Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last November, to celebrate my 44th birthday, I put a 4" Tracker .44 Magnum on layaway at Bud's. The model number is 44TRACKER4B and the Taurus website shows the finish of that model number as "Blue Steel". Recently I was at a gun show and I noticed that some of the Trackers had a matte black finish rather than blue. Has anyone seen or bought a Tracker recently that was listed as having a blue finish, but instead was black? I'm going to be really disappointed if I pay this gun off in a couple of weeks and it shows up with a black finish.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Last November, to celebrate my 44th birthday, I put a 4" Tracker .44 Magnum on layaway at Bud's. The model number is 44TRACKER4B and the Taurus website shows the finish of that model number as "Blue Steel". Recently I was at a gun show and I noticed that some of the Trackers had a matte black finish rather than blue. Has anyone seen or bought a Tracker recently that was listed as having a blue finish, but instead was black? I'm going to be really disappointed if I pay this gun off in a couple of weeks and it shows up with a black finish.

I dont know about the Tracker, but I just bought a model 65 which was listed and priced as a blue gun. Showed up matte black. I'm kinda pissed about this. I believe I was the last to post on the show us your revolvers thread if you want to see pics. For what I paid I expected a blued gun not some cheap looking spray paint job.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I thought they put an "X" at the end of the serial numbers of blems/refurbs
Ill check when I get home, even still is it right to sell a refurb that doesn't match a product description for the same price? This is my first Taurus, I thought I would give them a shot and so far I'm not too impressed.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Ill check when I get home, even still is it right to sell a refurb that doesn't match a product description for the same price? This is my first Taurus, I thought I would give them a shot and so far I'm not too impressed.
Serial starts with HZ972... No X.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Mine was blue and I got it last month and from Bud's.
That's encouraging. If it ends up having the black finish, I guess I'll make someone here a good deal on an unfired .44 Tracker.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Definitely not what I would call blue and I'm pretty disappointed.
I'd be disappointed as well. That's very similar to the finish I saw on some of the Trackers at the gun show.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I think I'd certainly spend the 68 min., or so, on hold with Taurus support and find out. Cosmetic defects are covered for a short period of time. As long as the firearm was not sold as a refurb.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I think I'd certainly spend the 68 min., or so, on hold with Taurus support and find out. Cosmetic defects are covered for a short period of time. As long as the firearm was not sold as a refurb.
I just read on the "show your revolver" thread that someone bought a 605 expecting a blue gun and got a matte one. WTF. I think taurus should be called out for this crap.

·
Registered
8,797 Posts
My Tracker 992 from late 2013 is shiny BLACK.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Hey Jakerw87, thanks for leading me to that thread. Even with my old age eyes that surely looks like a parkerized finish. I did visit Buds and referenced OP's model number. Bud specs it as a "Black" finish. Bud's picture looks shiny but I wonder if delivery can be refused at FFL it it does indeed arrive in that flat "Black" condition which is undesired by SIGnoramus.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I did visit Buds and referenced OP's model number. Bud specs it as a "Black" finish. Bud's picture looks shiny but I wonder if delivery can be refused at FFL it it does indeed arrive in that flat "Black" condition which is undesired by SIGnoramus.
I noticed that the Bud's website has the finish listed as "Black", but I am pretty sure that it was listed as "Blued" when I placed the order. Either way, the Taurus website still lists that model number as having a "Blue Steel" finish.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I noticed that the Bud's website has the finish listed as "Black", but I am pretty sure that it was listed as "Blued" when I placed the order. Either way, the Taurus website still lists that model number as having a "Blue Steel" finish.
I would call taurus and ask but I don't have 2 hours to kill on the phone. I just this it's poor marketing and if it's done to save costs where is that reflected in the pricing? When was the last time a company charged the same for a matte finish vs a blue one. Granted taurus blue finish isn't smith quality but if a customer wants blue they want blue. This is BS in my book. We need some more very recent taurus owners or people looking chiming in.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I just checked my last order from Buds and it just so happens to be my 605. On my order form description is: 31311 - Taurus 605SS2 M605 5RD 357MAG/38SP 2" - QTY: 1

Went to Buds and searched for 31311 and although out of stock today it did show the exact gun I purchased. I re-read it carefully and although it made no mention of "matte stainless steel" I knew that was what was coming. Additionally the 605 display picture has a magnifier to better see finish. The 44TRACKER4B display picture does not.

The invoice also list this info: New Live Phone Hours - 9AM - 9PM ET (M-F) 859-368-0371. Might be more expedient to call Bud's and verify to prevent further delays and wait time if dissatisfaction sets in.

I also looked at your firearm again and it is a very, very attractive gun (finish not withstanding). Have not done a thorough search for new production .44 mags for sale but at that price point it just might be the only game in town. Once again good luck.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts