Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 107 Posts

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Would like to get into reloading and need some advise. Should I go with the lee classic or the lee load master? Should I buy the kit or buy dies separate? Going to start with 45acp. Thanks

·
Registered
4,792 Posts
Since you are just starting out and trying to learn stick with the lee Classic. The Lee load master is a progressive system. With a progressive, there is just to much going on at each station with each pull of the handle. It sometimes gets confusing for the experienced guys. Learn the basic information and procedures on a single stage or turret press. It's safer and less confusing.

·
Registered
10,614 Posts
Get a Lee Classic and a couple of handbooks on reloading before starting out. And you can pick our brains all you want. We are happy to help you any way we can.

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Since you are just starting out and trying to learn stick with the lee Classic. The Lee load master is a progressive system. With a progressive, there is just to much going on at each station with each pull of the handle. It sometimes gets confusing for the experienced guys. Learn the basic information and procedures on a single stage or turret press. It's safer and less confusing.
Is the load master considered a turret press?

·
Administrator
35,117 Posts
Moved to Reload section.

·
17,582 Posts
Well...it depends.

My gut says go with the Classic, but be honest about your mechanical ability/skills. If machines fascinate you rather than frustrate you the Loadmaster is faster, but ya gotta finagle it some. Some guys enjoy that, others not so much.

You want simple for sure....pass on the Loadmaster for now.

·
Registered
3,908 Posts
I learned on a single stage and I think that was for the best really. Best way to learn and I still use them a lot. Even if you have a Dillon, a single stage is very handy to have.

·
Super Moderator
35,553 Posts
The Lee Classic will serve as a beginner press as it did for me and will produce a couple of thousand rounds per month easily. You can use it as a single stage if you want, but I have always used mine as a turret. No die changes needed, once adjusted it's good to go. Every operation happens front and center. I've used mine for ten years and really feel no need to move to a progressive. Get your manual, price out the kits with Titan Reloading and FS Reloading and others...many times you get a better deal with the bundle...price them separately to see where the value lies. The Auto Drum powder handler usually sells for 50 +/-...

·
Registered
4,792 Posts
Is the load master considered a turret press?
No the load master is a progressive. With each handle pull, a round plate that holds 6 cases advance. Each station does a different reloading operations to one of the cases. When a case has had all operations performed, it's a finished round and ejected. A cleaned case is put into its slot and around it goes till it is finished.
There is too much going on for a new guy to keep it all straight.
Get a single stage or a turret press to learn on.
Here are a few turret press kits from Titan: https://leeprecision.com/reloading-kits/turret-press/

·
Registered
3,213 Posts
I cut my reloading teeth on my cousin's Dillon 550, and picked up a used Lee Classic turret for myself. After working with both, I'll stick with the Lee, as I don't have a need for speed, and check my work often.

·
Supporting Moderator
14,832 Posts
I have a progressive, my turret sees more action

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
I have the Load Master and single stage and I'm picking up the Lee Classic turret press today. I'll very likely sell the Load Master depending how I like loading handgun rounds on the turret. I would never suggest starting out on a progressive. A turret is very nearly as fast but much simpler and is a good tool for the beginner as well as the experienced reloader.

·
Registered
14,605 Posts
The typical progression of presses is:
Single stage - to learn how to reload. reloading is Stage 1, stage 1, stage 1, stage 1; stage 2, stage 2, stage 2, etc
Turret - to develop loads and increase production Reloading is Stage 1, stage 2, stage 3, stage 4.. next round, stage 1, stage 2, etc.
Progressive - to crank out loads in high volume. Reloading is Stages 1,2,3,4, eject, stage 1,2,3,4,eject, etc.
The turret press can also be run as a single stage by removing the indexing rod. Unless you're doing longer rifle rounds, very low quantity, high precision or even load workups, avoid a single stage, you'll outgrow it in a very short time. Also, if you don't know the process of reloading very well, avoid the progressive as mistakes will happen and can cost you life and limb.
If you're jumping into reloading, it would be better to buy a complete kit as that will provide the additional items such as powder measures, a scale, etc. Also get an older 4 hole turret over the 3 hole. Stages will be 1-decap and size, 1a - prime (done on the upstroke) 2 - flare and powder drop, 3 - bullet installation and seating, 4 - crimp. That's pretty much standard though with other presses, you can get upwards of 7 or 8 stations for additional operations or some separated. You may decap and size in 2 different operations. Reloading can be as simple or as difficult as you want to make it. I personally prefer the simple as it's relaxing for me. Also, don't buy into the brand hype. you do not need a Dillon 1050 ammo plant if you're reloading for a weekend of plinking or coming up with hunting rounds. Buy what works for you.

·
Super Moderator
35,553 Posts
I've loaded .223 Remington, 32 Winchester Special and 45-70 Government on my Lee Deluxe Turret. I continue to make quality ammo for ten years and tens of thousands of rounds.

Once you get your Turret Press, you'll want a dedicated bench. Here's one you can make for 10 or 20 bucks. I made a few out of materials on hand = Free

How To Build A Low-Cost Sturdy Work Bench From 2x4's And OSB

·
Registered
12,813 Posts
I was looking at Lyman's new 8 hole turret press and at under $200, I would be hard pressed not to start out with one of those. It offers a few advantages over the classic single stage in that once you set the dies, you can leave them in place.

This seems to be their basic reloading kit: https://www.midwayusa.com/product/544156/lyman-brass-smith-8-station-turret-reloading-kit

This is just the 8 hole turret press: https://www.midwayusa.com/product/757540/lyman-brass-smith-all-american-8-station-turret-press

They offer a high end reloading kit which looks like a really good deal until I noticed it is the older turret press. But if you don't mind the older 5 hole turret press, it is still a heck of a deal when you look at what comes with it. https://www.midwayusa.com/product/509109/lyman-ultimate-reloading-system

Both kits come with rebates for a free set of rifle or pistol dies. Since these rebates usually take at least 6 weeks I would get a set of dies for it when you make the purchase, and use the rebate for something you would reload much less often, i.e., hunting rifle.

I saw in the review of the base kit that someone wrote up a really nasty review that is all about the press, but when you look at reviews of the press itself, they are all positive.

·
Supporting Moderator
14,832 Posts
I've loaded .223 Remington, 32 Winchester Special and 45-70 Government on my Lee Deluxe Turret. I continues to make quality ammo for ten years and tens of thousands of rounds.

Once you get your Turret Press, you'll want a dedicated bench. Here's one you can make for 10 or 20 bucks. I made a few out of materials on hand = Free

How To Build A Low-Cost Sturdy Work Bench From 2x4's And OSB
NICE :thumb: set of plans for a bench. Substitute treated lumber and change the dimensions for a shooting bench on the range. STELLAR! where is that 1K likes button. :hand2:

Reactions: Taurus1965

·
Super Moderator
35,553 Posts
Just ordered the classic turret kit and die set from optics planet . $232.63 shipped.
Yee HAW...don't forget the manual! (it probably would have shipped free)

ETA...45 ACP is probably my favorite to load and with the price spread, makes the most sense....357 Magnum and 44 Magnum are right there also!

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Yee HAW...don't forget the manual! (it probably would have shipped free)

ETA...45 ACP is probably my favorite to load and with the price spread, makes the most sense....357 Magnum and 44 Magnum are right there also!
Think it may come with a reloading Manuel?

1 - 20 of 107 Posts