Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took a peer from work to the LGS this afternoon to look at some Mosin Nagants they had on display. He'd been saying he wanted to buy one and refinish it. Well, when I left the gun shop I was the proud owner of a M91/30 Mosin and my friend left empty handed. Can you say "alligator mouth and tadpole rear-end"? Any how, now I want to get this thing looking good and I want to re-finish the stock to start. Only problem is I've never been any good at refinishing anything wood related. Anyone have a sure proof method for refinishing stocks, or recommendations on DIY material? I assume this stock, unless it's made from some super secret outer-space wood, would be treated like any other stock being refinished.

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
This video seems like it'd be a good place to start. On top of that, there's a ton of good stuff in the 'related videos'.

·
Administrator
35,289 Posts
There is also a how-to on The Box of Truth website.....he uses Easy-Off oven cleaner to strip the existing stain off, of all things. Check all of them out and see which one makes most sense for you.

·
Registered
3,227 Posts
And whatever you do don't go to the 7.62x54r forums and dare to utter the word "refinish" they will go jihad on you...

Reactions: rodfair

·
Registered
33 Posts
I did a little work on the one I have following the videos from
iraqveteran8888 on youtube. He has many detailed vids on how to do just about anything you can think of to an old mosin.

·
Administrator
35,289 Posts
And whatever you do don't go to the 7.62x54r forums and dare to utter the word "refinish" they will go jihad on you...
Yeah, I don't go to that forum anymore. The guy who runs it acts like Mosin Nagant rifles are pristine virgins, and should stay that way. I don't think there is anything wrong with tinkering with one if thats what you want to do. Now, my M44 is pristine and will stay that way, but my 91/30 is an ongoing project it seems. :D

·
Registered
175 Posts
Yeah, I don't go to that forum anymore. The guy who runs it acts like Mosin Nagant rifles are pristine virgins, and should stay that way. I don't think there is anything wrong with tinkering with one if thats what you want to do. Now, my M44 is pristine and will stay that way, but my 91/30 is an ongoing project it seems. :D
Same here. I used to visit that site for info but it got to where the owner/moderator was just too critical of anyone new asking questions or needing advice.

As for refinishing the stock please keep us posted. I have a 91/30 stock that I have been wanting to strip and refinish but haven't had the time or knowledge to try it yet.

BK

·
Registered
9,171 Posts
I plan on buying another one to swap into a modern stock leaving the barrel full length. That way i can have a sniper-like rifle that uses ammo way cheaper than .308's but hits just as hard.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Great info. Thats why i love this site.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks all. Took your advice and went to you tube. Wow! I didn't even think of going to you tube before my post. There's more info than I can actually absorb. I think I'll be alright now. Plenty of info from some very knowledgeable people. I've already got mine disassembled and soaking in mineral spirits as I write this. As soon as the bride gets home from work I'll be heading to Wally World and Home Depot to start gathering all the things I need to refinish the stock. Although a little time consuming, it should be relatively inexpensive and should be fun. If I knew how to post pictures, I'd take some before and after pictures. Thanks again.

·
Registered
3,000 Posts
I have refinished a couple of stock using hand rub polyurethane and it works great. I have also used boiled linseed oil and 100% pure tung oil with good results too. The polyurethane is the easiest to use and the quickest drying finish of the three I mentioned.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
RCFlyer,

Did you use the stain with the polyurethane already in it or did you stain and then use the polyurethane separately. Having it combined seems a little easier but I don't know if the results would the same.

·
Registered
3,000 Posts
I don't care for the poly with the stain. Sometimes I apply different stains to get the color I am looking for. A lot of the stain color depends on the wood you are staining. The mosin's usually are a blonde color wood, so if you are looking for a darker color you might have to apply a dark walnut stain. You can also apply a wash of thinned paint to achieve different staining colors also. Just play with a piece of wood that is similar or the inside of the stock or handguards somewhere. You can also remove dents by wetting the area around the dent and placing a cloth over the dent and heating with an iron. I hope this helps.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'm leaning towards the Minwax Gunstock stain (forgot the #). Also saw a youtube video where someone, after prepping the stock, used Tru Oil and nothing else. Are you familiar with this and what kind of results it might create as opposed to regular stain? Thanks for the help.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts