Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
9,561 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After our range session last night, DH & I cruised past the glass cases and I immediately honed in on a bright & shiny pistol with a Taurus logo! That in and of itself is extemely rare at our lgs as they are very anti Taurus, but they are good folks and we forgive them because they just don't know any better.;)

I asked them if I could hold it, and I reverently took it from them and felt the fine heft in my hands and checked it out -holy cow, it has adjustable sights and a de-cocker! I push back the slide, and then release it. Check - my fingers are long & strong enough. Trigger - check, it's crisp. Magazine release works great, inside looks clean, outside looks practically new! So I ask - where did this PT99 come from?

Apparently an older retired gentleman that had been a professor at the local university and can no longer shoot brought it in along with a Colt 1911 series 70 (extremely drool-worthy!!!) to put on consignment to sell just a couple of days prior! I asked them to put the PT 99 in the safe with my name on it to hold it so I can check out the mfgr date. The Colt we left behind in the case, but I am all itchy about that one, too.

The PT99 checks out to be made in 2001. That's pretty good, isn't it folks? The professor, in his infinite wisdom, threw out the original box and paperwork, and there is just 1 mag with it, but I won't have to pay shipping and the price is consistent with GB prices, that is to say a bit high but still reasonable for the great condition it's in and the generally higher prices on guns in our area.

Our technician is going down to a gun show in VA today where it's legal to buy high cap mags and I asked him to find me two - I haven't even bought the gun yet, but I figure what the heck? :) While it's not illegal to own a high cap mag in MD, they cannot be purchased in-state (yes, I know...ridiculous, isn't it?)

So, the PT99 is virtually already mine in my mind. The Colt, well, I don't know. Are the model 70's really better than the model 80's because the 80 we have is pretty cool....and DH does let me shoot it, unlike some of his other guns! :)

Ya'll are probably thinking that this PT99 really isn't such a big deal, but for me & where we live, it's like spotting a bald eagle soaring across the sky....which we've seen, several times! :) I think it's a good omen!

·
Registered
9,561 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Like this one?! You'll love it! Congratulations Sekol!

View attachment 103387
EXACTLY!!!! DH loves me sooo much that he went over this morning to pay for it and fill out the paperwork while I've been getting ready to teach two classes today! He's a real keeper!
What do you think about a grip sleeve for it? Might help these old hands hold on to it better... I found this on Amazon...

It's a pachmayer grip. I have as couple of the Houge grip sleeves on pistols - but they seem to increase width, too, and this one doesn't appear to do that.

·
Registered
36,084 Posts
Congrats!
I would wait on the grip sleeve until I shot It a bit.
the 92/99 is a big pistol and in 9 MM has very little bite at all, even with plus p ammo its not bad.
the grip is kind of fat and the sleeve would only add to this.
try it first and see would be my approach.
enjoy.

·
Registered
4,464 Posts
Drool drool. You know that Mec-Gar makes a 20 rd mag that will fit the 99, don't you?

Reactions: darbo and Sekol

·
Registered
9,561 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Drool drool. You know that Mec-Gar makes a 20 rd mag that will fit the 99, don't you?
Now I do!!!!:D:D:D

AND - our tech just got back from the gun show in VA and brought two Taurus 92 hi cap mags for me!! Life is good in the Sekol house!

·
Registered
34,137 Posts
I have a PT99 which I really like. It is smooth as silk. Mine has the rail but I like the ones with out the rail better. That's a real pretty gun you got there and I think you'll enjoy shooting it. The only down side is that because they are so fun to shoot you will burn up a lot of 9 mm ammo!

·
Super Moderator
40,475 Posts
Well you know how I feel about the PT-99.

Just in case you forgot: ;)

DSC02666_zps078e39aa.jpg

·
Supporting SuperModerator
14,871 Posts
:drool: :drool:

·
Registered
9,561 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
WOW Fish - I didn't know your stable was quite that big! :) And bigskiff - I love those grips - very snazzy!!!

·
Banned
15,276 Posts
You know you really have accomplished something, when people talk about how big your stable is! :icon_ banana::icon_ banana::icon_ banana:Way to go Paul! Nice group of PT99's indeed!:thumb:

·
Registered
9,561 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
You know you really have accomplished something, when people talk about how big your stable is! :icon_ banana::icon_ banana::icon_ banana:Way to go Paul! Nice group of PT99's indeed!:thumb:

·
Super Moderator
40,475 Posts
One of each version released starting from the lower left.

1st version: Early model with Euro style mag release.
2nd version: Mag release moved to current location. Ambi safety, no de-cocker.
3rd version: Ambi safety switch with decocker.
4th version: Rail added.

·
Registered
18,376 Posts
One of each version released starting from the lower left.

1st version: Early model with Euro style mag release.
2nd version: Mag release moved to current location. Ambi safety, no de-cocker.
3rd version: Ambi safety switch with decocker.
4th version: Rail added.
You just need a shiny one to finish the stable.

·
Registered
18,376 Posts
Congrats!
I would wait on the grip sleeve until I shot It a bit.
the 92/99 is a big pistol and in 9 MM has very little bite at all, even with plus p ammo its not bad.
the grip is kind of fat and the sleeve would only add to this.
try it first and see would be my approach.
enjoy.
^^^this^^^

The grip on the 99 is pretty good sized. While not checkered the front and back straps have good gripping surfaces. I did add these Hogue grips that offer a lot of grip. Originally I was worried the aluminum might be too aggressive but it's actually pretty comfortable.

Taurus PT-99 PT-92 PT-100 PT-101 With Decocker Checkered Aluminum - Brushed Gloss Black Anodized | Hogue Inc.

·
Registered
27,166 Posts
Looks like you've got the Taurus all taken care of, so I'll just say Congratulations, this is one of the best handguns out there. You will enjoy it.

And on to your question about the Colt. I know there are a lot of people who swear that the Model 70 has a better trigger than the 80. I have both and I can't tell the difference. Now, admittedly, all my Colt's are (were before the flying monkey attack) National Match and Gold Cup versions, but each and every one has a superb trigger no matter what the series.
If the price is right I would not hesitate no matter which one it is.

·
Registered
36,084 Posts
I have the 92, but would not trade for any thing.

Darned and I have this Colt Gold Cup match, Unfired Python, and Wilson Combat 1911 that I wanted to trade even to someone for a Taurus 92.
shucks!!!!!-----------------------------:bang:

1 - 20 of 31 Posts