Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like to get a cheap .22 that wouldn't draw tears if dropped in mud, on gravel, ran over, lost etc.

I was thinking about the jiminez.
Around or under $100 is preferred.

Thanks
Joe

·
32,576 Posts
The only close one to fit that criteria is a Heritage Rough Rider and those are single action only revolvers similar to Ruger Single Six models. Start at $145 MSRP and go for a little over $200 for the more expensive ones. There are different barrel lengths. 3.5,4.75,5.5,and 7.5 barrel lenghts. These have had good records despite claims to the contrary on the internet. Otherwise a used Harrington and Richardson or a New England Firearms DA/SA at Gunbroker.com or one of the other online gun auction sites are your best hope. Gunshops in your area may be able to get one of the above mentioned revolvers. Used Ruger Single Sixes would run you a bit more,but would be well worth the extra money. Used Taurus 94s might be had for the price of a used Ruger Single Six. That is all I can think of for right know. Anyone have other ideas?

·
Registered
6,761 Posts
A little before Xmas I got my gf a new Phoenix Arms HP22A pistol, $130 (found out later thats MSRP). I know that she likes it. We put maybe a hundred rounds through it the first session without any trouble. If you have large hands you might not like this little thing.

It's a little 10rd (only 1 mag is supplied), 3" barreled pistol that seems to work pretty good. Its a steel(??) framed gun with both a manual safety as well as a firing pin lock lever. Size wise I'd put it in-between a Keltec P32/3AT and a Makarov/Bersa 380. The manual of arms will require you to read the manual before you take it out otherwise you will be unhappy with the gun. The disassembly and assembly is a bit of a pain (but not as bad as a Ruger 22 pistol) until you figure out the trick (hope I remember it). The LGS seems to like them as he has a few more in the case.

There are other versions with the 5" barrel instead of the 3" and a deluxe package with a hard case and both barrels, but that runs $275 or so.

They don't appear to have a website that I could find but I did find some reviews here:
http://www.handgunreview.com/make.asp?make=Phoenix Arms
The main thing I got from the reviews, send in the warranty card. If you don't your warranty won't be valid. And don't toss or lose the cable lock that comes with the gun, you have to use it if you ever ship the gun back in to get work done.

Steelheart

·
Registered
277 Posts
Might be able to find a S&W 22A in the 135-150 range at a show or a pawn shop.

·
Registered
790 Posts
The Jimenez is a good choice if you want to go inexpensive, these can be had for under $100. They are in fact a continuation of Bryco/Jennings Firearms, who produced these guns for many years in California. The new company makes the exact gun that Bryco and Jennings made. They are simple, and can be made reliable with a little work. They feed CCI mini Mags, Stinger and Aquila ammo very well, but you have to keep them clean. If you would like more specific information on Jimenez and the "fluff and buff" guide, message me, and I can direct you to the proper places. I own both Jimenez and Jennings guns. These guns are looked down on by some people, but these people usually have never owned one.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I went down pawn dr. today and found a used jennings 22 for $40, kinda ruff, but the price was good. Got delayed AGAIN! Not sure why, some joker must have the same name as me. I've read about some simple smithing you can do to make them more reliable. I mostly want it to carry while atv'ing and probably keep in the glove box for back-up.
I'm still open to suggestions though, as I've really got the fever and want to shoot cheap.

Thanks
Joe

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Steelheart, you might be interested in this: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=330091406955

Impactguns has the hp22 for $105-$110, and I think I found long barrel only version for $160 the entire kit for $190 somewhere else, can't remember where.
I'm going after one of those hp22 rangemaster kits next.

·
Registered
6,761 Posts
Thanks, I'll let my gf know as its more her gun that mine. I like my 22/45 too much.

Steelheart

·
Registered
6,000 Posts
i was actually thinking of getting another 22.. this time something compact and small.

my uncle has a j-22.. it's black.. i've never fired it we was at the range 2 weeks ago though he had nothing but jams.. but then again he did'nt oil or clean it.. and he's had it for a very long time.. definitely a cute gun though..

was looking at a taurus pt22 but i read a review that include it and i must say was very unimpressive by the pictures.. fat and sights was almost nonexistant even for a little pocket gun.

they reviewed a phoenix-arms, which i know by rep as a cheap gun maker, some how connected with all the other cheap makers i think it's now called cobra? someone wanna clear this up for me?

anyway the gun looks like a nice size, the sights look half way decent, and they said it was reliable, others on the net have also spoke of it's low price yet reliable nature.

does anyone know whats a good price to pay for one? both new and used?

·
Registered
418 Posts
Target barrel
http://gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=89484804

THe phoenix-arms 22s are 125 for blued up to 199 for the nickel with target barrel. Once you get into 150-200 range you could spend another 50-100 for a good walther p22 or ruger markIII that would last you a lifetime, but then again some times it nice to have a gun you can throw in the mud and tinker with. The phoenix guns look allot better cosmetically and mechanically than a bersa/jennings ect. I would consider purchasing one as i already have a beretta,ruger,colt, and walther .22 pistol.

target barrel nickel
http://gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=89573128

blued target barrel
http://gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=89317389

blued
http://gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=89523930

cheapest nickel i could find @ 135+15shipping = 150.00
http://gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=89577227

·
Registered
6,000 Posts
well i can get them for about 100 bucks locally, i was wanting to hear from owners of the hp-22, i know it's a cheap arms maker but i've heard they are fairly reliable for a cheap pistol.. but then of course i hear others say they're paper weights it's hard to cut threw the bull on the net.

i have a S&W 22a i like, the ruger is nice but i wanted something small the ruger is about as big as my 22a with 5.5in barrel.. adn the walther p22 is decent but again im looking for a cheap compact 22.

·
Registered
267 Posts
NewGuy,
I don't know about the Jiminez, but I've had a couple of Jennings. The .380 sucked because it tended to jam about every 3rd shot. The .22 was ok, but I was told to keep it well lubed to avoid problems. My little .22 did ok for a pocket pistol and I never had a problem with it, but I traded it for a Beretta .22 later (I liked the tip up barrel). If you got one used for $40, you did ok, just keep it lubed and cleaned. Mine ate Stinger .22 HPs very well. You never said what size you needed, but if you could spend closer to $200, there are several .22 8 or 9 shot revolvers that would do you well in real dirty situations. Might find an older used one cheap too.

·
Registered
54 Posts
i bought a used ruger mark II from gander mountain for 140.00 out the door allsome pistol

·
Premium Member
15,931 Posts
adam731432 said:
What kind of velocities do .22lr and .22 magnum revolvers put out?
Too many variables in that. There are many dif. 22LR, and magnums. Someone might have the answer, but I just go by what the boxes say they produce.

·
Registered
277 Posts
fltrucker73 said:
i bought a used ruger mark II from gander mountain for 140.00 out the door allsome pistol
Nice avitar :D

Nice find on the Ruger too.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts