Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fellow Shooters,
I recently completely detached my rotator cuff, requiring surgical reconstruction & attachment. Need less to say, I'm a little recoil conscious. Prior to the detachment (may have caused it) I hunted with a .460 S&W. I currently shoot a .357, 6" Taurus Tracker, however energy is insufficient as a 100 yd whitetail and hog load. I am contemplating the 8 3/8" .44 Raging Bull. It has the accuracy, ballistics, and energy. Any thoughts regarding the recoli for my "newly constructed" shoulder?
Papa Bear

·
Registered
6,761 Posts
I hope someone here can help you out on this one. With the weight of that gun I'd expect that it would be fine for you to shoot but I'm not a doc.

Have you checked into the ability to rent a Raging Bull in either 44 mag or 454 (and shoot hot 45 Colt) to see for yourself?

Steelheart

·
Registered
8,150 Posts
I can't comment on the Raging Bull in .44 Magnum as I've never shot one, however I have owned a M44 with a 6.5" tube and recall that the weight of the revolver coupled with the rubber grips and porting helped minimize the muzzle flip greatly. The recoil IMO was on par with that of a hot .357 from an unported revolver and additionally I recall that it rolled up and back in my hand when fired. IIRC Gray_Wolf has stated in the past that his RB .44 gives more of a quick readward shove which is the same thing my RB in .500 Magnum does.

·
Registered
4,342 Posts
Also, a technique that takes a bit of practice, but you can easily adapt to it, when you shoot two handed, remember to "never" lock your elbows. Leaving your leading arm (shooting hand) slightly bent will also reduce recoil....

I hope this helps a bit. I used to shoot alot of heavy .44 Mag loads from a Ruger Redhawk... rubber grips are also a must for lots of shooting. :D

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
IIRC Gray_Wolf has stated in the past that his RB .44 gives more of a quick readward shove which is the same thing my RB in .500 Magnum does.
I've never shot a .500 R.Bull but .44mag 6.5in doesn't have much of muzzle flip, it recoils pretty much straight back. Must be due to porting and long heavy barrel. It alows for faster follow up shots, but with full power loads it can be tough on the wrists esp. if you shoot a lot. But as mp3mogul mentioned unlocking elbows will make the gun flip more, but the felt recoil will be lower.

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
I have a 8" ruger redhawk and it doesn't kick that bad the only thing is with that much steel I pulled a muscle keeping it in the weaver stance. My carry gun is a 4" taurus M44 compensated and the the compensator tames the recoil a little better than the redhawk's weight. Weight would probably be a bigger factor than recoil when it comes to a shoulder injury. When you lift something up to an aiming stance, it will cause a certain amount of strain on your shoulder. My recommendation would be to try a lighter .44 with porting and then go on from there.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi,

Your in luck. I have both a S&W 460XVR and a .44 Raging Bull in 81/2.

I got the Bull to pratice handling with out the wear and tear on the Smith. The Bull is no where close to the 460. A 44 is about half the muzzle energy compared to the 460. I think the Bull is more fun to shoot than the Smith. Great plinker ;). The Bull is well designed so the recoil with full power loads is not bad at all. But that's a personal opinion.

As far as what your shoulder can handle that I can't answer, that one is up to you and your shoulder. I'm a older small framed guy so I'm sore for several days after shooting the 460 a half a day target shooting (40-60 rounds). But I'm only sore a day after shooting the bull. (100-150 rounds or till my wallet says ouch :D)

You could always shoot 44 special loads or light target loads and work up. I love my Bull and have been considering a second just for grins.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I have a Raging Bull in 44mag with a 6" barrel.And, the recoil is the mildest of any of the 44 mag. handguns out there.The combination of the grip design, porting/compensator, and the weight make this a real pleasant shooting 44 mag. Even with the stiffest loads.IMO of course.

I also have a 61/2" barrel RB in 454 Casull. Now that gun will get your attention. But, again the Raging Bull design even makes the 454 more manageable than any other handguns.

·
Registered
113 Posts
dld;
Consider trying Lower Recoil but full-power loads from Buffalo Bore.
http://www.buffalobore.com/ammunition/default.htm#low44

Or, why not just upgrade and use a more downrange-powerful .357? They are a versatile round and th bullets have a better ballistic co-efficient for (pretty rare?) 100 yard deer shots. Check Buffalo-Bore for these too. Maybe some of the other premium cartridge companies like Grizzly...

Alden

·
Registered
96 Posts
that bull will definitely not be bad on recoil.between the weight and
the porting i'd say it would be more like a 44 special.there is another possibility you can practice with some 44 special then switch over to 44 mag. if you reload, you acn pretty much taylor a load to your liking. also the super redhawk and redhawk are not too bad either.
i also shoot a taurus model 444/44 a 4" 44 mag that's a real hoot
to shoot. good luck on your choice. dan

ps if you decide to shoot 44 specials out of your weapon be sure to thoroughly clean your cylinder.. dan

·
Registered
93 Posts
I had a 454 Raging Bull with the 6 1/2" barrel. It was not a hard kicker by any means. If you can handle a 4" 44 magnum, you can handle an 8 3/8" 454.

·
Administrator
35,632 Posts
powerkicker said:
I had a 454 Raging Bull with the 6 1/2" barrel. It was not a hard kicker by any means. If you can handle a 4" 44 magnum, you can handle an 8 3/8" 454.
That's a bit hard to believe - I've seen pictures of gun writers who had a 454 Casull at high noon from the recoil - I mean, straight up over their heads at 12:00. There may be different loads, but I really don't think somebody coming off rotater cuff surgery should be trying to shoot a 454 Casull load. I agree with Alden - they make hot loads for the 357 now, like the Hornady red tips that are supposed to be screamers. Why not try that first, to see if it is sufficient?

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
I've seen pictures of gun writers who had a 454 Casull at high noon from the recoil - I mean, straight up over their heads at 12:00
Was that a single action revolver? I find single action magnum revolvers are more difficult to control due to grip design.

·
Administrator
35,632 Posts
It could have been - I suppose the Tauri are more controllable, but I still wonder about the wisdom of firing off a 454 round if recoil is a health issue.......

·
Registered
113 Posts
I fired a .454, once. The big Freedom Arms owner wanted to sell the painful thing right after he bought it but he felt he couldn't live with the loss he'd take on it. His hands bled! When he loaded it for me I didn't fire all 5 rounds and his eyes watered and he got angry because it meant more he'd have to shoot -- not kidding. But in a Weaver stance with cotton gloves on I'd lose the grip of my left hand and it would end-up at 12:00 regardless of my adonis-like build. Had one patron who ended up with a (I think it was a Ruger) 454 hammer embedded in his forehead and he had to be driven to the emergency room to remove his conjoined revolver...

.357's are more versatile than ever and there is a broader spectrum of .44 Mags too, light recoil to + P's, and more. et's not forget the .41 Magnum which is also a fine, fine, cartridge. But 454, 460, 500, etc. especially under the circumstances? Get some individual cartridges now to show your great-grandchildren what they looked like and leave the guns themselves to the collectors and linebackers who live on Kodiak Island at this particular time...

Alden

·
Registered
93 Posts
Gray_Wolf said:
Was that a single action revolver? I find single action magnum revolvers are more difficult to control due to grip design.
Exactly. The plowhandle of the single action is designed to roll as you describe in recoil. The big taurus I had had a well designed grip and porting that really held the recoil to very tolerable levels with mid-range 454 casulls...no worse than a hot-loaded 4" S&W 44 magnum with no porting and wood grips. Just because a man buys a 454 casull, that doesn't mean he can't shoot mid-range casulls or even 45 colts in it. The options are very broad for a man armed with a 454 casull Raging Bull.

·
Registered
96 Posts
there is another way to approach this matter, in the 454 bull
you can shoot 45 colts,and from what i understand 81/2 -9grs of unique will take care of anything you want to hunt in the u.s.
with the exception of griz. recoil in this case would be negible
in an 8 3/8" barrel.if topped with a scope, you will probably do more damage to your shoulder from bringing the gun up to shoot.

the same is true with the 44mag/44special. heck that 44 special will definitely take down any deer.

the 41 ragin bull may be the ticket,and i love my 41s. but i believe you would be happier with 44 or 45 options,and they do put a bigger hole in a deer or bear. good luck dan

1 - 18 of 18 Posts