Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Administrator
35,172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally got my Lee seating die issue resolved, so I wanted to crank out some 30-30. I must say that reloading in this caliber is a real pleasure, and I LOVE the Hornady 160 grain FTX bullets. They're boattailed, and very easy to seat.

The Hodgdon Hornady LeverLution powder meters extremely well through my powder throw. I used both Winchester and Remington cases....can't wait to try these out and see how accurate they are.

·
Banned
15,276 Posts
I have yet to move into reloading rifle ammo, but it is my intent to start next year with .223 and 30-30. I need to get the dies soon so I will be ready.

Your reloads look fine, will be interested in the results.

·
Administrator
35,172 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have yet to move into reloading rifle ammo, but it is my intent to start next year with .223 and 30-30. I need to get the dies soon so I will be ready.
Your reloads look fine, will be interested in the results.
Yep, those are the two rifle cartridges I reload for as well. 223 is fun too, but not as easy with my bigger fingers. ;)

·
Registered
20,085 Posts
After years of looking at the traditional round nose 30-30 bullet/round I still do a double take with the tapered LeverLution rounds! Shoot 'em safe, well and often!!!

Reactions: texastaurusguy

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
I'm shooting those in my .30-30 AI with IMR4064 and they shoot very good, less drop than the round nose 170gr I liked before.

·
Registered
10,614 Posts
How does that do at 100 yards? Used 150's with 28.5 gr of H335. Used to run this with a Lyman 310 Tong Tool (using and old set of Ideal dies) as it only neck sizes the casings. Won many Turkey Shoots with this load and killed quite a few coyotes that plagued some of the local ranchers.

·
Registered
653 Posts
I loaded all of my 30-30 bras the other week with 150gr Sierra SP's. Somewhere around 250 pieces. Now I get to empty em. I have actually been wanting to load the 30-30 for almost a year now. Had the materials and equipment to do it, just other stuff always got done first.

·
Administrator
35,172 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Really, what is so strange about them?
Well, typically a 30-30 cartridge would look more like the one you have on the far left. As you probably know, if you load the pointed profile bullet into a lever action rifle tube, you could bump the primer hard enough to detonate one of the rounds. Typical profile for this rifle is either rounded bullet, or flat point.

Reactions: olfarhors

·
Registered
762 Posts
I've tried the 160 gr FTX with Leverevolution in my Remlin with poor results thus far. Best I can do is a 3 1/2" group at 100 yds. It seems that it's a bullet that your rifle either loves or hates. I'm not giving up though. I still have 200 FTX's so I'll start fiddling around again in the spring.

·
Premium Member
16,955 Posts
Oh I like loading .30-30, .32 Special, .22 hornet all rimmed cases easy and much less time consuming....

·
Registered
4,649 Posts
Well, typically a 30-30 cartridge would look more like the one you have on the far left. As you probably know, if you load the pointed profile bullet into a lever action rifle tube, you could bump the primer hard enough to detonate one of the rounds. Typical profile for this rifle is either rounded bullet, or flat point.
The flat point is for my Winchester and the tracer and armor piercing are for my Contender.

·
Registered
82 Posts
30-30 was my 1st rifle to get reloads. Its a good one to learn on. The case size is pretty conducive to a wide variety of loadings. Ranging from mouse fart loads to max jacketed loads.
When you get done spending money on jacketed bullets you can keep shooting on the cheap.
My two favorite 30-30 loads are 150gr LEE cast boolit ahead of about 15.5 gr of 2400. Shoots cheap and easy inside 2 inches at 100 yards.
Another mouse fart load is a 115gr 32-20 pistol boolit ahead of about 7 or 8 gr of Unique. Those will keep the pop cans flying all day long.

Have fun and learn lots.

·
Administrator
35,172 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Boy, those look alot like the bullets I got from Missouri Bullet Company. I haven't shot these yet, but I mean to rectify that soon.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts