Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Banned
4,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I was at Dillon the other day, I commented to the guy about the powder-level alarm that they had set up on the 650. I like it a lot.

What impressed me, was the guy's reluctance to "push" their product. He told me that my Hornady LNL was indeed a fine machine, and told me about the RCBS lock-out die.

If been assessing my finances, and decided that I have too many options and accessories invested in my Hornady, to sell it, and buy the Dillon 650, so yesterday I ordered the lock-out die.

Fifty bucks is an easy spend. Got it from Amazon, with free one-day shipping.

OKAY .......... So, who uses the lock-out die? Does it perform like it's supposed to? Are you happy with it?

·
Banned
4,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If your powder charge is too high or too low, it locks-up the press, so you know you have a problem. Only works with progressive presses, and only on pistol calibers.

·
Banned
4,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Doesn't seem to be too much interest in it, but I thought I would report my findings after buying it anyway. (I guess there aren't too many here who use progressive loaders)

This die is awesome. I wish I would have bought one way back when I lived in FL, and was pumping out massive amounts of ammo. I had a few squibs, one of which resulted in a bulged barrel on my wife's Bersa Thunder .380. But they replaced that with a new gun under warranty.

Anyway, let me get to the meat of the subject: You install the die between the charge die, and the seating die. EXTREMELY EASY to set up.

Too little charge: Handle stops ..... Problem. ............................ Too much charge: Handle stops...... Problem.

For those with progressive loaders (apparently less than I thought), this is well worth the fifty bucks. It will save the time of visually looking into each case.

·
Registered
10,614 Posts
This sounds like a great deal for preventing kabooms and squibs. If I had a progressive reloading tool, I would get one for my setup, that's for sure. Sorry, I'm still on single-stage presses.

·
Premium Member
16,955 Posts
Yup, me too. Still in the dark ages of single stage press's....

·
Super Moderator
40,475 Posts
Agree with others, if I had a progressive press with multiple stations I would use one. I would also want the bullet feed die/tubes and the case feed tubes. Are there enough stations for all of this?

·
Registered
3,116 Posts
I've been using the lockout die on my Dillon XL650 for a few years now and it is very reliable. Even though it's quite hard to get a double charge on this Dillon. Didn't say impossible but if you half pay attention, which is a no-brainer when doing something that could be dangerous, it's quite hard to do.

When they say "lock out" they mean it. Everything locks up and you ain't goin nowhere till you figure it out and correct it.

·
Registered
29,861 Posts
With no offense intended to those who have them...my "Lock Out Die" is between my ears.

I feel the same way about back up cameras and RADAR options on sedans (vs. buses or large trucks).

·
Banned
4,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Agree with others, if I had a progressive press with multiple stations I would use one. I would also want the bullet feed die/tubes and the case feed tubes. Are there enough stations for all of this?
Yeah, the feed mechanisms mount along side the turret. I recently priced them out. NOPE. I can turn out enough ammo without spending that much money, but nice to know they can always be added if you so desire.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts