Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4,826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It was a little cool this morning but I was determined to try out my Ruger GP100 at 7yds. I also took along my fifty-three year old Mossberg 342K to get it's new scope sighted in. As expected, the .357 Magnum rounds with a 4" barrel was a bit harsh on recoil, but nothing compared to my 10mm. I also had to adjust the sights for my particular grip, but not that much really. I was shooting 158gr JHP Monarch's because that's all I have at the moment. As soon as I start handloading for this pistol, I'm sure the performance will improve. I also tried some .38SPL 158gr JHP and they did very well too. I like the lesser recoil, but the trade off in power isn't really worth the trouble.

My Mossberg is now fitted with a 6x24 power Tasco Varmint scope. This is my second one and I've really been pleased with the performance of these scopes for rim fire rifles. These targets were shot from 50yds from a bench rest with relatively calm winds, 5mph or less. Federal 36gr. RN was what I had with me. Higher velocity JHP's don't work quite as well out this rifle. I should have grabbed some 40gr RN, but I forgot!

Now for the pics..

Attachments

·
Registered
24,791 Posts
Nice shooting.

·
Registered
9,585 Posts
GREAT job! Looks like you had a great afternoon! Congratulations!

·
Registered
10,898 Posts
Nice!

·
Registered
5,922 Posts
You did okay...I guess.

I mean, if that's good enough for your standards.

LOL! Nice shooting.

Reactions: Panda

·
Registered
20,085 Posts
Have you thought about joining in the TA monthly Rifle and Pistol Shootouts?
They can be found in the Firing Line section of the forum each month as 'sticky' threads - look to the top of the listings!!

There's a special snub nose pistol challenge this month in addition to the usual categories AND 'no rules' rifle madness!!!! :eek:

*join the fun

·
Registered
4,826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
They can be found in the Firing Line section of the forum each month as 'sticky' threads - look to the top of the listings!!

There's a special snub owe challenge this month in addition to the usual categories AND 'no rules' rifle madness!!!! :eek:

*join the fun
I'll give it some thought, thanks.

·
Registered
36,649 Posts
There's a special snub nose pistol challenge this month in addition to the usual categories AND 'no rules' rifle madness!!!! :eek:
*join the fun
And on that note< I have a question regarding the snub nose shoot.
as they made this weapon with a 12 inch barrel , does my 6 inch barreled pistol qualify as a SNUB NOSE--------------:D

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
40,610 Posts
Nice shooting!

·
Registered
7,548 Posts
Wow, that's nice shooting

·
Registered
4,826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Wow, that's nice shooting
I suspect it might have drilled the same hole from a bench rest, but I didn't go to that trouble this time. Maybe next go around with some good handloads.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts