Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
680 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Re: Sight picture for Heinie sights

Qwiks draw said:
Use the shooting position ,stance, or method that works for you.
<big snip>

Good reading! I guess I have a question that would come under "method." And I'm guessing the answer is another thing that will vary with the individual. That regards the word "hold."

Do most shooters try to put whatever sight picture they prefer in place and hold it "rock steady?" Or do most people sweep the sights through the position and try to pull the trigger as they cross the desired point?

Have you seen the little dancing stick-man toys made for Appalachian kids? If you tap it, it's legs and arms fly all over. Frankly, if I try to lock in on a target I seem to end up with a slow motion version of stick-man's arms, and I don't seem to do much better "sweeping."

Any tips, tricks or, better yet, incantations you can offer will be appreciated!

Thanks a million

JimL

· Registered
680 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

stephpd said:
If and when I ever need the gun I don't think grip, stance or the front sight picture will even be on my mind. I know when I practice I try to work on those things.
I wonder how much practice it takes to do what I saw on TV. It was a report on some instructors at an anti-terrorist training school. There were 5 body shaped targets with a balloon tied to the top of each one for the head.

Two shots per body took about 5 or 6 seconds. In a return sweep, one shot per balloon took 3 or 4 seconds. No one missed any of the shots. Those fast balloon shots impressed me. I don't remember if there was a reload. Practice, practice, practice.

JimL

· Registered
680 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

dbsoundguy said:
I remember reading somewhere that, when you are shooting,where you look is where you will naturally point..not sure if it is correct,but i have done that before,and when i am relaxed,it works for me..only for very close shots though..in a bad situation,have no idea how that works..hopefully i will never find out....
My boss was ex-army counter intelligence. He said they teach a super fast shot before you actually line up (onto a sidewalk if handy, to stir up concrete shrapnel), then a couple point shots to center-of-mass, then a sighted head shot. Bam, bam, bam, bam in quick succession.

So apparently it isn't necessary to wait for the perfect shot, rather blaze away while you're getting to it. Makes sense to me.

JimL

· Registered
680 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

dbsoundguy said:
Oh My Gosh.. :eek:
Hope i never have to do that :D..LOL..
Bet that would work better with a auto, a revolver probally would not work as easy...DUUNNO :)
Not sure about that. He carried a Chief Special on the range. Back when he was doing the counter-I thing there weren't that many autos around. Our force was all revolver (early 70's). There was a reason several snubs were called "CIA."

JimL

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.