·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Reactions: twolfe55

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
I've spent less than that on meals I hated......

.....at least you'll still have the optic in the end! ;)

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Granted not a lot of money it just kind of got me there is nothing about these sights on the net or anyway I didn't find anything about TRS-25 clones or copies.
My 1st guess (& hope) is the real things and these are made at the same place and some are sold to Bushnell and some are unbranded copies. I was looking to buy a Bushnell when I came across these thought it was worth a shot.

·
Registered
20,085 Posts
Here’s a good video comparison using another Bushnell product vs a fake.
It shows some key areas where the fake units will cut corners.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=7ALFQQuFLs0

If they are faking these optics then they are faking 25s as well.

True the fake 25 will not be a big financial risk AND you may view it as a throw-away item. That’s correct because you will NOT receive factory support on that purchase.

If you do make a habit of using fake items and take that forward as you increase the price and quality of your optics (AND many other firearm items) - eventually you WILL take a big hit. A major optic without factory support will leave you with a very expensive paperweight. The counter-fitter will not support the product. Ha - try and find them.

Bottom line for me is don’t support counter-fitters. They are stealing from the product owner. Don’t be part of the copyright infringement ring. Sure the low price is tempting. Don’t do it - you are supporting criminals.

·
Registered
3,380 Posts
The original is a good sight, and can be found at reasonable prices. On most of the knock off sights they look like the original on the outside but in side by side use they show up as cheap fakes. When used on anything that has recoil not only is optical quality lacking but also ability to hold together. Battery life is also usually much shorter. There are some good inexpensive optical sights but low cost always comes at some expense some where. I have dozens of cheap scopes and sights that were removed from guns over the years. A good friend lost a chance to get a nice buck few years ago. Sight wouldn't turn on, so much for saving a few dollars.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
while I understand what you are saying about counterfeit items it is hard to be sure at what point a patent expires and the market is open to build and sell a design from someone else.
best example I can think of is now days everyone offers a 1911 and an AR most are clones or copies.
these items are openly sold on ebay and amazon I don't know if that shows they are legal or Bushnell doesn't want to spend the money protecting a patent.
for the money chances are if there is a problem down the road the sight will just get tossed in the trash as opposed to trying to ship it back for support. how this all comes out in the wash is still a question to me.

·
Registered
20,085 Posts
while I understand what you are saying about counterfeit items it is hard to be sure at what point a patent expires and the market is open to build and sell a design from someone else.
best example I can think of is now days everyone offers a 1911 and an AR most are clones or copies.
these items are openly sold on ebay and amazon I don't know if that shows they are legal or Bushnell doesn't want to spend the money protecting a patent.
for the money chances are if there is a problem down the road the sight will just get tossed in the trash as opposed to trying to ship it back for support. how this all comes out in the wash is still a question to me.
Here is article will give you the scope of many copyrights and patents. In many cases if I continue to use it no one else can.

https://www.stopfakes.gov/article?id=How-Long-Does-Patent-Trademark-or-Copyright-Protection-Last

When you are talking ARs and 1911s the type of gun part can be used with any slight modification. Now try and call it a Colt, STI or DPMS and put it on the market and the fire WILL rain down on you. 2 different situations and the copyright infringement BGs are using names and using international borders and laws cover their butts.

Reactions: TheOldRedneck

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
while a philosophical discussion about the right or wrong of these copies might be warranted, it's not my field of interest. if it works well enough for my use at the price point it's sold at is my concern. if it will hold a zero and hit a 6" plate at 50 yards is what I'm interested in.
the oldest tube dot I used was an old Tasco Pro Point (Weaver had something out before that) and other than a change in some shape, dimensions, and LEDs added these things are all pretty much the same as they have been from around 1900.
I put together an AR-9 that now has my old Millett DMS 1-4 on it, I also have a 22 semi auto with a red dot on it, the 22 seems faster to pick up the target for the 1st shot and moves from target to target. shooting steel challenge that a win or loss can be decided by .01 of a second I want to see if a dot helps the AR-9 as cheaply as possible. as is now the 22 wins hands down the question is all gun or sight. if the sight plays a major role I'll look at spending some money of something like a C-More. if it's more gun shape, weight, trigger pull I'll spend my time and money on them.
so again when the testing is done I'll report if a twenty dollar copy is worth playing with or not.

·
Registered
3,259 Posts
I have a couple cheap red dot sights, they all seem to work fine. Also have a real trs25, I can't say it's any better than the cheap ones I have.

It's not my job to enforce patent laws. As long as the item is not marketed as "the real thing" and I know it's a fake at the time of purchase, it's my gamble to take.

·
Registered
12,813 Posts
Cloning a TRS-25 is like counterfeiting $1 bills.

I picked up my TRS-25 on sale a couple of years ago for $49 and bought a UTG high mount picatinny rail for $8. Works better than some of my $200 red dots. I am where I like its analog switch better than most of the digital ones.

·
Registered
2,366 Posts
When I saw the thread title I was reminded of the Tandy TRS-80.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
well it got here today, noticed something strange on the markings!
I was surprised we shot right past copy or fake to "counterfeit". while from my standpoint I knew what I was buying I have to wonder how many people have bought these as the real thing.
anyway mounted it and shot just enough to get it on paper, storms on the way and I only have a few rounds of 9mm on hand.
more to come after I have a little time to play with it.

Attachments

Reactions: muddcatt54
1 - 13 of 13 Posts