Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone , Im starting to reload for my tcp what are yi useing for your oal for 90 gr xtp ? I have tried .965 , .955, .935 and seens like nothing like to feed .

·
Registered
16,283 Posts
Accurate No.2 and 5 say OAL of .960 for the 90gr. XTP.
3.3 to 3.7 gr for No.2 and 4.3 to 4.8gr for No.5
Another list I have says .955 OAL.
Does factory ammo feed OK?
Maybe the mag has an issue.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Hornady's 7th edition states 0.965 COL for the 90 Gr. XTP. That is what I use with no problems .

May be a little anal, but I also trim cases to 0.675

The XTP has been the best performing bullet in my TCP.
Also use Hornady 90 Gr FTX for carry, shoot just like the XTP's

·
Registered
16,283 Posts
I just happen to have 1 round of .380 auto and the case length is what he said, .675".
COAL is .950"

It's not XTP, but here it is:

SN850250.JPG

·
Registered
36,115 Posts
Hi everyone , Im starting to reload for my tcp what are yi useing for your oal for 90 gr xtp ? I have tried .965 , .955, .935 and seens like nothing like to feed .
MY GOD MAN!!-LOL
Its all about the powder!!
whats the powder that you are using??
the XTP, Golden Sabre, Gold Dot , such modern design self defense rounds are longer than conventioanl hollow points so they can weigh about the same as the conventional hollow points, and if you go to all copper and its a new world in OAL and powder loads as the propjctiles are much,much longer!
anyway, what powder are you using, and we can give you a "STARTING LOAD"to work off of.
as the length of the projectile is longer if you set the OAL at the same as a conventional hollow point then likely you gonna have a high pressure and possibly unsafe pressure as you have reduced case capacity, again depends on the powder..

·
Registered
36,115 Posts
Accurate No.2 and 5 say OAL of .960 for the 90gr. XTP.
3.3 to 3.7 gr for No.2 and 4.3 to 4.8gr for No.5
Another list I have says .955 OAL.
Does factory ammo feed OK?
Maybe the mag has an issue.
Or perhaps the cartridge doe not have enough power to properly work the action, after all we are talking about a semi automatic pistol.
also a very slow burning powder may not have the correct burn rate to provide power in the barrel before exiting.
just a few thoguhts on short barrels and burn rates.
accurate #2 and accurate #5 does not work well in my Beretta PX4 SC with a 3 inch barrel, producing failure to feed in about 10% of the firings, switch to HP-38 or Unique an it runs like a swiss watch on the exact same projectile, primer and OAL.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Hornady's 7th edition states 0.965 COL for the 90 Gr. XTP. That is what I use with no problems .

May be a little anal, but I also trim cases to 0.675

The XTP has been the best performing bullet in my TCP.
Also use Hornady 90 Gr FTX for carry, shoot just like the XTP's
Just a little follow up on my loads, I use Power Pistol.
Load listed is 4.0 to 4.7 Grs, taken from the same Edition.
I run right around the middle.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ok , i might have jumped the gun these are dummy round to make sure they will chamber and rack by hand . I was trying to get my oal. befor i was going to put powder in them . I have 6 reloading book and they all have differant oal. so thats why i was going to find what everyone was useing. thanks

·
Super Moderator
40,478 Posts
My factory XTP are pretty consistent at 0.9555. I will be reloading .380 soon and will target this same OAL as they feed 100% of the time. Will also check OAL on Critical defense as they have also feed 100% of the time.

·
Registered
896 Posts
Each gun is different. Sometimes some bullets wont feed with said OAL but most should. That being said, Mark it with a marker all the way around with a black marker. Then chamber the round. Then eject the round. Look at where the marker has come off. This is where the bullet is hitting the rifling in your barrel. It will need to be set back just enough in order for it to chamber just right.

Start low with your loads and work up slowly with it.

·
Registered
36,115 Posts
Ok , i might have jumped the gun these are dummy round to make sure they will chamber and rack by hand . I was trying to get my oal. befor i was going to put powder in them . I have 6 reloading book and they all have differant oal. so thats why i was going to find what everyone was useing. thanks
many times OAL will change with the same projectile when you change the powder as its a different burn rate and builds pressure peaks differently.
The 380 is such a small capacity case that pressure can become a problem quite fast with minor changes in the construction of the cartridge.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts