Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Super Moderator
35,016 Posts
Been there, done that, with a 1970 MG Midget. Engine didn't need much, but everything else did. :rolleyes: Got it almost done, just needed front shocks (cantilever, weird, expensive, typical English crappy engineering (sorry Rod)) and a big yellow station wagon ran out in front of me and I totaled it. Bummer. That car gave me a new appreciation for how weird English machinery could be. My first lesson on that was a BSA Lightening 650 motorcycle.

I sincerely hope the new Triumph motorcycles are better engineered. They're laid out very Japanese like, I can say that. :D

·
Registered
7,270 Posts
I sincerely hope the new Triumph motorcycles are better engineered. They're laid out very Japanese like, I can say that. :D
And now made in Asia, I understand. That's such a shame.

British vehicles look pretty cool, for the most part, whether two wheeled or four. The motorcycles, sports cars, and small sedans had great lines.

Cool video. I like the extra parts at the end. And how he finally drains the oil after the engine is halfway taken apart. :) Looks like he did a great job.

·
Registered
2,418 Posts
Such a cool video whichfinger, thanks for sharing. Did you do this or someone else?

Reactions: whichfinger

·
Banned
5,818 Posts
British vehicles look pretty cool, for the most part, whether two wheeled or four.
The electrical systems, not so much.

·
Registered
8,620 Posts
Reminds me of why the British don't make many computers. They have a hard time getting them to leak oil.

I worked on a British car...once.

·
Registered
315 Posts
First car I ever owned was a brand new 1962 Austin Healy Sprite Mk 2 that I drove off the floor of Jaguar Cleveland. Red of course! I think I was 19 at the time.

Talk about being the envy of your friends!

Great job on the engine rebuild and video. Hope you have many years to enjoy driving it.

Reactions: whichfinger

·
Registered
7,861 Posts
Reminds me of why the British don't make many computers. They have a hard time getting them to leak oil.

I worked on a British car...once.

You only need to work on British cars once.... in that monent between purchase and selling it to the next sucker.

·
Premium Member
8,343 Posts
Lucas Electronics- Innovators of the intermittent windshield wiper.

·
Super Moderator
35,016 Posts
The electrical systems, not so much.
Lord Lucas...the prince of darkness. :D

I walked in to a Bryan, Texas Triumph motorcycle dealership in 1971 and every bike had a drip pan under it. :rolleyes: Not real thrilled about bikes that leak on the showroom floor. There's a reason all the Brit marques went belly up. Well, the Enfield got bought by an Indian firm and is still produced today. I'm not really into THAT much retro, though.

·
Registered
708 Posts
Nice.

Way back in the 80 I bought a 67 Spitfire (1147 cc high compression engine) with a rod knocking. I fiddled around with it until it finally dropped the rod.

I waited 6 months for a rod from the local dealer. Eventually got it together. It was bored .060 over to clean up the block & had to have the crankshaft welded & reground. Needed it other parts, but availability was non existent. The body had lots of rust and other issues. I ended up selling it without getting to legally drive it.

It was a fun project though.

Good luck with yours.

·
Premium Member
8,343 Posts
I discovered that the shocks on my early 60-something MGB had a small rubber plug at the top of the hydraulic oil reservoir, and that after the seals failed, (they always fail), and the fluid leaked out you could take a flex-snout oil can, fill it with motorcycle fork fluid, re-fill the reservoir and get a few hundred miles out of it before doing it again. Lots cheaper than new shocks when you're a college student.

Lucas Electronics- Our Motto- "Gentlemen, be home before dark"

Reactions: chicharrones

·
Registered
4,826 Posts
I owned a '63 MG Midget years ago, great fun car for those Sunday afternoon road trips. You drive it for a week, then work on it for two weeks to keep it running. It died in a low speed T-bone collision years ago, but fortunately my wife wasn't seriously hurt.

·
Banned
5,818 Posts
I had a Midget for two weeks. I couldn't take the cross beam in the foot wells. I got a B instead, which compared to a Midget is a big car.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts