Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to start reloading for my 38 special revolver.

I need some input as to witch kit to purchase, I have been researching both Lee's and RCBS.

I have loaded in the past, but it has been many years ago.

Any input will be help full and appreciated.

Thanks

jic

·
Registered
29,845 Posts
The .38 spl. is a good place to start. If your budget can stand it I'd start with a single stage press from RCBS or one of the other companies. My circa 1973 single stage RCBS is till working fine after 4 decades. If you're strapped for funds the LEE is not a bad option either...

·
Supporting Moderator
14,827 Posts
It will depend on your need for bragging rights, and your disposable income.

Do you want to reach your destination?

Or do you want to reach your destination in STYLE?

Chevy or BMW?

2cents.gif

Reactions: lwb92af and jic

·
Super Moderator
40,396 Posts
I would always recommend the Lee Turret press, affordable, and works as a single stage press when needed.

Watch several YouTube videos on the different options and get what you feel is best for you.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I would always recommend the Lee Turret press, affordable, and works as a single stage press when needed.

Watch several YouTube videos on the different options and get what you feel is best for you.
Fishinkeylargo, You have hit the nail right on the head; the Lee classic turret kit is exactly what I'm looking for, its affordable and is similar to the lyman I used many years ago.

The lyman you had to turn the turret by had.

I have been watch several videos on the Lee turret it looks to me it works pretty slick.

Thanks to you and the other people for their replys.

jic

·
Registered
8,620 Posts
You have made a good decision

·
Registered
20,085 Posts
I use the Lee Turret for 9, 40, 45 , .223, 300BLK & 6.8 SPC.
All but the 6.8 are used in competition and training with 9 & .223 leading the pack. I'm putting out a lot of 45 and 300K for matches as well.

Across the the bench a Lee Load All serves me well for slugs and 00 buck shot.

It is solid, well designed equipment at a reasonable price AND has loads of options.

If I won Powerball - would I have the same setup? We'll have to wait and see on that one!! I'll put you on the phone with my gunsmith and personal reloader!!! :cool:

·
Supporting Moderator
14,827 Posts
I also use the Lee, and it serves me well.
I own Kawasaki's and Yamaha's also.

I ride and reload for my own satisfaction.

snoopy bike 3.gif

·
Registered
20,085 Posts
If you get the Lee, which I have and recommend highly, buy several of the square index bushings. They will wear out. They are cheap and easy to replace.
Yep! A wear and tear part. Not a bad idea to have a spare housing that they fit into either. Wood screws into hard vinyl can give up the threads - we are talking about $1-2 parts here. Keep a stock and never be down running the machine!

·
Premium Member
16,956 Posts
If your interested I have some used RCBS .38 special dies....

·
Registered
1,296 Posts

·
Registered
14,598 Posts
The Lee turret is really a fantastic low cost reloading station. What you will want is either the auto disk powder measure or the pro version of that. I dont recommend starting out using them right away. Start with the regular powder dispenser and put it right into the cup for the scale. This will get you checking every load. I would stick with that until you get 750-1000 rounds under your belt. If you plan on loading other calibers, buy the extra 4 hole turrets. they're pretty cheap but the headaches you prevent from having to set up your dies again and again and again will be well worth the price you pay.
I currently load 38 SPL and 357 mag for my nephew and all but the first 357 round were perfect. I haven't pulled that round apart yet as it serves as a reminder to always check what I'm doing.

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
I use the Lee Classic Turret. It will load at a brisk pace, good quality, and it is cheap so you can afford to get lots of turrets and powder measures making change over a breeze.

·
Registered
6,530 Posts
Like a lot have mentioned, the Lee Classic Turret Press Kit is the way to go. That is what I use. A quick search turned up most places being out of stock right now. I found this one at FS Reloading. I have bought stuff from they are they are a good company to do business with. And the price on it is fantastic right now. I would jump on this before they are out of stock too.

https://fsreloading.com/lee-precision-classic-turret-press-kit-90304.html

On the dies, get the Lee 4 die set that are carbide dies. You wont regret it.

·
Banned
9,233 Posts
Just call me Mr. LEE. I have the Lee Classic and wouldn't trade it for anything else. Plus, the die sets are less expensive and can be found readily on Ebay and Amazon.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts