Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
May I ask if it's normal to hear a rattling sound when you gently shake the magazine; the kind that seems there are loose rounds in the mag? It happens when I load JHP rounds, but not with FMJ rounds. When I give the mag a tap or two at the back of it, the rattling ceases as if the rounds fell into place, but only to hear the rattling again after a while. Thank you.

·
Registered
8,803 Posts
IMO it's normal. Some do some don't. Doesn't affect operation and it's not like I'm trying to sneak up on someone and mag rattle is giving me away. If you load one round short of max that sometimes prevents the rattle of ammo in mag. This only happens with my double stack mags - PT92 & Mil Pro's being worst of the lot.

·
Registered
550 Posts
Tapping the back of the mag is something that should be done every time you load one. I used to see soldiers in old war movies rapping their magazines against their helmets and never knew why until I took up pistol shooting.

By chance, do you use a MagUpLULA mag loader?

If not, then I'll leave this tip for those who do (like me. I could not live - or load - without one!)

When inserting rounds, tilt them up and push them back back as you insert each round in. This ensures that they will fit flush against the back of the mag. Since there is no room to do that with the last two rounds, use the opportunity to make sure that the last two rounds are slid all the way back and are directly lined up, one on top of the other. Give a final push on the noses of the last two rounds and you won't be hearing any more rattling.

Reactions: ED1

·
Registered
550 Posts
A lot of Vietnam flicks show that as well.

·
Registered
9,679 Posts
My PT-140 Mill. pro rattles sometimes, I don't have a 111 to compare it to.
This is normal if it functions okay otherwise.

Welcome to the forum from Northern Oklahoma.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Good advice. .I have been wondering about the rattling on only 1 of my 3 magazines, I use a Mag Lula and always push bullets against backside when loading up..seems to help mine.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks, Wino. I was worried I have faulty magazines. They do work, but I was afraid they might fail me. Now I know it's normal.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks, garyh. I feel better now that I know it doesn't affect the performance of the magazine.

·
Administrator
35,787 Posts
I've noticed that rattle from many different polymer guns, Glock included. I don't think it's anything to worry about.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Big Thanks Everyone

A big THANK YOU to everyone for welcoming me to the forum and helping me answer my question. Now, I don't have to speculate as I now have a community to talk to. I hope I can provide helpful tips and give back in the future, too.

·
Administrator
41,060 Posts
By the way, how do I LIKE a post? :)
Hover your cursor in the text field of a post. To the right, you'll see Like/Share. Click.

·
Registered
762 Posts
My 24/7G2c mag rattles when loaded full. If I remove one round the noise reduces drastically. You may want to try that and see if it helps.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks, palabman. It does help. The rattling seems to start with the 8th or 9th round.

·
Registered
762 Posts
Thanks, palabman. It does help. The rattling seems to start with the 8th or 9th round.
I just picked up my new G2 yesterday. After disassembling the mags and cleaning them I loaded them to capacity. Mine have no rattle. I did have some weld spatter on the inside of one mag that was causing the case head to stick but after hitting it with a file it's okay. Have you tried disassembling and cleaning?

I just noticed that you said it only happens with HP ammo. That's what I have in mine now with no rattle (124 gr Federal Hydra-Shock).

1 - 20 of 27 Posts