Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Product Warning: Walther PPK & PPK/S

Smith & Wesson has issued a recall on all Walther PPK and PPK/S pistols manufactured between March 21, 2002 and February 3, 2009. The pistol may allow a round to fire WITHOUT THE TRIGGER BEING PULLED!!!!! -------------------------------------------
If you have such a firearm -- unload it -- do not use it -- and contact Smith & Wesson immediately -- at the following number: 1-800-331-0852 !!!!!

·
Registered
9,191 Posts
And some people wondered why i would turn down a PPK that wasn't made 20+ years ago.

·
Administrator
18,039 Posts
How the devil did they screw up a design that old??? What did they add, modify, or delete???
Smith & Wesson has identified a condition that may exist in certain PPK and PPK/S pistols which may permit a round to be discharged without the trigger being pulled. When the manual safety is disengaged, Smith & Wesson’s Product Engineering Group has determined that the possibility exists in certain firearms that lowering the hammer may cause a chambered round to fire.
From what I have read, the Decocker Safety Block was improperly machined.

I got mine years ago from InterArms somewhere in 1985.

Walther PPK/S and Browning BDA

·
Registered
45 Posts
This recall is fairly old if its the same one I'm thinking of. It's my understanding that if the recall has been performed there is a small "dimple" in the frame (behind the hammer if I recall correctly, I'm too lazy to go upstairs and check mine) to signify that the repair has been done.

With that being said, the way frame mounted decockers work always seemed a bit harsh and worried me anyway.

-Jay

·
Registered
239 Posts
I had a post recall PPK .380 but found it unreliable. I got rid of it in favor of a 709, which I find very reliable. The PPK was an absolutely beautiful gun but didn't always go bang when the trigger was pulled. Sent it back to Smith and they had it for a month but there was no improvement when it came back.

·
Administrator
18,039 Posts
Off topic, but I love that BDA. :icon_cool:
Thanx! It was a very nice handgun! Very Accurate and fun to shoot, but I did not shoot it much. Don't shoot my PPK/S much either as my 9mm 24/7 Pro seems to have stolen a lot of Thunder from some of my other Guns. Traded off the BDA back in February of 2004 in favor of my Wonder Finished .45 WItness. Sort of miss it, sort of don't miss it. It was Brownings version of the Beretta 84, except with an enclosed Slide and Slide mounted Safety/Decocker. The Beretta 84 has a frame mounted Safety. It was made by Beretta for Browning.

BTW, my Interarms made PPK/S is very reliable and accurate. Not sure what other things S&W has done to the design. I do know that the first S&W made PPK's and PPK/S's I saw looked pretty roughly made for what they cost. These days, if I was shopping for another .380, I would probably buy a Taurus PT138, TCP 738, Bersa Thunder .380 (well made Walther PP copy), or maybe a CZ83.

Reactions: Qwiks draw
1 - 9 of 9 Posts