Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

Administrator
Discussion Starter #1
The annual rattlesnake rodeo is in progress at Sweetwater, Texas thru Sunday. Last years catch was over 5,200 pounds of snakes. Knife and gunshow, rattlesnake cook off, snake charmin', prizes for the fattest, longest, cutest...well you know what I mean, lots of fun and stuff to see. Nolan County Coliseum.

Anyone on this forum plan to attend? :yipee: :clap: :thumb:

Registered
I'd go for the knife and gunshow...but as far as a snake cook-off---I'll pass. I'm a New Yorker, so I'll stick to cat meat from the restaurants in Chinatown.

Administrator
Discussion Starter #5
Does that cat meat taste like chicken? Snake really does. :thumb:

Registered
Never had cat or snake but Ostrich is somewhat appealing. Unfortunately they don't run wild in Kentucky.

:p

Administrator
I'd love to go next year - do they use the event to control the population, or do they import rattlesnakes from elsewhere?

Registered
Robby said:
Hey come up, I got wild turkeys somewhere on this place, I know you guys love turkey!!
Turkey, Rabbit, Squirrel, Deer, Snapping Turtle, etc.. even Alligator.. I love it all. :D

Administrator
Discussion Starter #11
texastaurusguy said:
I'd love to go next year - do they use the event to control the population, or do they import rattlesnakes from elsewhere?
Never thought much about population control, but they are local critters. O0

Registered
I would love to go, but i have my own rodeo when i go hiking by my house..lol
It does sound like a lot of fun :D

or do they import rattlesnakes from elsewhere?
Yeah!!! from Arizona :rolleyes: :devil: :devil:

I think it all tastes like chicken..lol

Administrator
dbsoundguy, are they sidewinders, or diamondbacks, or both?

Registered
dbsoundguy, are they sidewinders, or diamondbacks, or both?
Both and then some..Where i am in Central Arizona it is mostly- ****-tails or Mojaves... :eek:
You definitely keep one eye on the ground at all times..lol :)

We have 13 species of Rattlesnakes...Yikkeess

Super Moderator
Eastern diamond back is a big sucker here in TN, we got copperheads and them damn cotten mouths chase your butt right out of your boat its funny to see as long as your not in the boat :)
I would love to see a round up. I've got a cousin in Amarillo I've been meaning to visit. :)

Premium Member
Well here in KY, I only see large copperheads, but I know the others are around. As a kid I used to carry a 22 rifle and shoot snakes from the top of the tractor.

Registered
Hey, besides catching rattlers for a cookoff, & possibly milking them
for their venom to make anti-venom, what else do they use them for?
Perhaps this may seem like a silly question. But like NYPD, I am also
a native New Yorker (Brooklyn).

I haven't had the ?pleasure? of eating rattlesnake meat; but I've heard
it said many times, that they do indeed taste like chicken.

Administrator
Discussion Starter #19
The skins are used to make hat bands, belts, wallets and boots. Just about anything you can imagine. I just tossed an old pair of boots made of python skin. You can also find them stuffed. Scare the crap outta ya if you don't know. Venom milking, research, pets and a delicacy (to some). I even know a fella that lives on the other side of the canyon from me that keeps a couple in a large fish tank. Feeds 'em live mice. I forget what he calls 'em. :angel:

Super Moderator
Smoke we need to buy up that canyon by you and make us a little milita :) Just in case the Supreme Court says we can't protect ourselves :) a really nice one though we can give out free ice creem on the weekends and ballons for the kids. Just so the Powers that be don't come a Waco are butts :) LOL!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts