Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
1,850 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking to replace my scope on my 30-06. Any recommendations for a decent scope that won't break the bank. Looking for something that will give good clarity out to 300-400 yards plus. Thanks

·
Premium Member
12,562 Posts
My recommendation is almost always a Leupold scope, but they can be costly. The best way to get one is used as they carry the same warranty as if you bought it new. A lot of people trade their rifles in with a scope still mounted and if you see one you like on a used rifle many gun shops will entertain the idea of selling them separately at a considerably lower price than new. I bought a rifle one time just because it was wearing a nice 3X Leupold scope, removed the scope and resold the rifle for the same price that I paid for it with the scope. The other scope I would recommend at a much lower price is Redfield. From what I understand they are now made in the same factory as Leupold and carry the same warranty. Good scopes for the money.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Check out Zeiss 'Terra' scopes. 3x12x42. That will get you out to 500 yards easily. They call these 'Terra' scopes the budget Zeiss but they are very much a Zeiss through and through. I have one and it's clarity and ease of use when the light is fading is excellent. I think I paid the equivalent of around $400 for mine.

Reactions: Taurus1965

·
Registered
3,213 Posts
Vortex makes some good ones. Look for the ones made in the Philippines. They are a little more spendy, but have clearer glass than the Chicom Vortex.

I'm currently running a Vortex Crossfire II 4-12x40 on my Thomson Compass. The BDC is dead on at longer ranges, and the parallax adjustment helps. The turrets can be reset to zero after dialing it in. I picked mine up when Cabelas had them on sale for $169. They run around $189-$199 regular price.

https://vortexoptics.com/vortex-crossfire-ii-4-12x40-ao-riflescope.html

·
Super Moderator
34,958 Posts
I'm not one for BDCs, fancy reticules that can give you range, etc. All just added stuff that takes time to set up a shot while the elk or deer trot off as you move around adjusting things. I keep my shots up to 400 yards, know the drop table I calculate when I chronograph the load. There's too many variables to risk wounding an animal beyond 400 yards IMHO. Now, if all you wanna do is spend 2k on a rifle scope to ring metal plates at 1000 yards, knock yourself out, but such an optic is not necessary for hunting, any practical use of a rifle IMHO.

I've never owned a Leupold and likely never will. They're WAY over priced even though they are decent scopes, but for that kind of money you can go or better European optics like Zeiss. My fave high quality optic is Schmidt and Bender, makes a Leupold look like it came out of a box of Cracker Jacks. :rofl: Now, for CHEAP, and I've got nothing against cheap so long as it'll hold up and has reasonable clarity, are the affordable, Bushnell Trophy and Banner series. Even the sportviews won't break, but the Banners and Trophies give you better clarity. I've owned and still own a bunch of 'em. Last one I bought was a few years back, a Banner 3x9x40, ran me $100 and is Japanese built which is a good thing compared to the Chinese stuff which is what you get with Tasco or Simmons or other junk with a lens. The trophy series Bushnell is the top Bushnell, but I wanted the Banner for night hunting on a SKS rifle at 50 yards and in. it's a pretty impressive glass, though. I wasn't expecting the clarity it gives. For this application I'd really rather have a thermo-optic, but I can buy a lot of pork at the store for what one of THOSE costs.

I also have a Japanese built Weaver 2x10x40 on my .308 I really like. I got a Weatherby branded "Supreme" rifle scope on my 7mm Magnum which is REAL impressive. It's no longer available or I might have bought a few more at the price, but it was discounted over half price, $150, when I bought it. Only criticism I have with it is it's quite heavy, but then the rifle is heavy, probably a good thing on a belted magnum round.

So, if you want a rifle scope at a reasonable price that will deliver good performance, I can recommend Bushnell or Weaver. Stay away from Simmons and Tasco, basically junk IMHO, and yes, I made the mistake of owning a few. YMMV Over the years, I've owned a LOT of Bushnell scopes and even the bottom line sportviews were strong enough to take a punishing recoil, though compared to the higher end Bushnells, optics were a little sad. The sportviews are Chinese while the trophy and banner are Japanese.

I've often thought I might try a Nikon, but I've yet to purchase one. I might get one for my .257 Roberts which has a Bushnell Sportview on it. The Nikon would be an upgrade. I don't use that rifle a lot anymore, but it's so accurate it deserves a better scope. :D

ALL JMHO from years of shooting and hunting. My first high powered rifle was the .257 which I inherited from my grandfather had a Weaver KV 3x5, the old steel tube. I had it rebuilt once, have retired it, but the rifle lives. :D I killed my first whitetail with that rig in 1963 at the age of 11.

·
Super Moderator
34,958 Posts
Oh, as to ranging, I range with a laser rangefinder. I'll sit in my stand and range landmarks, trees and such, so that when game shows itself, I KNOW the range. Where I hunt here at home, though, I just don't worry about it since I can't see more'n `100 yards for the trees. Where that rangefinder really is needed is bow hunting with my crossbow.

·
Registered
1,850 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Vortex makes some good ones. Look for the ones made in the Philippines. They are a little more spendy, but have clearer glass than the Chicom Vortex.

I'm currently running a Vortex Crossfire II 4-12x40 on my Thomson Compass. The BDC is dead on at longer ranges, and the parallax adjustment helps. The turrets can be reset to zero after dialing it in. I picked mine up when Cabelas had them on sale for $169. They run around $189-$199 regular price.
ttps://vortexoptics.com/vortex-crossfire-ii-4-12x40-ao-riflescope.html
The Vortex Crossfire II 4-12X50 is at the top of the list. Reviews look pretty good.

·
Registered
3,272 Posts
Do a search and check out the reviews for the Meuller APV scopes. There are 4 or 5 models in the APV line and you can get them for under $150.00. Available in black or silver with aluminum screw on lense covers and their customer service is spot on!

I can afford just about any scope I want and I have been using and recommending Mueller rifle scopes for years.

Don

·
Super Moderator
34,958 Posts
You know, other than more magnification than I'd want, 50mm would be awesome for low light. My scopes are mostly 40mm except for that Weatherby Supreme which is a 44 mm. That Weatherby is so bright compared to a 40mm, it's amazing. I've shot pigs with it on a full moon night without a spotlight. I couldn't do that with any of my other scopes.

·
Registered
5,174 Posts
I have a Leupold on my (AR 3-9 x45) and a Burris on my Remington 700 (3.5 to 12 x 45) . Both are fantastic scope, mid priced. Both gather light quite well. Corner to corner resolution is superb with very, very little distortion when maxed. Both do a superb job of holding zero. I can nail 12 plates at 500+ yards with the either (haven't had the opportunity to go out any further). Both are mid-priced scopes and won't break the bank. I also have some less expensive I also have a Vortex and a couple of Bushnell's for the .22 bolt guns. They're pretty good scopes as well as long as you don't ask long ranges (over around 150 yards or so). But then a .22 has an over 5" drop at 100 yards, so long range for most intents and purposes is not in the .22 domain. But for my money, I don't think you can beat a Leupold or a Burris.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Meopta is another scope for consideration. I think you'll find that most European 'hunting; scopes are quite simple in their construction. Nothing that's not needed is added. You don't need Tacticool add-ons on a hunting scope. Over here most popular for deer hunting, as you call it, are Schmidt & Bender, Zeiss, Swarovski, Meopta, Kahles, and Hawke (cheaper end).

Most, if not all, will give a choice of reticle but don't expect mil-dot. Most will be duplex or the old German No1 or No4. - But they are excellent and I always look to getting a scope for deer that's a No1 reticle. Simple set up an upright post at 6'oclock and two horizontal arms at 3 and 9 o'clock. top of the scope picture is totally clear like this...

german-reticles.jpg

·
Registered
362 Posts
I had been buying mostly Vortex scopes and a couple of Nikons, prior to that they were just about all Weavers but they have all been replaced, the last scope I bought was an Athalon 4-12 x 40 first focal plane, I am extremely impressed with it and their warranty is send it back and they will fix or replace.

·
Registered
1,850 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Do a search and check out the reviews for the Meuller APV scopes. There are 4 or 5 models in the APV line and you can get them for under $150.00. Available in black or silver with aluminum screw on lense covers and their customer service is spot on!

I can afford just about any scope I want and I have been using and recommending Mueller rifle scopes for years.

Don
Liking the Mueller 8.5-25x44 AO tactical scope and the apv 6-18x44 AO. Now witch one? Thinking the 8.5-25 x44 will have issues at max magnification.

·
Super Moderator
34,958 Posts
I've read about Meopta, sound like high end scopes for medium pricing. I particularly like that sort of thing. :D The article I read said they build high end scopes for other people, but it said they were Czech. I'd thought my Weatherby might be a Meopta, but it's made in Japan, so guess not. :D

·
Registered
1 Posts
I've read about Meopta, sound like high end scopes for medium pricing. I particularly like that sort of thing. :D The article I read said they build high end scopes for other people, but it said they were Czech. I'd thought my Weatherby might be a Meopta, but it's made in Japan, so guess not. :D
You will not go wrong buying a Meopta scope. For the distances you think you might shoot to I would recommend the Optika6 3-16x50 Z-Plus (MOA reticle and adjustments).I have one and love it. I have taken mine to 725 yards on multiple occasions. I used it to take a great deer last deer season as well. Excellent in low light for hunting use. Meopta willnot let you down, the Optika6 has a lot of top notch features for a fair price. The 30mm tube and 50mm objective will not let you down. I have the 4.5-27 and 5-30x56 with a 34mm tube for longrange shooting. There is a new Optika5 coming out that is 5X zoom and 1 inch tube that is geared towards the hunting market but for your 30-06, the Optika6 will get the job done.

·
Registered
3,272 Posts
Anyone own the mueller apv 6-18x44 ao ?

I don't have that particular scope. My favorite is the 4.5 - 14 X 40. Midway has some very nice Mueller target and hunting rifle scopes on sale. They are factory rebuilds with full warranties....

Don

·
Super Moderator
34,958 Posts
To me, the lower magnification is way more important than the upper. With a 2 or 3x, one can get on a running animal pretty quick. 9x is pretty un-necessary most places I've hunted and useless around here. But, most of my scopes will zoom to 9x if I need it. :D

1 - 20 of 34 Posts