Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4,826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m considering putting a laser system on the rail of one of my semi-auto pistols. The green lasers are more expensive, but are they worth it? I haven’t decided yet on which brand, so I’m also interested in your preferences and or experiences as well.
Many thanks!

·
Registered
2,825 Posts
In many cases the green appears brighter and better seen in sunlight. In reality, they are both just as bright, but green is in the middle of the visual light spectrum for us and is easier seen since red is towards the end of our perceptions.

There we go and add some science to the choice. I run a Viridian on one of my OSS and Crimson Trace on a CZ. The Viridian lights up the night.

Now the down side, there is no such thing as a true green laser. They use an infrared laser and pump it through a filter to get it into the green light spectrum. It takes over twice the power to match a red laser wave length. So battery life is a good bit shorter.

Maloy

·
Registered
4,826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you Professor Malloy! I appreciate your input. The red lasers are cheaper than the green, so that fixes that decision.

·
Super Moderator
21,707 Posts
I have a older Springfield XD9 4" and was wondering what would be a good light laser combo. That's not to pricey. Any ideas? This is for my house gun, not for carry!

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

·
Registered
901 Posts
In many cases the green appears brighter and better seen in sunlight. In reality, they are both just as bright, but green is in the middle of the visual light spectrum for us and is easier seen since red is towards the end of our perceptions.
Having owned both red and green, I'd have to say maloy is spot on here.

·
Registered
21,120 Posts
Green

Reactions: Panda

·
Super Moderator
35,349 Posts
Six of one, half dozen of the other on a laser aiming device for a handgun. I really like my laser spotlight on my hog rifle, though, in green. Hogs just don't seem to see green and it lights 'em up as far as I can shoot. :D

I bought a cheap red laser years ago and tried it on a .45 and hated it. Just too much going on with that thing, a switch, a wire, etc. They've cleaned 'em up a lot since then, but I really don't care for one. I shoot the old fashioned way, sights or point shooting up close. That old laser wound up on my 16" SKS paratrooper which I never shoot. It was just something I could do with that laser. :lol:

Reactions: Panda

·
Registered
220 Posts
Green has higher visability at greater distances. Worth the extra coin

·
Registered
5,047 Posts
Either will work but I'd go with green. The reason is my normal public range has free targets but they're in red so green shows up better!

Reactions: mingaa

·
Registered
2,849 Posts
I had a red NcStar on my Maverick 88 and it worked great inside. I took it outside and I couldn't see it on target until I got within 3 yards. I switched over to green...:)

·
Registered
4,826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I appreciate the input folks. There is obviously more to the overall functionality than just the color. A set of night sights might be a better option...we’ll see.

·
Registered
6,715 Posts
Green.

I like the flavor better than the red. The red is just hot, like a thousand needles getting stuck into your tongue. The green is a slower, more back of the mouth, kind of burn.

Oh, we aren't talking about salsa!

Sorry.:p

Reactions: paulky_2000

·
22,958 Posts
Green.

I like the flavor better than the red. The red is just hot, like a thousand needles getting stuck into your tongue. The green is a slower, more back of the mouth, kind of burn.

Oh, we aren't talking about salsa!

Sorry.:p
No, we're clearly talking about Hatch green chile, but your remarks are mostly correct. The flavor is better from green, but either can actually be hotter at times.

·
Super Moderator
35,349 Posts
No, we're clearly talking about Hatch green chile, but your remarks are mostly correct. The flavor is better from green, but either can actually be hotter at times.
Says the man from New Mexico who ought to know. :D

Reactions: jtg452
1 - 18 of 18 Posts