Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok ive tried taking the rear sight out of my pt145 and it wont come off.
Ive loosen the allen screw and totally remove the set screw .
Tried heating it with hair drier tried giving it a little tap and its like locked into place.
Read alot of threads and cant figure out what i am doing wrong.
Took the front sight off with no problem ,any help i would be greatful.

Thanks

Dave

·
Registered
12,331 Posts
There's usually a big glob of loctite under the sight, so it might need a little gentle persuasion. Heat will soften the loctite and allow the sight to slide out, but you have to be very careful with the white dots. They're actually plastic inserts that run the height of the sight internally, and if the inserts get too hot they'll melt. I'd try a pencil torch around the ends of the sight tenons, followed by a tap with a brass drift and a small hammer. A soft jaw (or well padded) vice makes the job a lot easier to do.

·
Administrator
35,118 Posts
I put mine in a padded vise (still wrapped the slide in a towel) and used a wood dowel to tap it out. It took a few firm taps but it did come out.

Be sure to clean it all out there real good when you do get it out. Oh, and be sure to loosen the screw some more or just remove it.

·
Registered
10,439 Posts
Be sure to tap it out TO the RIGHT (Left TO Right). Mine had a blob of what looked like silicone sealant under the rear sight.

I have mounted several sets of Williams Firesights on PT145 (dovetail models) with minimal problems. Also be aware that the older PT145 models have a screw-on base, not a true dovetail!
Removal is different.

·
Registered
3,223 Posts
Well, I'm glad I found this thread! I just got a new two dot sight from Taurus that I was wanting to install on my PT145. Sounds like it might not be so simple as I don't have a vise or a heat gun! Should I take it to a "smithy"??

·
Registered
12,331 Posts
Well, I'm glad I found this thread! I just got a new two dot sight from Taurus that I was wanting to install on my PT145. Sounds like it might not be so simple as I don't have a vise or a heat gun! Should I take it to a "smithy"??
They're not that hard to get out. When I first removed mine I just used a brass drift and a small hammer. Once you break the loctite loose it will move more easily. With the set screw out far enough, if you hit it hard enough, it will come out. It's actually a pretty loose fit, and with the loctite gone you should easily be able to install and remove it with nothing more than your fingers.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well im doing something really wrong
Just bought the gun in oct so i hope its not a older model
Will have to try again maybe this weekend

Dave

·
Administrator
35,118 Posts
Yes, what dbeardslee said.....also, go to Lowes and buy a set of vise pads. They run about $20 and will pay for themselves many times over while working on your own guns. ;)

·
Registered
3,223 Posts
You guys are the best...Thanks and I will follow thru!!!

·
Registered
12,331 Posts
Well im doing something really wrong
Just bought the gun in oct so i hope its not a older model
Will have to try again maybe this weekend

Dave
You can tell instantly by looking at the slide - does it have dovetail cuts in it? On the older models you won't see any dovetails.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts