Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
4,342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Took my daughter to the range today, it was her first time ever firing any type of gun...

She had a blast, She shot my Taurus 24/7 Pro .40 and my XD40SC... below are her targets, she shot 50 rounds at each target. The Taurus one only had 30 something hits, but this was her first shoot, she did better as she went along, hitting 48 that I counted on the XD target.

All rounds were fired from 25 yards. I must say, I was THOROUGHLY impressed with her shooting, she had never even held a gun in her hands before!!! If I was a BG, and she told me to stop, I believe I would STOP!

Taurus target:

Springfield XD40SC target:

·
Registered
6,000 Posts
not bad for a first shoot.. although imo start newbies off at 7yards. thats defensive range and easier to hit.. give'em some confidence and inch your way out..

·
Administrator
36,016 Posts
I believe I would stop too!! Good job bringing your little girl up right, showing her how to safely handle a firearm. :thumb:

·
Moderator Emeritus, with us always.
15,931 Posts
I wish I could use the proper word for her shooting!! But I try to stay G rated. I agree, that is a heck of a target from 25 yds. I probably would not be that good with a first time gun.

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
Looks like it's time for sombodies first gun! :)

·
Super Moderator
22,420 Posts
Brought my daughters up shooting and they love it. Way to go she did a great job congrats to her. girls are much easier to teach they don't have all that ego or TV versions of shooting to rely on.

·
Registered
4,342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well,

Thanks everyone, I am still just awestruck! I am going tomorrow and making a purchase for her first gun. She is definately ready, and after talking to her, she is extremely excited. Thank God for this board, for America, and for all of You!

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
Any idea what you're going to get her, or are you bringing her with you to try a few on for size?

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
Pretty amazing for a first time shooter. I would expect the target to be at 25 feet instead of 25 yards.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
I taught all three of my daughters to handle weapons and to hunt. One of them still hunts deer with me, along with her two brother. It is a great feeling to have that time with them. Now I am teaching the grand kids. I guess the circle of life.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I'm envious.....

Just started owning again since my daughters are now 15 & 17, gave up my S&W 66 prior to 1st born. Got a Ruger 10/22, Kel-Tec P-3AT and Pro 24/7 9mm. It's been tuff with the family acceptance, I thought it would be a nice hobby to teach and share with my kids. My wife tried it back when, I just that was a dating thing, but accepts having them in house but not interested in practicing with me which keeps the kids cold too.

Anyone know best way to start the interest and keep it going?

Second_Life

·
Administrator
36,016 Posts
15 and 17 - man, thats almost too late to get a girls attention.....but I'd start with the 15 year old, since she's probably not quite driving yet.....just take her to the range with you !!! Be sure you stress S-A-F-E-T-Y. Have Jeff Cooper's handgun rules, and go over them before you take her to the range. Then, just take her !!! Work on the very remedial basics, like of course the safety you went over with her, and how to load the gun, making sure she keeps her finger off the trigger until ready to fire, everything. Just let her have fun - I'd let her shoot that 10/22 of yours at first, that is a low-recoil bunch of fun right there.

·
Registered
6,000 Posts
i agree with texas i've notice women usually prefer low recoil calibers, .22lr is a perfect caliber to start out at for just about everyone.

on the other hand if someone is'nt interested in trying ot shoot i'd just let them be.. sometimes people like it once they try it but with all things you can't really push people into it.. it's something you have to come to on your own..

i might suggest making the push to get them to the range once.. after they fire their first shot if they still are'nt interested then it's a dead end.. ain't nothing you can do about it, it's like that with all things in life not everyone likes everything.

·
Registered
846 Posts
Congrats! Don't know the Ms. favorites are still my Tracker and the 24/7 pro .40, which she got her CHL with.

·
Registered
4,342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks everyone involved... my daughter is about to get her very own Taurus 9mm, but I haven't decided which one yet. We will go to many stores and let her hold all that we can find... She is probably more excited than I am at this point (which I cannot believe), but believe me, I am super excited about this.

·
Registered
6,000 Posts
mp3mogul said:
Thanks everyone involved... my daughter is about to get her very own Taurus 9mm, but I haven't decided which one yet. We will go to many stores and let her hold all that we can find... She is probably more excited than I am at this point (which I cannot believe), but believe me, I am super excited about this.
*starts to chant 92! 92! 92! 92!*

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.