Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6,559 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So we went to the indoor range yesterday to try out my brother's new gun. He had stopped by Walmart and picked up 600 rounds of Tulammo Brass Maxx in the round containers. Now he has shot my pistols a few times before, but not award winning marksmanship. Apparently he is left eye dominant, so it took him a few mags to get more settled in. He got all of his first 2 mags in dead on left to right and just mainly varied up and down. We switched targets to one of those with 5 oval target spots on it and we backed it up each time for a different spot on it. He still got most all of his shots, even out to 15 yards within the gray shaded area, and the more he shot, he got more consistent filling the bull within the gray oval. We shot about 120 rounds through it. He did better than I thought he would.

I pulled out the old pt145 that's been riding in my truck for a year. I forgot how accurate that thing is. The checkering kept gnawing at my right pinky, but it was good to sling some through it.

As we were leaving, I was showing him how to take it down to clean it, and when I put the slide back on, the feed ramp wedged down in the frame and the slide wouldn't close all the way. So I took it back home and finally got it off by pulling the trigger again.

No pics since the range frowns upon it greatly. But it was a good time.

·
Registered
24,600 Posts
Sounds like Tons-o-Fun.

·
Banned
15,276 Posts
Good report and a good time had by all. Excellent indeed.:thumb::thumb:

·
Registered
10,898 Posts
Sounds like fun to me!

·
Registered
24,960 Posts
Have your brother learn to shoot left handed. I'll take some time, but it'll pay off dividends.
Sounds like you had a great time.

·
Super Moderator
40,495 Posts
Sounds like a good time at the range.

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
Sounds like a good time. One of my sons is left handed but right eye dominate. He switched to being a right handed shooter and is now very accurate. If he has not done the dominate eye test (whatever it is called) he should do so to confirm his dominate eye. If truly left eye dominate he may want to try switching to left handed shooting and see how is goes.

·
Super Moderator
19,740 Posts
Sounds like fun. I know I have a much greater time shooting with family than alone.

And I'm left eye dominant but right handed. I shoot right handed too as been doing it all my life and never considered working up my left side for shooting.

I'm in my mid 50s and wear contact lenses and am in mono vision system. My first prescription had my left eye set for far vision and my right lens set for up close shooting. Well, my first outing I couldn't see the target, much less my front sight. Went back to the eye doc and explained to him do he changed my Rx so that my right eye is set for distance and problem cured. And whereas I used to close my left eye while shooting, I now try to keep both open.

Reactions: rollin thunder

·
Registered
24,960 Posts
Here's a test:
Hold your index finger out the length of your arm, line it up with something vertical, like a wall corner, door frame or light pole. Close one eye, did your finger move off of the vertical fixture? Close the other eye now (open the other eye, silly). The one that doesn't move, is your dominant eye. You'll be surprised at the amount of people shooting with their weak eye.

·
Registered
4,672 Posts
I'd keep practicing right handed using the left eye
Switching to left handed will narrow down your options drastically for handguns that are ambi controls, or require switching mag release for example.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts