Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
(Don't know if there is already a thread about this, didn't find one in a search). So what guns in your past do you regret getting rid of?

For me it was my very first gun back in 1985, a Ruger Mini-14 with an unusually light colored stock that was referred to as "blonde". I also regret selling my very second gun an AR-15 the original A1 model with the old style triangle handguards. I actually practiced with that before going into the Army and it helped (we were among the last recruits to train with the old M-16A1).

I also had an old Winchester Model 70 (not a pre-64) that couldn't hold groups until I free-floated the barrel and turned it into a tack-driver. I gave it to my brother who was moving to the Oregon wilderness, I figured he needed it more than me. Oh and then there was the Model 70 Featherweight cut down to a carbine.....

·
Registered
373 Posts
None. Made money on all guns I have sold, which in turn led to better guns! But in all reality I tend to hold onto just bout all guns I buy.

·
Registered
436 Posts
I regret getting rid of my first S&W SW9VE ( traded + Cash for a vehicle). Because then I would not have had to spend the money on a new one.

·
Registered
1,632 Posts
Sell a gun? I don't think I have it in me.

Reactions: Armedpatriot

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
I tend to not sell any gun that means something to me but my first gun was a Daisy Model 104 double barrel BB gun that I sold to buy my first shotgun. Should have just saved up. I also had a 44 mag Ruger Blackhawk 11.5" barrel SS that I bought with a 4X scope and custom case for $350 at a pawn shop and stupidly sold.

My biggest gun losses come from theft. When I was about 13 someone broke into my grandfathers house and stole my Mossberg 410, which was not a huge loss but they also stole his Remington Model 8 Rifle and a 20 guage Browning Auto-5 that he had spent a fortune having it converted to 28guage. Stupid criminals!!!

·
Registered
570 Posts
S&W Model 53 .22 Jet

Pre 64 Model 70 .300 H&H:icon_ cry:

·
Super Moderator
21,441 Posts
My Sig 55.6 Doctor bills got the best of me you got to live kinda, so I thought I could replace it. Now I am having a hard time coming up with the extra $1000. I would settle for a M&P AR. they seem pretty well made. But the Sig was piston driven and even after shooting many rounds was clean as can be. The rest of my guns are the first I ever bought or are gifts from uncles and my father so they will never go.

·
Registered
8,150 Posts
My Enfield MK 4. If I could, my older, wiser self would tell the younger me, "Don't even think about parting with it!" :)

·
Registered
200 Posts
My Browning BT-99, I want to get back into trap shooting.

My Ruger Security Six---stainless & 4" barrel----sold it to a friend so he could use it to go backpacking. Sold it to cheap---I got a Taurus model 66 to replace it. It's nice but that Ruger felt like alot of gun.

·
Registered
34,138 Posts
I bought a Ruger Super Blackhawk 44 Mag in 1967. I shot more than half a million rounds through that revolver. I had it rebuilt twice. I sold it in a weak moment about 12 years ago. I really miss that gun.

·
17,585 Posts
A 4" barreled S&W .44 Hand Ejector, 3rd Model, that was made in the late 30's. Somebody had sent it back to the factory for a re-blue, it looked really good. A little too good for a gun of it's vintage. It was very tight in spite of it's age and was a great shooter, and probably the perfect holster gun.

·
Registered
15,646 Posts
I do not regret selling any of the guns that I have sold.
Rock Island 1911, PT145, & PT709 I replaced them with PT1911, PT945, PT911.

·
Registered
4,776 Posts
I miss my Super Blachawk.

My dad got a neat .22 1911 style pistol / rifle from the police department he worked for in the 50's. You could lock the slide back and remove the barrel. You could then put the pistol into the carbine stock. It was the first rifle with a pistol grip that I had seen.

I grew up knowing it was always in the grandfather clock.

My dad asked me to sell it for him. I sold it for $200. I should have given him $200 and kept it myself.

·
Super Moderator
40,413 Posts
Never sold one, hope I never have to.

·
Member Emeritus 1946-2018
35,996 Posts
I dealt with cancer eleven years ago. Went through two surgeries and a lot of down time...felt like I'd never be able to hunt again; so...like a dope, I sold my absolutely beautiful Remington 700 BDL bolt action .300 Win. Mag rifle, which had a Monte Carlo stock and a Nikon Monarch 3x9x50 scope for $550.00 to a friend who was going to New Mexico to hunt elk.

That was the biggest gun-selling mistake I've made.

I had found the gun about two years earlier in a pawn shop, and it was NIB. The warranty card was still in the box and the owner's video still was wrapped in cellophane. The rifle was absolutely impeccable...not a mark on it. I traded a PSE bow and gave the pawn shop owner $500.00 to boot. It was the best deal I've ever made.

·
Moderator in Memorium 1940-2014
13,540 Posts
Taurus PT92.
But, since I sold it to my son, it's still in the family.

·
Registered
2,941 Posts
Oh me oh my, I’m too saddened and embarrassed to say. All I will say is that I’m a happily married man and if I traded women the same way I have traded guns, I would have been married a couple of dozen times. Unfortunately, missing just about every one of them, the guns that is. ;)

·
Registered
273 Posts
The only firearm I have ever "gotten rid of" was a very nice S&W .45acp in stainless (4506 model number s I recall). It was a superb weapon, but at the time I wanted a varmit rifle badly and i swaped it at a gun show for a like new (beautiful) Browning BLR in .22-.250, an even swap. At that time I had no qualms about it, and felt I got the better deal, value wise (then). Lately, I have had other thoughts, even though I love the BLR.

Having no .45 since then, I have just purchased a new 24/7 OSS .45ACP. I may even get it next week if Bud's can ever get it out of shipping. It's been there (in shipping) for 3 days now. Are they hatching it, or what?

1 - 20 of 37 Posts