did fire were more accurate than any bulk ammo I have fired out of the gun and all except the lightest loads I had made up cycled the action properly. All rounds had been struck by the primer in both single and double action for the ones that didnt fire. After making it through about 100 rounds of reloads and only 50% going bang, I fired 10 of the 124gr Hydra-Shoks that I carry for personal defense with no issues. Unsure if it was the gun or the reloads I went out and picked up a box of target ammo and rented a Para Carry 9 to try my reloads through. Had a FTF of the target ammo in the first mag out of my PT111 but no issues after that. Loaded a mag of my own reloads into the Para and had no issues whatsoever, but when I attempted to fire identical reloads out of my PT Icontinued to get the FTF's. I then loaded a some of the reloads that I had already attempted to fire from the PT into the Para and all of them fired properly and cycled appropriately. Also, occasionally when I would load the reloads into the gun from the magazine and begin to depress the trigger it would be in DA. None of the rounds would fire like this but if I stopped ejected the round, reloaded it into the mag and then the gun, it would fire properly. Prior to this I have had 8 FTF in about 350 rounds, 6 from the same box of WinClean ammo. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Administrator
40,859 Posts
This probably doesn't help, but I have a Ruger semi-auto that does not like CCI primers. They seem to be harder.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have the same problem with my PT-140. Another guy on a different forum also is experiecing the same thing. I'm using winchester primers. was goign to try a different brand next time. Mine will fire but just have to pull the trigger twice on some of them. I would say over all maybe 10-15 ftfs in 100.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I was using the Lee Hand priming disk with the CCI primers which may have been my issue. Reloaded another 100 rounds this weekend 50 Federal match pistol and 50 CCI. All were primed on the bench (bottomed out) instead of with the hand primer since the primer strikes in the casings did not appear consistent with factory ammo. It appeared that the firing pin may have been pushing the primer farther into the case as well. Out of the 100 I loaded only had 6 FTF. 4 were CCI primers, 2 Federal. Most likely operator error with seating the primers. I didnt keep track of the casing manufacturer for any of the FTF but was told that could have something to do with it due to different factory seating depths only found in 9MM.

·
Registered
666 Posts
Sounds like you found your answer yourself, seat those primers firmly, they should be set below the surface of the casing.

Back when using a Lee Hand loader, I had enough primers go off trying to make sure I had them seated deep enough for my 357 my wife made me do it outside.

Watch for oil as well, oily fingers will defuse? the primers. My first attempt at 30-06 reload resulted in lots of duds, case lube from resizing on my fingers contaninated the primers.

I have one of those primer tools, never really carred for it, when using a single stage I use the Lee Press Ram prime I think its called with great success. My current Lee turret press does it on the up stroke that works well too. CCI primers are no problem for my 111.

Sounds like your doing good with better accuracy than me, WWB shoot better than any of my reloads yet.

David

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Resolved almost all issues. Had 150 out of 150 fire yesterday with no problems. Turns out the issues with the SA/DA trigger I was having was also operator error. Not being used to Taurus firearms my habit of reloading a fresh mag with the slide locked back and pressing the slide release to chamber a new round was what created the issues with some of the FTF as the trigger would be in DA and the firing pin would not strike the round properly. Yet when I ejected it and reloaded it racking the slide by hand it would fire with no problem. It's a little discouraging that if for some reason found it necessary I would be unable to conduct a speed reload without manually racking the slide. Is this a universal issue?

·
Super Moderator
35,697 Posts
First of all, most (as you found out) light strikes are from improperly seated primers, but I've owned guns (a Rossi 971) that wouldn't cap CCI primers which are harder than Winchester SPP (which I use) or other brands. I'd switch to Winchester primers, too, if I were you.

·
Super Moderator
35,697 Posts
Oh, I wore out a Lee hand priming tool rather rapidly. It stretched at the pivot pin such that it would not properly seat a primer. All my single stage priming is done on the press with an auto prime 2, now. Works a lot better. I don't like the Lee hand priming tool.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts