Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Re: mystery taurus

I am also looking for information on an older Taurus revolver.Can't find any model number in the usual places. It is a double action 6-shot with a 4" barrel and I think adjustable rear sight. The sight is missing and I would like to replace it but I can't identify the model.

·
Registered
6,761 Posts
Some pic's might help members to ID the model etc. Include a pic of the top of the gun where the OEM sight was.

Steelheart

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Hope this works.It is a 38 Special only. It is about 1 5/8" from the screw-hole to the back notch on the top strap where the sight mounts. Yes, i know those are Smith grips. I believe it came with plastic but they were broken.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have add a couple pictures. The closest thing I have found is a model 86. Not sure if that is the same or not.

·
Registered
339 Posts

Under the grips?

·
Registered
532 Posts

I remember having a Taurus .22 DA Revolver back in the early 70s. It had some of the ugliest features of any gun I've ever known. The cylinder flutes and the top strap were serrated, wthi teh flutes very sharp. The topstrap looked like it was serrated with a bastard file. The grips looked like a pine with walnut finish and the same type of serrations as the topstrap. It was SOOOO ugly. It shot, though. Accuracy was not bad for a $50 gun, and that was what it cost. The adjustable rear sight moved all oover as you adjusted it, but stayed where you left it. It looked somewhat like this .38 spec revolver you are showing. I just couldn't look at a gun so ugly.
I have had other Taurus revolvers that looked great, but not this one.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I think Taurus web site has a feature that allows you to ype ser # and it will tell you model#,and when it was made. I used it for a PT99 I had.

·
Registered
354 Posts
The serial number records at TaurusUSA only go back as far as when they took over as the U.S. importer for Taurus firearms which was sometime in the early to mid '80's or even before that. I have a PT99 that I tried to get information on from their website and it comes back with no data. I even phoned them and they told me that my gun pre-dates the time since they've taken control.

My PT99 has "INT.DIST.INC. MIAMI, FLA" stamped on the side and was probably manufactured 25-30 years ago, previous to when the current importer had control.

I have the next generation of that .38 revolver that you show and it isn't much different except it didn't come with adjustable sights. You'll probably have to have a gunsmith do the job for you.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts