Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
493 Posts
I have the 85ul and that is a great gun to conceal. If he has medium to large size hands I would recomend putting on full size grips so it is easier to handle.
For a snubbie it is very accurate up to about 7 yards and is very light weight.

·
Registered
6,761 Posts
I'd get the Taurus. The Smith M637 is only a 38 and since he wants a 357 it doesn't quite qualify. He's have to get a Smith M60 (I think thats the 357 J frame with a hammer) to get the 357.

Just for completeness, there is also the Ruger SP101.

Steelheart

·
Registered
878 Posts
My advice for what it's worth: If he wants to shoot .357, heavy is better, so go with the SP101. 
Most people get snubnose revolvers so they have something easy to conceal and light enough to carry anywhere.  That runs contradictory to the .357 round in general.
I have a .357 snub (605) and rarely if ever do I shoot .357 thru it, it's too brutal on the hands.  I don't know how old your dad is, but this could be an issue for him.  Maybe not, maybe he has bear paws for hands.
A nice compromise is a used S&W M36 like the one I picked up for my wife.  They weigh about 20oz., are usually less than $300 and are extremely well made.
If going new, and I have thought about another for my collection, I would seriously consider the 85UL or it's concealed/shrouded hammer brothers or the S&W 642 or 637, depending on your budget. 

·
Moderator Emeritus, with us always.
15,931 Posts
Gee, now a days!! with the choices you can match any desire, with what you want to carry. Weight, recoil handling, # of rds, length of weapon.
You can go from 13 oz to 36 oz empty weight, Steel to magnesium frames, 5 rds to 8 rds, 2" to 6" (and still conceal). I think now after buying 4 guns, I would want to try them in my hands, maybe fire some rentals, and ask a heck of a lot of questions before you buy.
I have one or two more handguns I would like but I plan to go slow, check them out (handle, and point), and get the best value for my money that I will use.

·
Registered
3,737 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well thanks for the advice guys. I think he is more interested in the 38spl. I will see for sure what he wants and make suggestions based on your comments.

·
Moderator Emeritus, with us always.
15,931 Posts
paulrabe78 said:
Well thanks for the advice guys. I think he is more interested in the 38spl. I will see for sure what he wants and make suggestions based on your comments.
Remember one thing that I read somewhere here. Or was told by someone. A snubby is a good weapon for someone who practices with it to become good. If you want it for HD, or target shooting, get a longer barreled gun so you can hit what your shooting at. The longer sight picture makes it easier to hit what your trying for, BG or paper. I found that true with my guns, from 4.75" to 6.5" I am twice and tight on my shots than with a 2" snubby, or a 3" semi auto.

·
Registered
3,737 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
He has had a S&W 686 .357 mag 6" for about a year and a half so he is proficient with that. He also has a Browning Buckmark and a Kel-tec PF9. He wants something small to carry in a revolver.

·
Registered
532 Posts
I have a 605, and the recoil was way too stout for my arthritic hands with .357s. I replaced the stock grips with Hogue Monogrips, and the difference is immense. Recoil is very tolerable, the .357s feel like .38 +Ps did with the boot grips. Though the grips are a bit longer, I don't feel I've lost anything in the concealability department. It still hides well in my pocket with a Uncle Mike's pocket holster. The Hogue grips have also made the speedloaders work more positively.

·
Registered
25 Posts
anything in a airweight is hard to beat in my opinion. And S&W makes very nice 38 airweights. Although I havnt had the pleasure of using Taurus's yet

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Just bought a Rossi 462 stainless. Really like it so far, mainly the fact of 6 shots instead of 5.

·
Registered
73 Posts
S&W Does make a model 640 hammerless if he did want a Smith. I was looking at the Taurus 650's.

·
Registered
552 Posts
These are my main cary 357 Snubs that I alternate. 617 Taurus 7 shot.(good for IWB or Belt Cary) 605 Taurus 5 shot. (good IWB and back pocket cary in heavy pants like Jeans). SP101 Ruger 5 shot. (good for IWB or on the Belt). All the above have Fixed Sights and do not catch your clothes. They all handle 357Mag Ammo with no problems. I all so have a 671 Rossi, It handles 357 Ammo just fine and holds 6 shots. The Rossi has Adjustable Sights and bites the skin when carried under a shirt without a T-Shirt or propper holster to cover them. I like and cary all of them but do to their ammo capacity I all ways cary a backup. If I could only have One of them it would be the 605. It's size makes it the one that can be caried in all clothes, from dressup to grung with ease. Remember to dress around your gun or guns.

·
Registered
89 Posts
605ss for me. Fun to shoot with .357 but carry .38+Ps in a black widow holster.

·
Registered
846 Posts
Love my 605, not to heavy, nor to lite. Change the grips and you got a great gun for alot less money.

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
I have an MP340 S&W .357 snubbie. I too, have arthritic hands and wrists. This gun weighs 15 oz. empty and I can hide it anywhere, it seems. I don't worry about recoil and sore wrists because I practice w/38 spl. and carry .357. Figure if I ever use it in self defense, I got firepower to burn, damn the arthritis! This is my summer (shirttail out) weapon. Don Hume pocket holster is my leather of choice.

Winter CC: Taurus PT145.

Crimson Trace grips came with the little Smith and I know this helps with shock absorption. Kinda costly altogether but I love this little shooter. I'd recommend some rubber over that backstrap if you choose to practice with .357. (had one little blister after first usage before re-installing CT grip). Yes, I WAS using .357 initially for practice. No more.

smit

1 - 20 of 26 Posts