Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello I am new to the forum and currently own a couple Taurus handguns but was looking to make an addition to the collection with a CCW revolver to compliment my non-taurus semi auto I currently use as my daily CCW. Gun will be used mostly for pocket carry so looking for a 2" model.

Been looking at my options but it looks like most of the ones I am interested in are discontinued. I was considering a 2850129ULT (85 titanium ultralight enclosed hammer 13.5 oz) or the 851SS2ULT (851 Protector titanium ultralight shrouded hammer 15.5 oz)....I would be curious in hearing others opinions or recommendations on some easier obtainable models. Thanks !

·
Registered
3,956 Posts
Being you are on Taurus Revolver area...I will limit my suggestions to Taurus Revolvers...the Taurus 85UL DAO is agreat option lightweight and 38+P rated
Another is the Taurus M380 mini revolver..
And the Taurus NV 38 spl...10oz

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Being you are on Taurus Revolver area...I will limit my suggestions to Taurus Revolvers...the Taurus 85UL DAO is agreat option lightweight and 38+P rated
Another is the Taurus M380 mini revolver..
And the Taurus NV 38 spl...10oz
Thanks for the recommendations ! I will have to check those out.

To clarify I am looking for a revolver in 38+p; must have enclosed or shrouded hammer (DOA is fine), 2" barrel, light with...the 85UL looks like a potential candidate. Thanks again.

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
I regularly carry two Taurus .38 revolvers: an 85 View 5-shot and a 856 Hy-Lite 6-shot magnesium revolver. I chose these two because they are a couple of the lightest .38-special revolvers that Taurus has offered. Yes, the 856 Magnesium revolver is lighter than the 85 Ultra-Lite, and it holds one more round, but doesn't shoot +P. The 85 View is always in a front pants pocket and the 856 is in a Levi vest inside pocket. When it gets warmer, the Levi vest comes off and I'll probably just carry the View. (During the winter, I wear a heavier vest with a Glock 22 in .40S&W, instead of the Taurus 856.)

Sometimes I'll carry my stainless steel 905 9mm revolver with bobbed hammer in the vest, and it's not too bad, but it's considerably heavier than either of the above.

·
Registered
880 Posts
would you be interested in a 45 colt ultra lite? i have an M450 i am currently putting on the market.

·
Registered
29,861 Posts
The Spousal Unit's favorite (it makes my list too) is the Total Titanium M-851.

The hammer shroud makes it snag proof, yet there's enough of a hammer "nub" to cock the gun for a more deliberate single action shoot, should the need for more accuracy or a long distance shot present it's self...

Attachments

·
Registered
4,792 Posts
Another you should consider is the 605, It is chambered for both the .38spec and the .357mag. You can use .38spec +P+ ammo and they come with a hammer or hammerless.

·
Registered
50 Posts
The Spousal Unit's favorite (it makes my list too) is the Total Titanium M-851.

The hammer shroud makes it snag proof, yet there's enough of a hammer "nub" to cock the gun for a more deliberate single action shoot, should the need for more accuracy or a long distance shot present it's self...

OOH! thats pretty. Better not let my wife see that or she'll want one.

RussP

·
Registered
6,384 Posts
Can't help you, I don't like or own any lightweight or ultra lightweight wheelguns.

As far as I'm concerned, the weight difference between a steel frame and a light weight gun isn't enough for me to worry with when we are talking about carrying it. On the other hand, the added weight of a steel frame does make a difference when shooting the gun.

The 85B2FS is 21 ounces.

The 85PLYB2FS is 18.2 ounces.

The 85B2ULFS is 17 ounces.

(All weights pulled from the 'technical specs' tab for the gun in question on the Taurus USA website.)

My set of keys weigh more than 4 ounces.

·
Premium Member
16,955 Posts
m85ul

Holster & M85UL.jpg

·
Registered
3,462 Posts
Another you should consider is the 605, It is chambered for both the .38spec and the .357mag. You can use .38spec +P+ ammo and they come with a hammer or hammerless.
i agree with this and extend the suggested choices to include the 650 in SS, J frame size, disappears in a front pants pocket or IWB carry, smooth double action pull and with the same ammo versatility 38/357 makes many ammo options

·
Registered
4,530 Posts

·
Registered
470 Posts
Hello I am new to the forum and currently own a couple Taurus handguns but was looking to make an addition to the collection with a CCW revolver to compliment my non-taurus semi auto I currently use as my daily CCW. Gun will be used mostly for pocket carry so looking for a 2" model.

Been looking at my options but it looks like most of the ones I am interested in are discontinued. I was considering a 2850129ULT (85 titanium ultralight enclosed hammer 13.5 oz) or the 851SS2ULT (851 Protector titanium ultralight shrouded hammer 15.5 oz)....I would be curious in hearing others opinions or recommendations on some easier obtainable models. Thanks !
S&W 442 & 642. Light, relatively inexpensive, very findable.

i agree with this and extend the suggested choices to include the 650 in SS, J frame size, disappears in a front pants pocket or IWB carry, smooth double action pull and with the same ammo versatility 38/357 makes many ammo options
Oh, let's see if I can find a pic...

S&W 642 & Taurus 605.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I think I poped this in another thread also. in my opinion.
Any Taurus model 85 makes an excellent CC piece. Pick the Caliber you like and carry away.
I carry a M327 ( model 85 in 327 magnum)
I carry it all day with zero discomfort. And this is not even an ultra light. Those things are like carrying air.

·
Registered
2,026 Posts
Not made any more but Taurus 851 the best!

Reactions: Qwiks draw

·
Registered
5,231 Posts
Best revolver: one that fits and feels great in your hand, and in a price range that is easy on your wallet.

·
Registered
233 Posts
a different recommendation...

I have a S&W 442 - a very nice revolver but I would not say it is the best.
I have a beautiful Taurus 85, very, VERY nice, but also not the best.
My recommendation for the best is the Taurus 617 or 817.
Here is a side-to-side and top-to-bottom explanation of why.
IF I put my 817, my 442 and my 85 top to bottom, or side to side, the sizes are VERY close. Most of the size difference is because I have crimson trace grips on my 817. Some of the size difference is in the longer barrel of the older Taurus 85. The 817 weighs more than the 442, and nearly the same as the Taurus 85

ALL of them fit the same holsters - although the Crimson Trace grips on my 817 would not fit the other 2 pistols here.

The biggest reason I recommend the 817 or 617 is that it is SO close to the same size, but - it packs 7 rounds. Many little revolvers only hold 5. If you can find a 617 or 817, I think that is your best choice.

3-1.jpg
3-2.jpg
3-3.jpg

Reactions: Qwiks draw

·
Registered
149 Posts
My '91' M85 has a nicely done bob job from a previous owner. It replaced my PPK/S as primary carry piece. I decided the two shot difference wouldn't be that important in a 20 foot High Noon shootout. If I can't relieve the situation in five, the next two will be too late. I was surprised the carry weights are almost identical.

·
Registered
589 Posts
I rather like my M856 stainless steel. It's heavier than the UL's, but not that much more at 22 oz. One thing I like about it (Taurus doesn't sell them now) is it's a true 6-shooter. Carries 6 rounds. It does have a hammer, but I have no problem with that. For one thing when it's in its holster on my hip, the hammer doesn't hang up on anything. And when it's unholstered in my coat pocket or pants pocket, I have my thumb on the hammer when I pull it out, so it doesn't catch there either.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts