Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
16,283 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm watching "This Old House" on PBS 'cause it's a boring day.
They are based in New England and I just get a kick out the accent.
Can't those people there pronounce the letter "R" anywhere in a word except as the first?
Sounds more like an "H".
"Heah is wheh we ah going to staht the gahden."
It took me 3 years to figure out what people were saying when I was stationed at Westove AFB in Massachussetts.

·
Registered
31,688 Posts
I talk just like Festus!

·
Registered
3,227 Posts
Ill never know how the east coast guys get "woostah" from Worchester....

·
Registered
16,283 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
In New York they use "W" for the "R".
So they live in "New Yawk"

·
Registered
7,557 Posts
I have a pretty thick southern accent but when I was in school, there was a kid from the North Carolina mountains with a heavy accent. One day he asked if I saw the big tar on that truck. I had no idea what he was talking about until he asked again. Finally figured out he was talking about the mud tires the truck had on it.

·
Registered
16,283 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
When I was working night shift at Wally World in Lancaster, an old black guy asked me where the "chawco" was.
I thought he was asking for chocolate drink, so I told him what aisle.
Later I figured out he was asking for "charcoal"!

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
People up here in the Pacific Northwest really don't have an accent. Some people up here will pronounce Washington as Warshington. Other than that we really don't have an accent. But if you ask for a soda you will get an odd look.

Reactions: whodog

·
Registered
4,395 Posts
Hah......know what you mean.
I went to school in Baltimore back in the 60's. Students were from all over the USA, but mostly around the coastal regions.
The accent that threw everyone off was New Orleans. Geez those folk talk like yankees.

·
Registered
3,770 Posts
This is yet another reason why the East coast sucks!

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
There isn't any accent worse than a Jersey accent. I swear those people never learned to speak English.

The worst time I ever had was when I answered the phone one morning and the person on the other end was my wifes cousin from Hannover, Germany. She was speaking in a mix of English (?) and German. The connection got lost and when she called back I managed to get her to understand to wait a minute while I got my wife on the phone. Mind you my wife studied some German in High School and learned enough to get by when she visited her relatives in Germany in 1960, but had not spoken or read hardly any German since. To listen to them trying to visit in a mixture of English and German was an entertaining experience. They do communicate via e-mail and letters on occassion and manage to get their thought across to one another.

·
Registered
2,851 Posts
Back in the 60's, I was just out of the Air Force, and I thought I had met EVERY possible accent and learned to communicate through them all. But I was simply not prepared for my first Friday night at the Esso station in Towson, a suburb of Baltimore. (My first job, right out of the Air Force, while looking for better). BTW, THEY pronounce it "Bawl-uh-mur". This was in the days of fill-er-up, and we check the oil and wipe the windshield, too. This old gent asked me to "Check the trash-machine". Well, I could see that he was driving a '56 DeSoto Fluid Drive, with no more than its fair share of rust, so I walked around it and said "It looks about alright to me".

He said, with emphasis, "No, I means de TRASH-MACHINE!"

I stood there flat-footed and dumfounded that he would refer to such a worthy car by such a disparaging term. I guess my bafflement must have showed on my face and by my inactivity.

At which point, the driver got out of his car and opened the hood for himself and said, "Dammit. The trash-machine! Dat ting with de gears dat makes it go drive and reverse".

Flash

And NO, Bro John, it was NOT you - this customer was over 60, even then.

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
Back in the day I lived in Rhode Island with a few Navy buddies, we were rednecks from the South, it took some getting used to hearing "pok the cah in the yahd". I'm sure the locals laughed at our accents as well.

·
Registered
9,163 Posts
I'm from Pittsburgh, which any real resident pronounces as Pix Burgh. We say things like Yinz and Warsh, and just about any destination outside of the city is considered Up Der, even if it's somewhere in the deep south. Here is a site that will help you speak like a true Pittsburgher too, complete with a translator to play with some of your favorite phrases.

Reactions: Sarge

·
Registered
5,279 Posts
*grin* St Louis has no real accent of their own supposedly. Wrong. Zinc instead of sink, crotch instead of crouch and so forth. But also there are so many folks from all over that you get this strange mish mosh of accents from New Yawk to Deep South. A little outside of city and you would almost think you were in the south except they don't use y'all.

Sarge

·
Premium Member
16,168 Posts
My son and I were watching American Hoggers one night and he asked why they needed to subtitles when the father was talking. I told him, so people not from here could understand what he was saying. He said I can understand him just fine.

·
Super Moderator
26,854 Posts
I invoke the 5th.
Born in the West Indies, high school in Scotland, college in Liverpool, 20 years at sea with a definate mixed bag of accents and now living in the Republic of Poincirico???
But I do say old chap there are worse than me!

Reactions: Sarge and btleslie

·
21,932 Posts
If you watched the video I posted you will understand.

I was born in Jacksonville Fl.
Raised in central Georgia.
Spent a lot of time in south Florida where my mom's family is from.

So I speak 3 different southern accents.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts