Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In recent times, on a Saturday afternoon, I went to a local gun show hoping not to see something I couldn't live without. Well, I wasn't successful, as I'm never sucessful going to gun shows without finding something I can't live without. On the back row of gun vendors I spotted a table with a lot of people around it. I saw cash going from the publics side to the vendors side numerous times before I could make my way through the crowd to the table. I finally navigated through close enough to finally see what he had causing the uproar. This gun dealer had a pile of "used" .38 Special sixguns for sale at 150-dollars. Being in uniform (law enforcement) assisted me in getting the gentleman's attention as I spotted several Smith & Wesson Model 10's and several Taurus Model 80's, all four-inch barrels and blue steel. The dealer, nice fella, told me his pile had been much larger but that was about two hours earlier and as he is talking to me potential buyers are filling out the required government paperwork to buy one of the six-shot .38's on his table. He told me that he wished he had a 100-more to sale and at that he tells me that the Taurus Model 80's were in the "best" condition as the S&W Model 10's had a lot of wear characteristics on them from the former owners (security guard company). These were trade-ins on new sidearms and this man had bought out these "used" security guard revolvers. As I stood there I started eye-balling what was left and the few S&W's left were showing more hard use than the Taurus sixgun was. I selected the best Taurus of the group, before the few left were scarfed up and paid the man the dirt cheap price and left the show with my new-to-me Model 80.

Later, I got home and examined my Taurus more closely which showed a double-action six-shooter that possible had not been shot. Just a fuzz of wear around the muzzle and beautiful walnut service grips with a brass-colored Taurus Logo Medallion in the top of each grip panel. This gun was pristine and one of the late production Model 80's that would accept +P ammo. I called the Taurus Factory for a date on my guns serial number (1994) and the reason for that is sometimes the date on the Taurus Website differs from what the person on the telephone at Taurus says. I'll take the persons side until I'm sure of better accuracy from the websites answer. The Model 80 was discontinued in 1996 and my 80's date was 94 so it was one of the last models. This Taurus was a plain vanilla package for law enforcement, security guard or the home owner wanting a reliable Taurus Revolver for self defense purposes. It has fixed sights and the ammo (.38 Special) is still readily avaliable. The hammer and trigger appear to be target-style, something S&W never offered on the Model 10 as standard. It was a good buy and for a collector of police .38 six-guns it was right up my alley. Good buys on quality trade-ins can still be had from time to time. I lucked up on this one that day as well as the other bunch of buyers present that Saturday afternoon. The 1980's and 90's Taurus six-shot .38's (Models 80,82,83,84) were some great shooters that undersold the competitionthen and still doing it today. A quality firearm at a down-to-earth price.

I'm sorry I do have have the hardware to post pics yet as I know some like those. So until my grandson gets around to helping his old grand-dad to post pics of his sixguns I'll just try to write my posts extra good and beg my friends forgiveness for my short comings. Thanks forum members and have a great day today!

David

·
Registered
7,566 Posts
Good pickup and you are now going to kill most of us because of no pictures :)

·
Registered
6,531 Posts
Good post and thanks for sharing the story and a bit of history with us. I, for one, appreciate it as I am sure many do too. Please get that grandson over soon. We would love to see a picture of your new beauty.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.