Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was cleaning my PT 745 the other day and noticed a good amount of wear at the frame where the base of the recoil spring sits. I don't know if it's abnormal or not.
I have read about recoil buffers for other handguns and wonder if anyone has experience with them?
Does anyone know if they make them for Taurus?

Attachments

·
Registered
29,906 Posts
Recoil Buffers HELL NO! :mad:

They are nothing but trouble, and can jam up your gun just when your life might depend on it.

If you wanna test drive them on a "range or competition gun" be my guest, but
do not ever use them on a gun used for self defense.:icon_ nono:

·
Premium Member
14,139 Posts
In a gun that doesn't come with a recoil buffer, I just add a touch of grease to wear points like that. It helps keep the wear down better than having no grease.

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
The only recoil buffers I know of are usually on Youtube, and involve the female (sorry Miss Kitty) shooter's forehead.....

·
Registered
12,813 Posts
Not a recoil buffer, but are you talking about the recoil spring group off a Glock that Dbeardsly adapted to fit a PT-145?

·
Registered
5,449 Posts
I've heard good and bad about recoil buffers. Bill Wilson sells them, other good shooters advise not to use them. So until some one shows me there is concrete proof that you should use them, I will remain bufferless.

·
Moderator in Memorium 1940-2014
13,540 Posts
Recoil Buffers HELL NO! :mad:

They are nothing but trouble, and can jam up your gun just when your life might depend on it.

If you wanna test drive them on a "range or competition gun" be my guest, but
do not ever use them on a gun used for self defense.:icon_ nono:
Could you expand on that?
Maybe tell us how you really feel?

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Not a recoil buffer, but are you talking about the recoil spring group off a Glock that Dbeardsly adapted to fit a PT-145?
I'm not familiar with that. The ones I've seen look like a plastic or rubber pad that sits behind the recoil spring to pad the frame when fired.
I did not expect such a fired up response. Ha. Makes sense I guess for a SD situation.
Chich, I do put grease at that point but it seems like an abnormal wear scar into the frame.
I've never owned a Taurus before this one and don't know if it's normal or not. Nothing's cracked or anything, and doesn't show any wear anywhere else.
I appreciate the advice anyway, hostile or not. :) :)

·
Registered
12,813 Posts

·
Premium Member
14,139 Posts
Chich, I do put grease at that point but it seems like an abnormal wear scar into the frame.
It is hard for me to tell in the photo if the wear is just shiny metal or peened.

Sometimes a new gun will mark its innards up a bit with some peening that will reach a point and then stop getting worse. Maybe your gun has reached that point or maybe not. Some guns out there use a plastic recoil spring guide which helps reduce wear without the need for a buffer. Alloy frame CZs and the Beretta 92 come to mind.

I don't know your gun well enough to know if a plastic recoil guide is available or even if the design is feasible. :confused:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts