Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
32,615 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been thinking about resources for others who want info on handguns or shooting in general and came across this from another thread:

Without trying to turn this thread into a FAQ I recommend the following for right now.
Obtain a Gun Digest Book of Combat Handgunnery, 5th addition from www.krause.com and read the Purchasing a Used Gun chapter. Mas Ayoob is the author.
Since you seem to be new to a lot of this having a reference library, even a small one,with which you can look up material is a good idea. A little research seem in order at this stage.
Ineternet sites are ok for some things. For hard core info you can trust reading a few books by suitable authors who are knowledgeable about firearms can't be beat.
Farnam, Mas Ayoob, Peter Kokalis, John Lovette, Evan Marshall, Ed Sanow, Dave Spaulding, and Clint Smith are all good picks to read in book or magazine form. There are others as well.
Paladin Press and Gun Digest books are all good sources of info and can be found at the local public library. Might be old hat, but a lot of info can be found there.
www.corneredcat.com and www.mouseguns.com are also useful resurces or have links that available. While cornered cat .com is info for women there is a lot of useful things there for the guys as well.

For Police Bookshelf there is www.ayoob.com. www.paladin-press.com and www.krause.com are for the other sites.

Since gun ownership demands knowledge and great responsibility,the more knowledge the better. Reading from difinitive sources or well accreditted authors goes a long way in that regard.
Update time. Gun Digest Books just put out an updated Combat Handgunnery book.

Chuck Taylor is another writer/author who is also an excellent read.

·
32,615 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No problem. There's tons of good stuff to find if one takes the time to find it and where to find it. Just sharing.
If there are other good authors/writers feel free folks to add to the list. A few links couldn't hurt either.

·
Registered
663 Posts
Qwiks draw said:
Been thinking about resources for others who want info on handguns or shooting in general and came across this from another thread:

Without trying to turn this thread into a FAQ I recommend the following for right now.
I sometimes utilize a forum (an auto forum) in which it isn't uncommon for a query to be answered, by people knowing the answer, much like the following. "The answer to that question is available in "X" ($75) book; buy it." Unfortunately I had no other choice on more than one occasion. Now I have money tied up in books I got necessary but minimal information from.

Thanks for not putting your post in anything like that form.

JimL

·
32,615 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Nope. There are a few I can recommend, but that is on a case by case basis for the most part. If combat handgunnery is the name of the game I can name a few that won't break the bank and cover a broad spectrum.

However most of the public,staff, and members can find what fills their needs or niche without resorting to promotions of books.

If they fill a need to ask about certain ones feel free to PM me or other staff. We'll see what we can do. There may limitations as to whom knows what about authors though.

There are enough past threads about authors or authorities who write this kind of thing anyway if one cares to look.

If others know of good publishers of shooting in general feel free to add to the mix. Like ammo sites,holster sites, or other sources, it's a good idea to have a general broad base to work from or with.

·
Registered
6,761 Posts
The only thing I'll add is to be cautious who you lend books from your reference library to. I lent several of mine to a relative who was deployed to Iraq (he was home on leave at the time) as his unit needed a crash course in concealed carry. They were involved with meeting with "friendly" locals but wanted to be discretely armed if anything happened. The relative is on his second deployment currently, never did see or hear anything about those books.

Steelheart

1 - 7 of 7 Posts