Taurus Firearm Forum banner

Re: Sight picture for Heinie sights

2K views 16 replies 7 participants last post by  dbsoundguy 
#1 ·

Qwiks draw said:
Use the shooting position ,stance, or method that works for you.
<big snip>

Good reading! I guess I have a question that would come under "method." And I'm guessing the answer is another thing that will vary with the individual. That regards the word "hold."

Do most shooters try to put whatever sight picture they prefer in place and hold it "rock steady?" Or do most people sweep the sights through the position and try to pull the trigger as they cross the desired point?

Have you seen the little dancing stick-man toys made for Appalachian kids? If you tap it, it's legs and arms fly all over. Frankly, if I try to lock in on a target I seem to end up with a slow motion version of stick-man's arms, and I don't seem to do much better "sweeping."

Any tips, tricks or, better yet, incantations you can offer will be appreciated!

Thanks a million

JimL

See less See more
#2 ·

Do most shooters try to put whatever sight picture they prefer in place and hold it "rock steady?" Or do most people sweep the sights through the position and try to pull the trigger as they cross the desired point?
Not sure i understand this...wonder that now also..Good post
have to wait and see what the Guru's have to say ;)

#4 ·

When I shoot two handed I shoot thumbs forward. I'm right handed so I have a firm right grip but the left hand grips tighter overlapping the right. I try to not do the death grip with my right hand so I can pull the trigger smoothly. Also if I'm making multiple shots I try and release the trigger only enough to reset it. As for the sight picture I just try and hold as still as possible, but it moves some no matter what so I kinda try to time the trigger pull with the sight picture. It doesn't help wearing bifocals ( I can't see crap without glasses) trying to focus on the front sight but what are you gonna do. Mark

#5 ·

Blind as a bat myself. Can only see the front sight with glasses off or looking over the top.
I'm also not that good of a shot, having a compact gun probably doesn't help.
I usually take a more relaxed approach to shooting. Not a death grip on the gun, don't try real hard for the x. Just point it and shoot, two to the whole mag. Shots aren't great but within a 4" circle at 10 yards.
I know I'll never be a pistol expert. I'm more interested in the handgun for self defense and my groups seem tight enough. Seldom have a flyer and for center mass shots I'm acceptable. Don't feel comfortable with head shots yet, might miss :'(

If and when I ever need the gun I don't think grip, stance or the front sight picture will even be on my mind. I know when I practice I try to work on those things. Real life I'll be more concerned about cover and a clean shot. :eek:

#6 ·

Just point it and shoot, two to the whole mag. Shots aren't great but within a 4" circle at 10 yards.
I remember reading somewhere that, when you are shooting,where you look is where you will naturally point..not sure if it is correct,but i have done that before,and when i am relaxed,it works for me..only for very close shots though..in a bad situation,have no idea how that works..hopefully i will never find out....
Seems like, when i shoot,the more i think about it,the worse i shoot :rolleyes:..probally a bad habit i picked up when i was younger.. Duuno

what do you guys mean by sweeping... :???: :)
is that the same as shooting at a moving target?

Also ...what is a Heinie Sight...i think i hijacked this post....
is this post about sight pictures or gun sights...sorry if this went the wrong direction

#7 ·

stephpd said:
If and when I ever need the gun I don't think grip, stance or the front sight picture will even be on my mind. I know when I practice I try to work on those things.
I wonder how much practice it takes to do what I saw on TV. It was a report on some instructors at an anti-terrorist training school. There were 5 body shaped targets with a balloon tied to the top of each one for the head.

Two shots per body took about 5 or 6 seconds. In a return sweep, one shot per balloon took 3 or 4 seconds. No one missed any of the shots. Those fast balloon shots impressed me. I don't remember if there was a reload. Practice, practice, practice.

JimL

#8 ·

dbsoundguy said:
I remember reading somewhere that, when you are shooting,where you look is where you will naturally point..not sure if it is correct,but i have done that before,and when i am relaxed,it works for me..only for very close shots though..in a bad situation,have no idea how that works..hopefully i will never find out....
My boss was ex-army counter intelligence. He said they teach a super fast shot before you actually line up (onto a sidewalk if handy, to stir up concrete shrapnel), then a couple point shots to center-of-mass, then a sighted head shot. Bam, bam, bam, bam in quick succession.

So apparently it isn't necessary to wait for the perfect shot, rather blaze away while you're getting to it. Makes sense to me.

JimL

#9 ·

Heinie sights are standard equipment sights on the newer guns ie; 3rd gen milpro, 24/7 and I think they are on the OSS. They have one dot on both the front and rear sights. Set the front dot on top of the rear dot.
They are also making 3 dot and night sights for Taurus guns. Just google Heinie. Dont know how to put links on these posts yet. ;)

Here's the link:
https://www.heinie.com/cart/index.php?cPath=9_21&osCsid=ef0ce9990cb8ed4ed49a17d24d154509

#11 ·

He said they teach a super fast shot before you actually line up (onto a sidewalk if handy, to stir up concrete shrapnel), then a couple point shots to center-of-mass, then a sighted head shot. Bam, bam, bam, bam in quick succession.
Oh My Gosh.. :eek:
Hope i never have to do that :D..LOL..
Bet that would work better with a auto, a revolver probally would not work as easy...DUUNNO :)

They are also making 3 dot

i had those one my 1911, never shot that well with them...guess i have always shot sites you have to hold a 6:00..seems like i was always fighting with how to shoot with them..that is one of the reasons i got rid of it(although now i know it was stupid) :bang:
figured if i could not hit anything with it,might as well get something different(live and learn..and i was young and dumb) :D

OMG..can you see me shooting with only a dot in the front and back..after reading my post :D :D...LOL

#14 ·

dbsoundguy said:
Oh My Gosh.. :eek:
Hope i never have to do that :D..LOL..
Bet that would work better with a auto, a revolver probally would not work as easy...DUUNNO :)
Not sure about that. He carried a Chief Special on the range. Back when he was doing the counter-I thing there weren't that many autos around. Our force was all revolver (early 70's). There was a reason several snubs were called "CIA."

JimL

#15 ·
Yep that carried .38's and were about the first to carry what we call +P's now.

#16 ·
Sweep, POI, ISO, Weaver, little dot on top of the big dot, three dots......... oh boy I'm gonna add 4 more feet to the top of the berm.

#17 ·

oh boy I'm gonna add 4 more feet to the top of the berm.
lol... :D

[Not sure about that.  He carried a Chief Special on the range.  Back when he was doing the counter-I thing there weren't that many autos around.  Our force was all revolver (early 70's).  There was a reason several snubs were called "CIA."...........Yep that carried .38's and were about the first to carry what we call +P's now....../quote]

Nice.... ;D ;D 8)
thanks for the history lesson...lol ;)

K..now i retract my previous statement about revolvers :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.