Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
what differences are there? Any? I can't get a call through to Taurus (shocker) to find out. Anyone know? Certainly not capacity so is it trigger pull weight?

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
I'm not sure by any means, but I don't think there is a specific California compliant 856. I just think the 856 is California compliant and some people advertise that fact and some don't. The guns I saw that were California compliant had the same Taurus part number as the regular 856's.

·
22,975 Posts
I'd bet flareside_ford is right. I've never heard of an issue in CA that would force Taurus to change anything about a DA revolver design.

I say that in part to goad anyone who knows otherwise to speak up.

·
Registered
316 Posts
There's no difference. It just is marked like that in some online stock inventories so that CA citizens can see that is allowed for them.

·
Registered
572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, I just picked it up from the store, got it home, and noticed (now, uh!) that the barrel is canted. I have a call into Taurus for warranty service. We'll see if they call me back today or not.

·
Registered
572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It's on its way back to Taurus. Fingers crossed they fix or replace it.

·
Registered
188 Posts
I don't know if this is correct or a typo, but the SKU's are different.
The Taurus website and catalog list the regular 856 as 856029 and the CA legal 856 as 85629.
They are listed separately.

·
Registered
512 Posts
Got my new one. Installed the Galloway spring kit, the oem 3 finger grip, and polished the hammer strut. It's super sweet now!
All of my Taurus revolvers get Galloway kits. I kept the OEM grip on my stainless model and replaced the rubber grip with a Hogue rosewood grip on the steel version. Sweet indeed.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I don't know if this is correct or a typo, but the SKU's are different.
The Taurus website and catalog list the regular 856 as 856029 and the CA legal 856 as 85629.
They are listed separately.
it's the same gun. There's nothing about a regular 856 that wouldn't allow it to be sold in California. Taurus and other manufacturers that sell in California and have certified guns for California have to set aside a certain run of guns as being "for California only". Those get specific SKUs. Beyond that it is totally meaningless for the 856. For a semi-auto it would mean it didn't ship with high capacity mags. None of the California certified guns are built differently.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts