Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here was the original post for background reference... http://www.taurusarmed.net/forums/index.php?topic=5533.0

After a long period of weather and health which has kept me indoors... I finally got to take my PT1911 with the Millett 100 Lo Profile sights to where I could shoot it today.

Let me say first of all, you forget what a nice shooting gun this is when it's been months since you have had it in your hands at the range. But... on to the sights.

In the daylight, the sights really stand out... the bar & outline of the rear catches your eye very quickly and using the fiber optic front is just a grand attraction. You pick these sights up immediately and are easy to hold on target.

I had worried that the .200 EGW front fiber optic wouldn't be enough and would put the POI too high on the page, but from the first shot on I saw that the Millett 100 Lo Profile and the .200 EGW fiber optic would be a perfect match. I had had judged the center of the dovetail with the sight and it was hitting exactly where I was pointing. I'll post pictures to this thread tomorrow.

The only problem I had was that I had only used the pressure of the two tension pins to hold the sight in the dovetail. I had intended to "set" the sight with some heavy loctite, but not having it on hand, I forgot. I brought the gun home without the sight (which luckily dropped at my feet) and used some JB Weld to hold the sight. Knowing that is gave a great sighting picture, it was accurate and completely adjustable, I set the sight with the epoxy.

Those who have contemplated this change should know that you will get a great set of sights, ones that will "grab" your eye and make it easy to make even those long shots.

The following targets are 11'x14' instead of the standard police target of 24'x'45. Thus the area of the smaller target is on 14% of the larger... and the sighting should be adjusted accordingly. Most of these targets were shot at a 15' distance with one target at about 22 yrds (clear distance for posting a target.

Top grouping was slow aimed fire. The lower group was a fast aimed fire. Elevation was right on which was the purpose of this exercise.

The 22 yard target... principally to note the elevation which remained consistent. Note all eight rounds cut paper.

This was a 15' fast fire target using three magazines swapped as fast as I can possibly do. Again note the ease of elevation... the sights picked up the target immediately and even when you couldn't get a clear rear/front sight... the fiber optic front kept you in the zone you were shooting for. The last five shots were made only with front sight. I had secured the sight only with the pressure of the two set pins and it shot loose. I have now secured it with a more lasting fix ant which will cure this problem. I didn't want to take this step until I confirmed that the sights would group on elevation.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have just purchased a PT 1911. I'm searching to find what manufacture even makes a fully adjustable rear sight that fits the PT 1911. In your report you installed Millett's Lo profile rear sight. What was the Millett part number? In my Midway catalog and on line at Millet I couldn't find any direct replacement for Taurus' factory Henie sight. So, what other gun manufacturer's
model did you use to find Millett sights that fit the PT 1911? And was this a "drop-in installation that didn't require any alterations to the gun or sight?

·
Premium Member
785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Dennis said:
I have just purchased a PT 1911. I'm searching to find what manufacture even makes a fully adjustable rear sight that fits the PT 1911. In your report you installed Millett's Lo profile rear sight. What was the Millett part number? In my Midway catalog and on line at Millet I couldn't find any direct replacement for Taurus' factory Henie sight. So, what other gun manufacturer's
model did you use to find Millett sights that fit the PT 1911? And was this a "drop-in installation that didn't require any alterations to the gun or sight?
Sorry... you should really read the link to a previous thread that begins this thread. This is a "Colt Lo Profile" and yes... read the preceding about alteraltions to the sights to make them fit!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts