Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Update on Illinois' CCW Bill's Progress - A Realist's View

I am excited as much as anyone in Illinois that a CCW law is finally headed our way. But I urge Illinois citizens (and others passing thru) to not commit concealed-carry crimes until this bill becomes law. We don't need to give the anti-gunners any fuel to show we're not law-abiding types.

While some county-level attorneys are stating they won't prosecute since the Governor Quinn is taking his [email protected]$$ time approving the bill, you better have a good-sized lawyer fund handy...just in case some county attorney changes his tune.

Sadly, we're probably still going to see some stalling tomfoolery from Quinn and/or States Attorney Amy Madigan. Its going to be like watching "a slug climbing an Illinois cornstalk" here for at least another 6 to 12 months:
- Quinn can wait until July 9th and then provide his "amendatory veto" (ie change the law as passed). Then the two Illinois houses (not scheduled to convene until October) would have to vote to override his veto.
- Fellow anti-gunner Madigan has until June 24 to appeal the Federal decision. And Amy's capable of upsetting the implementation for political gain, as Madigan has her eyes on being Governor next year.
- Then no matter when the bill is finally law, the Illinois State Police have 180 days to implement the program.

Read more detail here on the ways the bill's implementation can be effected: Hold your holsters: Illinois concealed carry not likely until 2014 « Watchdog.org

So I'm not a pessimist, just a realist. Its just typical Chicago politics at its finest...affecting the entire Land of Lincoln!

And I just wonder what they'll finally get Quinn on (or Amy Madigan, or the real power broker in Illinois politics Michael Madigan-Amy's Daddy), as we sure have a recent infamous past?

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
As somewhat expected, Madigan has asked for a second extension until July 24th. Sadly I didn't see the underlined phrase ""second and final request, Honest *****" in her request.

I bet she'll try to string this implementation out until the Governor's race gets up to full song, so she can fry Quinn over allowing it to get this close to being law.

Illinois concealed carry: Lisa Madigan seeks 2nd extension on gun law decision | abc7chicago.com

NOTE: No disrespect meant to American Indians.

·
Registered
589 Posts
Can anyone go back to the federal judge and have him revisit the obvious stalling tactics of the gov & AD?

I am excited as much as anyone in Illinois that a CCW law is finally headed our way. But I urge Illinois citizens (and others passing thru) to not commit concealed-carry crimes until this bill becomes law. We don't need to give the anti-gunners any fuel to show we're not law-abiding types.

While some county-level attorneys are stating they won't prosecute since the Governor Quinn is taking his [email protected]$$ time approving the bill, you better have a good-sized lawyer fund handy...just in case some county attorney changes his tune.

Sadly, we're probably still going to see some stalling tomfoolery from Quinn and/or States Attorney Amy Madigan. Its going to be like watching "a slug climbing an Illinois cornstalk" here for at least another 6 to 12 months:
- Quinn can wait until July 9th and then provide his "amendatory veto" (ie change the law as passed). Then the two Illinois houses (not scheduled to convene until October) would have to vote to override his veto.
- Fellow anti-gunner Madigan has until June 24 to appeal the Federal decision. And Amy's capable of upsetting the implementation for political gain, as Madigan has her eyes on being Governor next year.
- Then no matter when the bill is finally law, the Illinois State Police have 180 days to implement the program.

Read more detail here on the ways the bill's implementation can be effected: Hold your holsters: Illinois concealed carry not likely until 2014 « Watchdog.org

So I'm not a pessimist, just a realist. Its just typical Chicago politics at its finest...affecting the entire Land of Lincoln!

And I just wonder what they'll finally get Quinn on (or Amy Madigan, or the real power broker in Illinois politics Michael Madigan-Amy's Daddy), as we sure have a recent infamous past?

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Is it just me or is this getting more convoluted?

- On June 19th the US Supreme Court granted AG Madigan's request for a second (and supposedly final) extension on this bill until July 22nd.

- But on the same day her father (the powerful Michael Madigan) asked Governor Quinn to just sign the bill as is.

- But if Governor Quinn decides to sign the current bill by July 9th, then AG Madigan's second request become moot.

- In the meantime some county's States Attorneys are stating they won't enforce the current No-CCW law.

Are these folks all marching to their own tune, even Daddy Madigan and daughter Amy are talking opposite viewpoints. Or is this just some complex, counter-intuitive politicking I (we) can't see thru?

With these new tactics my head is spinning! So I'm bugging out to my northwoods Wisconsin retreat for a loooong weekend. Hopefully when I get back someone can explain all this to me.

More detailed article on above bullet-points: Madigan gets guns delay; speaker wants bill OK'd - The Telegraph: Local News

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
The OP is correct.It'll be 2014 before every legal appeal and dodge is exhausted: and then the IL government will deliberately understaff the CCW department so that a nice,healthy 57 day waiting period - excuse me,"application backlog"- is created to further block the RKBA.

Reactions: djw479

·
Registered
5,070 Posts
It's a shame that they pull such stunts!

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Back from 5 days in northern Wisconsin. Nice trip as I was able to miss most of the hot&humid weather in Chicago.

Not much to report on the state level. Gov. Quinn is still “reviewing the legislation carefully”, which I interpret to mean he's dragging this on as long as possible.

But on the local level there is continued activity:
- some local towns/cities (mostly north of I-80) are debating firearm restrictions on assault/tactical weapons and/or restricting mag capacity. Maybe Quinn is postponing to allow this. AWB attempted accross Illinois - ALL villiage official info in one place - Illinois Politics - IllinoisCarry.com
- a few more counties (south of I-80) are stating they won't be enforcing the existing non-CCW law (Shelby, etc).

So we have some local governments trying to become more restrictive while some counties are getting less restrictive.

Here's an more current version of Abbott & Costello's classic "Who's on First" skit that reflects the double-talk, two-step Chicago-influenced politicians are doing:

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Well...Gov. Quinn had until July 9th to sign the previously-passed CCW bill for Illinois, but at least he didn't wait until July 8th to spring his amendments on the legislature. He sure is a nice guy, isn't he?!?!?! :bang:

Per the Chicago Tribune article link below, Quinn has used his "amendatory veto" power to change the CCW bill and send it back to both houses (inside parentheses shows what previously passed bill stated):
- moved to ban guns from all places that serve alcohol (allowed CCW if place sold more food than alcohol dollar-wise)
- allow people with permits to carry only one concealed weapon that can hold only 10 rounds of ammunition, (no definition on number of weapons & capacity restrictions),
- required guns to be completely concealed instead of partially (n/a)
- give employers more rights to regulate guns in their businesses (n/a)
- removed a provision to prevent home-rule towns from enacting assault weapons bans. (prior bill only gave them 10 days to pass home-rule restrictions),
- (Quinn did NOT include verbage re-introduce a tactical/assault weapons ban).

Link for Chicago Tribune article: Quinn writes stricter rules into concealed carry bill - chicagotribune.com

Just some quick background, the Illinois Senate & House of Reps are being called back to a July 8th special session as Gov. Quinn and legislature are still pontificating on Illinois' huge $100 billion deficit problem (public retirement system). So I guess he just decided to add another highly-charged subject to the special session agenda and add a few more days at $40K per day! I mean, what's another $40K+ per day...when you're already $100 Billion in debt.

Link for Per Diem costs article: Hefty price tag for Illinois special session | ksdk.com

You just gotta love a Chicago-based Democratic politician(Gov. Quinn) for staying true to his colors! Don't listen to the public and keep spending the public's money.

And, we still don't know what Madigan has up her sleeve if the houses pass either this amended bill or override his veto of the previously passed bill.

Stay tuned, it ain't over until the fat lady (on welfare) sings!

·
Registered
180 Posts
Honestly, I think Chicago's history is ruining it for the rest of the state. It is sad that they let that city get so bad then point to it saying "See, we told you guns were bad!" Perhaps you can kick Chicago out and make it it's own state and let it govern itself.

·
Registered
10,022 Posts
When it does get passed, all I can say is you better know somebody. Good luck getting one. Its going to end up like Commifornia. My ccw class instructor said in San Fran theres a whopping 6 people with carry permits. Hope Illinois gets a "shall issue" in the bill.

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
CCW is coming to Illinois.

180 days for Illinois Police to implement processes and then folks can start to get training & apply. Bet January 2014 will be busy in that new Department!

But...but...forgive me for being in a state of shock and somewhat leery. Since I'm a long-term Illinoisan, I still have a slight worry of Chicago-led anti-gunners having something up their sleeves.

Still all-in-all, quite a defeat for Gov Quinn, Amy Madigan and Major Rahm Emanuel. All of them feel they know better what is good for Illinois' citizens, than the common folks themselves.

·
Registered
615 Posts
The OP is correct.It'll be 2014 before every legal appeal and dodge is exhausted: and then the IL government will deliberately understaff the CCW department so that a nice,healthy 57 day waiting period - excuse me,"application backlog"- is created to further block the RKBA.
57 days sounds ok to me, In Kent County Michigan that would be considered fast!

·
Banned
17,333 Posts
Congrats to all of you, Looking forward to Wally-Walks especially In Chicago! :thumb:

·
Registered
10,614 Posts
Congratulation to all of y'all in Illinois!!! I hear the Legislature overrode all of the Governor's changes and passed it through virtually unchanged from the original bill. Nice! :thumb:

·
Registered
4,736 Posts
CCW is coming to Illinois.

180 days for Illinois Police to implement processes and then folks can start to get training & apply. Bet January 2014 will be busy in that new Department!

But...but...forgive me for being in a state of shock and somewhat leery. Since I'm a long-term Illinoisan, I still have a slight worry of Chicago-led anti-gunners having something up their sleeves.

Still all-in-all, quite a defeat for Gov Quinn, Amy Madigan and Major Rahm Emanuel. All of them feel they know better what is good for Illinois' citizens, than the common folks themselves.
Assuming it is the same bill that made it through and that I have read (3/4's of it at this time), it is pretty tight on the time line of when the permit is requested and when it must be issued or denied with reason for denial and it contains appeal processes. By day 180, the State police (or local sheriffs) will need to be up and running.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts