Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
14,234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I came across these two charts from Chuck Hawks on recoil and thought they might be useful. Interesting comparisons and several that I have no desire whatsoever to shoot.

Handgun Recoil Table

Rifle Recoil Table

·
Registered
3,368 Posts
I find it hard to take anything posted on Chuck Hawks as anything other than opinion after having read their biased articles on a number of subjects, most notably the Taurus Judge which they initially refused to review due to how useless it obviously was in their opinion, then went on to write one of the most obnoxiously arrogant inaccurate opinion pieces I have ever had the displeasure of reading on the subject.

That being said, I'm glad to see that at least in this particular article they somehow managed to find the humility to recognize felt recoil as subjective in nature, not to mention a variable which is affected by the weight of the firearm rather than simply stating opinion as objective fact.

My dislike for Chuck Hawks aside, the charts featured in the article is to their credit quite comprehensive, featuring a wide range of cartridges in various weights/velocities. Assuming they compiled this information personally based on their own testing, that's very impressive.

Reactions: Yissnakk

·
Premium Member
14,234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
There are several things that I would have liked to have seen done differently, such as two or three different loads using the same cartridge to be fired from the same weight rifle. It's hard to compare them when different weight rifles slant the results. I do see where my limits of recoil endurance lies when tying this table into my own shooting experiences. Of course shooting while seated at a bench is a different experience than shooting while standing and loads that I wouldn't want to experience at the bench are much more manageable while standing. Overall it's a decent compilation.

·
Registered
340 Posts
I’m not sure about the recoil charts on the revolvers, either. It didn’t specify a weight, length or model.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.