Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
896 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,

I recently got into reloading myself like many members here. I wanted to reload for my .45 but after I shot my .357, I ended up buying some brass and a die set for it to get me started. Im gonna put out a list of what I have and would like to know if I need anything else before I get started.

BTW, I want to cast my own boolits for this so I know I need a mold to do this with and probably a sizer kit in order to get it going. Anyways, Here we go.

Ruger GP-100 .357 3' ( Gun that will be shooting reloads )
Lyman 49th Edition
Lee 4 Hole Turret Press
Lee Safety Scale
Brass - 300 rounds of range pickup mixed H.S
Small Pistol Primers - About 500
BullsEye Powder
Lee Deluxe 4 Die 38SPL/357MAG

All I need is boolits/bullets as far as I can think of? It seems like I have what I need.

Also, I wouldn't mind a recommendation as to what boolit/bullet I can use for a decent target/plinking round. This is actually something else I need to do because I haven't settled on what round or recipe to use for this. I would like something easy to start of with really...

So as far as I see I need a mold and probably a size kit. If I don't just buy them anyways as well as a recipe to begin with. What am I missing?

·
Registered
97 Posts
So, I assume you are reloading .38 Spec. cases not .357 mag. cases correct?

If so, I have a nice load for you, if interested.

Also I would hold off a bit on the boolit casting until you consider yourself and an experienced reloader.
Once you are extremely comfortable reloading a few calibers...then see which calibers and firearms you enjoy shooting the most,
then dive into the casting.

just MHO....

Good Luck and Enjoy!

·
Registered
896 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Correct. I am reloading .38 special and shooting them in a .357 mag revolver.

I have about 44 cases of .357 so Im not going to bother with those until I get some more and probably some Magnum Primers when its called for. For now, Its target, Range and plinking.

I was thinking about holding off about that as well but I was thinking of just having the mold around because I already have about 120-130 lbs of Ingots. I was thinking Berrys for this rather. Seeing as Im suppose to use lead data for it anyways. At this time, It would be cheaper for me to cast my own but then I don't want it to cost me more because of my inexperience with cast bullets.

So, If you could mention that load? :D

BTW, You don't see anything missing from that list? Wanna make sure I got it right!

·
Administrator
17,592 Posts
I'm using the Berry's 158 grain Plated Flat Points over 3.8 grains of WST. However, 2.8 to 3.0 grains of Bullseye should work as well. Velocity is 750 fps or a bit more depending upon Revolver. I use this as a plinking/general target load for my .357 Mag and .38 Special Revolvers.

·
Registered
129 Posts
If you can, get a digital scale and also a powder funnel. Using the Lee Safty Scale can be very time consuming, in my opinion. When ever you check the weight, you will need to put the powder back into the case, so that's the reason for a powder funnel. For plinking. LSWC are a good bullet, to use. Again, in my opinion.

·
Registered
3,749 Posts
You mentioned that you have Bullseye powder on hand. I have been using 3.5 grains of Bullseye under any 158 grain bullet, lead or plated or jacketed with a standard primer, which is what you listed, in any good 38 Special case. I have been using that load for over 50 years. It is standard pressure rated and shoots well in every 38/357 revolver I've ever owned and I lost count of how many that is. Have fun and be safe.

·
Registered
127 Posts
A powder dispenser or a set of dippers will save you a lot of time and might make things a bit more consistent, depending on how patient and careful you are with the scale.

I like 3.5 gr. of Bullseye under a 158 gr. lead bullet.

·
Registered
27,120 Posts
For plinking and target you can't beat the 148 grain wadcutter. I recently switched to the plated bullets from Ranier. They're significantly cleaner - and only slightly more expensive. (~$101/1000)
The powder I use is AA#2, which is very close to Bullseye. The range of load with either powder is 3.1-3.5 gr. (I use 3.1)

·
Registered
97 Posts
Yes, my load for .38 Special is: 158 grain Semi WC over 4.0 grains of Unique with Win. Small Pistol primers.
OAL=1.435

·
Registered
29,845 Posts
...The powder I use is AA#2, which is very close to Bullseye...
I still use Bullseye on ocassion but switched to AA#2 for most of my target loads because it burned so much cleaner in my guns, and was not near as "smokey" on indoor ranges; and the burn rates are so close you can use the same loading data (with the usual precautions).

·
Registered
896 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the replys guys, I was thinking 148 or 158. The SWC has had my attention a lot because people have reported constantly about great accuracy.

I forgot to mention that i have about 2-3 powder funnels. Ill be getting a powder dipper with my new set of dies im waiting on. It would be that one and the one with my 45 dies that I have available as powder dippers.

I want to get a digital scale. Im not to fond of the Lee Safety Scale to be honest to you.... :/ Its not bad but.....I think there are just much better out there even for under $50. I have a powder dispenser, The one that sits on the expander thru die. I forgot the name of it! Lol.

So other than a digital scale and bullets, Seems like im good to go.

Thanks guys :D Hopefully Ill be shooting some reloads by the end of the week!

·
Registered
650 Posts
Another point of view on the scales. The Lee is slighty more difficult to use than some others. But it is dead on accurate. You can spend hundreds more and won't be any more accurate. My recommendation for something easier is a beam that is quicker to settle and read. RCBS, Redding and other make some good ones. If you stick with the Lee you are loosing nothing in accuracy, you just have to get used to reading it.

A digital scale for weighing powder is just a bad idea. They drift and aren't very reliable. If you spend a few hundred on one of the really nice ones, they are +-.1 grain. Just like the Lee beam scale.

My digital is used to weight bullets and brass, but not powder.

·
Registered
116 Posts
When you start casting i would reccomend a Lee six cavity mold, but you may get frustrated trying to learn with it. The six cavity molds turn out a thousand good bullets a session for me without tiring me. They do need a 20 lb bottom pour furnace though. Do not use the factory crimp die with lead bullets as it will squeeze the diameter of the bullet and cause leading! I have no problems using the LFCD in 9mm with lead bullets, but it will readily reduce the diameter of my bullets in .38/.357 and 45 colt. An easy way for you to set your seat/crimp die when loading lead bullets is to screw the die in according to the instructions (so no crimp is applied) and when you get your bullet depth set, just back the bullet seater stem out several turns then turn the die in till the desired crimp is achieved and run the crimped round back into the die and turn the bullet seater stem back in till it touches the bullet. Load another round and see if you need to make a fine adjustment to the seater stem and you are all set with out ruining a single round.

·
Registered
896 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for that tip! I wish I had got the 3 die set instead after finding out how useless the FCD is towards the 38 spl rounds are. Meh, Maybe for jacket and plated then?

Okay quick question,

I have the 158 GR data for the FP bullet in my Lymans manual. # 358665. Can I use this data for a SWC? Im looking to buy MBC 158 GR SWC and want to know if this is the data I need to be using.They say there .38 match on MBC.

ANY INFO WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECCIATE!

·
Registered
855 Posts
Yes, my load for .38 Special is: 158 grain Semi WC over 4.0 grains of Unique with Win. Small Pistol primers.
OAL=1.435
Question, my Speer manual has a starting load of 4.3gr of unique for a 158gr swc with an oal of 1.440". Care to share why you deviated as you did?

To op, I recommend you get a trip measure, the Lee Perfect Powder Measure has worked great for me it might do the same for you.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Thanks for that tip! I wish I had got the 3 die set instead after finding out how useless the FCD is towards the 38 spl rounds are. Meh, Maybe for jacket and plated then?

Okay quick question,

I have the 158 GR data for the FP bullet in my Lymans manual. # 358665. Can I use this data for a SWC? Im looking to buy MBC 158 GR SWC and want to know if this is the data I need to be using.They say there .38 match on MBC.

ANY INFO WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECCIATE!
IMO the factory crimp die is the best crimping tool to use for jacketed bullets. It did not work with Gold dots in 45 long colt though and i am not sure about other plated bullets either. Sometimes it will work with a lead bullet too depending on your groove dia. such as blackpowder revolvers (pietta only) with conversion cylinders. Just don't use it with lead bullets in modern guns unless you want to spend a lot of time scraping lead out of your bore.

Yes, you can use the same data for the rnfp bullets and swc's. I have always used the same data for these bullet styles. It doesn't matter how much bullet is out of the case as long as it still chambers in your revolver, it matters how much bullet is inside the case and all of the rnfp's and swc's i have used in the same weights had about the same amount of bullet inside the case and this is what will dictate chamber pressures. You can still use them even if they take up slightly more case capacity as long as you are starting out 10% under max and working up.

·
Registered
896 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
IMO the factory crimp die is the best crimping tool to use for jacketed bullets. It did not work with Gold dots in 45 long colt though and i am not sure about other plated bullets either. Sometimes it will work with a lead bullet too depending on your groove dia. such as blackpowder revolvers (pietta only) with conversion cylinders. Just don't use it with lead bullets in modern guns unless you want to spend a lot of time scraping lead out of your bore.

Yes, you can use the same data for the rnfp bullets and swc's. I have always used the same data for these bullet styles. It doesn't matter how much bullet is out of the case as long as it still chambers in your revolver, it matters how much bullet is inside the case and all of the rnfp's and swc's i have used in the same weights had about the same amount of bullet inside the case and this is what will dictate chamber pressures. You can still use them even if they take up slightly more case capacity as long as you are starting out 10% under max and working up.
I usually go with the starting grains. Im not going anywhere near max loads until I have more sense of how things are going.
I called Berrys today and asked them if I could load there plated bullets with lead data. The lady I spoke to said that I can do that.
I asked them since you don't have a SWC in stock, Can I use the FP in it's place? She said N-O. Simply because it was another type of bullet. When I asked her if I could use the FP for a TC type, She said that's fine because of the way of the bullet is made.

After looking at my manual, The bullet is a FP anyways....So I put my order in today and they said I should have it in about 3 days. We well see about that! :D

·
Registered
116 Posts
I asked them since you don't have a SWC in stock, Can I use the FP in it's place? She said N-O. Simply because it was another type of bullet. When I asked her if I could use the FP for a TC type, She said that's fine because of the way of the bullet is made.
:D
The reason she told you no is because if you load a swc to the suggested OAL of the FP it would be seated too deep in the case and cause dangerous pressures, but if you seat to the crimp groove which is what you would be doing you would end up with a longer OAL with the swc, but a perfectly safe round. FP and TC bullet styles usually will have the same OAL per caliber/weight. Any time you are loading for a revolver you can use the same bullet weight in swc's and RNFP's as long as you seat to the crimp groove and determine your own OAL from your first loaded round. There may be some exceptions, but the bullets i have used have the same amount of bullet in the case when seated to the crimp groove if the weight is the same.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts