Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am seriously thinking about getting into reloading. I shoot 38 spl, 357 mag, 44 spl, and 44 mag. I haven't reloaded since the earlly 1980's when I used a little Lee Loader with the spoons and mallet. I think I can probably do better now a days. Okay, folks have told me that carbon dies are the way to go, avoiding lubing shell cases. But that's about the only preference I have regarding equipment. Probably the simpler the better for me, and used equipment seems like it could be a good way to go. Unless you guys think otherwise.
Any thoughts or suggestions?

Respectfully,
John Marke

Administrator
It's carbide. And yes! they are the way to go!:thumb:

Reactions: MOONDAWG

Registered
I use carbide, but also lube with One Shot.

Don't be too surprised with the costs -- reloading equpment tends to hold its value pretty well, especially Dillon.

Administrator
I use carbide dies for both 45acp and 9mm - any straight-walled case you can get in carbide. And I've never had to lube any cases either.

Super Moderator
If I was starting up again, I'd get a Lee Turret. It's probably the best bang for your buck and will give you some speed, which is more useful to handgun shooters who tend to go through more ammo.

That said, I use a Dillon.

Registered
I agree with TTG, I load 9mm and .45acp, use carbide dies and no lube needed. Get at least 2 different reloading books, Hornady, Lyman, etc. Plus you can get good load data from the various powder manufactuers web sites.

Registered
Carbide is the way to go; a little more expensive but WELL worth it.

No mess to clean up and they last forever.

They will speed up you load time immensely!
:thumb:

Registered
I just got back into reloading myself but I have to agree, Carbide is the way to go. No you dont have to use lube but you can if you want to. I use a single stage Lee but its what ever you feel comfortable with. Do you want to load alot of rounds fast? or just load a few here and there? If loading alot of rounds in a faster time is needed a turret will be your best bet. As for Lee or Dillon or RCBS,etc its up to you. Myself and most of my friends and family have always used Lee products and we always have had great success.

Registered
I reload handgun rounds on a progressive, and rifle on three single stage presses. The singles I bought off ebay and paid under $40 a piece, it just takes a while and watching a lot of auctions. I like RCBS dies the best, but usually buy LEE, they are my second favorite and a lot cheaper, all my pistol dies are carbide and I do not lube them.

Registered
I reload 9mm, 45 ACP and 45 Colt and use all Lee Carbide dies. I never have had to lube. Now I also load 45-70 and do use One Shot for them. I also use RCBS cowboy die meant for Magtech brass shot shells and no need to lube it either at least that I've found. Since I load with black powder in these shells I did have a powder/wad press built custom to compress the loads as I go on the Lee Classic Cast press.

For pistol and rifle though the Lee Classic Turret is very hard to beat and that is what I use.

Registered
I don't know if you can find a better set up for a beginner as well as advanced reloader thats not interested in turning out volumes of ammo in mintes than the Lee turret press.
Years ago when i use to reload a lot of rifle rounds and reformed brass for wildcats I had a huge overbuilt single station press for that but actually found out the LEE turret press would handle that job as well.
and for me yep Carbide dies are the only way to go unless you have some obscure caliber (30 Luger/ 357 Sig) that they are not available in.
good luck and be safe.

Registered
If I was starting up again, I'd get a Lee Turret. It's probably the best bang for your buck and will give you some speed, which is more useful to handgun shooters who tend to go through more ammo.
Same here.

I was told to stay away from Lee, so I bought only RBCS products. I now know better.

Administrator
I don't know if you can find a better set up for a beginner as well as advanced reloader thats not interested in turning out volumes of ammo in mintes than the Lee turret press.
Years ago when i use to reload a lot of rifle rounds and reformed brass for wildcats I had a huge overbuilt single station press for that but actually found out the LEE turret press would handle that job as well.
and for me yep Carbide dies are the only way to go unless you have some obscure caliber (30 Luger/ 357 Sig) that they are not available in.
good luck and be safe.

Carbide dies are for straight-walled cases. 357 Sig and 30 Luger are bottlenecked cases.....they wouldn't normally be available for those cartridges.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Can I use Lee 357/38 and 44/44 mag dies on the same press, say for instance, a Lee Classic Turret?

Registered
Can I use Lee 357/38 and 44/44 mag dies on the same press, say for instance, a Lee Classic Turret?
As a rule of thumb, most reloading dies are a standard 7/8"X14, so the quick answer is 99.74% most likely.

Every once in a while I've read of someone having a problem with the length of a particular brand die on a different particular brand press, but that has been so rare that I can't even remember what the last one was.

I load on a Dillon, I use dies from RCBS, Dillon, and Lee (and probably even Lyman -- I'd have to look) with no problems.

Before the Dillon, I loaded on a Lyman Spar-T, and used most of the same dies with just as much success.

Super Moderator
The nice thing about the Lee Turret press is you can buy an extra turret for under $10.00 and leave your dies set up. I have a turret for each caliber I reload. No need to mess with die settings everytime you change calibers. Just insert correct turret and verify settings are correct and you are good to go.

Edit: found picture on internet, I prefer 4 hole turrets.

Registered
I just picked up the Lee Classic Turret for Christmas, and even though I haven't actually reloaded anything yet (First batch will be this afternoon!),
I'll throw my vote for it as well. The best part is, for under $200 +s/h, you can get the kit, which includes everything you need to start (Press, Pro Powder
measure, Safety Primer, scale, case trimmer, primer pocket cleaner, and most important, the Lee Reloading manual) except for the dies. The dies will run you
about $40 for the Lee Deluxe Carbide 4 die set. I too, haven't touched a reloader since the 80's, and I sure don't remember the single stage press back then
being even close to the quality of this turret press.

Registered
I use a Lee Classic Turret Press loading 45 ACP & 9mm its a great loader, You can save money buying it in a kit that will include about everything you need including the manual.
Utube has some really good videos (and some bad ones) about how to use them, just be selective about the ones you watch

Registered
Utube has some really good videos (and some bad ones) about how to use them, just be selective about the ones you watch
True Dat! I found this series of 4 to be a good start. He covers quite a bit.

Reactions: dogchild
1 - 20 of 43 Posts