Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,737 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have some older Mag-Tec primers in 4 different headstamped brass. I have enough brass where I could just put all my Mag-Tecs into one brand of brass. I jumped the gun trying to use these primers up and now I just want them in one headstamp. Can I press them out and reseat them in a different case safely and will they go bang when I shoot them? If not, no biggie.

·
Registered
37,148 Posts
EEEEHHH!
primers are not to be played with in my opinion, they charge these things while they are wet with the primer material so that can tell ya how picky they can be.
its just not worth it even today in the shortage to try to decap a live primer, and honestly I am not sure that it would not destroy the ability to function as well.
as they say on the fire department "is the save worth the risk"?
OF course this is simply my opinion as I sit here with 2 eyes, 2 ears, and all 10 fingers.-LOL

Reactions: glenwolde

·
Premium Member
17,735 Posts
I've done it a few times, but never in any quantity. Usually when I crush a case, or spot a bad case after it's been primed. They all went bang. In your case I don't think I would. I would have been forced to waste the primer, you're not.

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
Unless you're going to load them in a rifle for precision shooting
I don't think you'll see enough of a performance/accuracy improvement
having them in all the same brand cases to make a noticeable
difference.

They'll come out and usually reseat and fire just fine but is it
really worth the time?

All the Best,
D. White

Reactions: jimb1972

·
Registered
3,737 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Unless you're going to load them in a rifle for precision shooting
I don't think you'll see enough of a performance/accuracy improvement
having them in all the same brand cases to make a noticeable
difference.

They'll come out and usually reseat and fire just fine but is it
really worth the time?

All the Best,
D. White
Probably not. I will load them up and shoot them then switch back to Rem 7 1/2s.

·
Registered
15,430 Posts
I have some older Mag-Tec primers in 4 different headstamped brass. I have enough brass where I could just put all my Mag-Tecs into one brand of brass. I jumped the gun trying to use these primers up and now I just want them in one headstamp. Can I press them out and reseat them in a different case safely and will they go bang when I shoot them? If not, no biggie.
[SARCASM=ON] Paul, you're either Anal or OCD, which is it? [/SARCASM=OFF] With the amount of primed brass you have, I would say to go ahead and finish the loading of the brass and just box it up based on load, bullet weight and primer. Worst case scenario is you use it for target shooting or plinking not competition or PD rounds.

·
Registered
3,737 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
[SARCASM=ON] Paul, you're either Anal or OCD, which is it? [/SARCASM=OFF] With the amount of primed brass you have, I would say to go ahead and finish the loading of the brass and just box it up based on load, bullet weight and primer. Worst case scenario is you use it for target shooting or plinking not competition or PD rounds.
I'm anal and OCD. Haha. I will make some into plinkers and some will be hunting rounds.

·
Registered
20,085 Posts
Yeah I've accidentally uncapped a round on occasion and have seated it and used it without incident but I would ( personally) do that on a batch basis. Any round that I have re-primered also was removed from a competition box if that's where it was heading.

·
Registered
37,148 Posts
I'm anal and OCD. Haha. I will make some into plinkers and some will be hunting rounds.
I have CDO, its the same as OCD except for some reason i need to keep putting the letters in correct alphabetical order over and over???
I have no explaination for being anal or my addiction to 1911's.!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts