Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just getting started and was wondering if the older manuals were worth buying? Working on building up my library and ordered the new lyman manual but I've got bits on ebay for some manuals from the 80's and 90's. Do the loads change over the years or has the recipe for the powders change? I've read that the loads have become more conservative over the years and some of the old loads were pretty hot. Were the load manuals from the 60's and 70's to hot and when did they start making them milder?

·
Registered
178 Posts
Stephpd, I think the older manuals are a vital source of information. I never throw one away, & have been known to buy old ones that I don't have. Sooner or later you will want data for old discontinued powders & that is the place to get it. Frank

·
Registered
110 Posts
That may depend on just how old it is. Really old ones may call for powders no longer available. They also won't have loads for newer calibers. But I never throw out old ones, either. Seems like the newer manuals pussify the loads, probably to keep themselves away from lawyers.

·
Super Moderator
34,952 Posts
I still have a speer #8 and #11. My first, was my grandpa's, was a PO Ackley manual from the late 50s, not sure where that one went. I have some others, too. I need to buy a new one, though. There's lots of new powders and burn rates can change on a given powder over time. Alway good to keep updated. But, I haven't developed a load in quite a while. I have my standard loads for each gun and I haven't bought a new caliber in a while.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts