Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ok.. Here is my range report on the Taurus PT22. This is the Taurus PT22 Model 22BSYN.
Sorry on the pic, it’s blurry.. I think it’s my camera.. but hey.. it’s a pic.. give me credit! ;-)

SPECS:
This is not the poly version, is the alloy metal version with synthetic grips:
2 3/4" Blue Black Synthetic Grips 8 rd +1

CLEANING\OIL:
Before I went to the indoor range, I had cleaned and oiled it already when I got it. But I decided to oil it again almost “wet” like is commonly suggested here on the forums. I used regular REM Oil, some people like it.. some don’t.. I’m not going to debate if it’s the “best”, but in this pistol.. it was fine to use.
Also for reference, used hoppes #9 solvent I used that, to clean it before hand.

AMMO:
I fired over 200 rounds of various .22LR ammo about 15 yards or so down range. I did not have “ANY” malfunctions with this pistol. NONE.
I had one fail to fire, but that was a dud from one of the “bargain” .22LR rounds that I had.

The best ammo that I fired.. at least in “this” pistol, hands down was the CCI Mini Mags FMJ with the copper “looking” round nose. I see now.. why people like them so much, and they did seem to pack a tiny bit more “snap” each time I fired them. I did not shoot all of them. Gotta’ save some ;-)

I also shot the Remington Eley “matched” standard velocity lead round nose. These seemed to be imported from the UK and have Eley primers. I shot all 50 rounds.. not one FTF.. nothing ..one after another they went off. Really great ammo in this pistol and I would buy these again if the price is right.

I also shot the Federal .22LR High Velocity rounds, lead round nose FMJ’s. One or two of the bullets nose seemed to be a bit misformed.. two of them seemed stiff in the mag.. but they went into battery and fired out ok. Federal and CCI are same company.. so it may have just been a fluke batch? Not sure.. but again, they went out downrange ok.

The MagTech standard veleocity box of 50 rounds.. that is those cheap ones I got for $4.99 on sale. One bullet, I tried 3 times loading it right into battery (remember this pistol has the ‘flip open’ barrel, no need to rack the slide) and still nothing. I waited in case of a slow burn.. still nothing. I gave that one to the range master for disposal, there was another one that I had to hit twice, but that one did go down range to the target. That is standard velocity ammo.. but still.. so was the Remington Eley box.. so I’m kind of half and half on that ammo. I do not think it was the firing pin, seeing how that Remington Eley box went without any issues at all.

OTHER THOUGHTS:
This pistol is a backup, for my back up. It’s a great pistol to fire at the range and I very happy that this one that I got is 100% functional. I can actual “rack” the slide as well! It’s harder than my other pistols, and I would not want to do it all of the time, but on this one that I have, I can rack it “and” hold it open.

At 15 yards, the pistol was also very accurate. I admit, I’m not that great at far away targets.. But close range I’m not a bad shot, and I was able to get 8 “½ groups” in some locations of the silhouette target that I was shooting at. Not too shabby at all… very accurate considering.

Also, because of the small barrel, be ready for the muzzle flash. It’s common to see with this pistol. One guy came up to me between rounds and said ‘what kind of gun is that’? LOL.
Some people call it "The Noisy Cricket" after the "Men in Black" movie.. more of a nod to the loudness (surprising for a .22LR) then the recoil.. which is what you expect from a .22LR pistol.. hardly nothing ;-)

THINGS TO LOOK OUT FOR:
Also to add, if you buy this pistol try to buy different ammo like I did, but again highly recommend.. buy some CCI Mini Mags FMJ with the round copper color looking noses.. those should be your base line in ammo that I have seen (and tested myself) as good to go in this pistol.

Be aware that this pistol "does have" a long trigger pull, and the reset is all the way back. Some people do not like that, curve your finger more, and use more of your finger tip to get a better response. I do not think it is that bad at all.. and I also shot all 9 off in rapid succession towards the end of my range time, with no issues. My finger did not feel tired or anything.. and I could of shot 200 more rounds if I had more time.

I have heard that the extra mags are still hard to find from the OEM (Taurus) although it seems like they are being sold on ebay for a higher price. I may buy an extra mag soon, just to have one.

When you flip the barrel up, there is a plastic "breach" piece that the barrel rests on. This can be removed for cleaning. I have heard that this piece can break after heavy use of the pistol. I know that Taurus has been pretty good on mailing those out to people.

You also may find this pistol with pearl looking handles, in different colors. I have read that these older models, those grips can sometime crack. The grips that is on mine, is those synthetic black ones, not pearl. And they seem strong and sturdy. You can find real wood grips if you do a google search on them, but note here on our forum.. I read one person that said that the springs inside the handle of the gun may come undone, so you need to change the grips in a plastic bag. Not sure about that.. but check with Taurus before doing so.

I really hate to hear of some problems that people have with this pistol.. but I’ll tell you.. balls to bone.. this one.. that I got.. is a real winner in my book!
My 2 cents. –H.T.
Attached Images

Attachments

·
Registered
3,046 Posts
Congrats on a good shooter and nice write up!

Reactions: HappyTom

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Congrats on a good shooter and nice write up!
Thank You.. it's a good one... and I bought this way back in December.. I just been way too busy to shoot it. It was worth the wait.

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
Nice report, nice shootin' and Congratulations on getting a winner.

·
Banned
15,276 Posts
Excellent report indeed. Thanks for sharing it with us.:thumb::thumb:

·
Registered
24,615 Posts
Thanks for the report. Always good to have positive.input.

·
Registered
2,418 Posts
Thanks for sharing. I have always liked the look of those pistols.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Thanks for the report. I've been thinking about getting a 22 for target practice. Perhaps I will consider this one

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I also just added: "THINGS TO LOOK OUT FOR" at the bottom of my report, as there were things that I found out during my research on this pistol, before I purchased it that may help someone else. Thank You.

·
Registered
51 Posts
My PT22 experience was not so good.
I bought mine while looking for a Beretta Bobcat, a gun I had owned before and liked.
The PT looked great, but it was the best looking, poorest performing gun I've owned.
Many failures to fire, and when it did fire, it jammed.
Worse than that, the bullets were keyholing, hitting sideways at 10 yards.
Taurus paid for shipping...
It came back working but still keyholing. Sold it.
That was my first and only Taurus, and it was almost enough to make me swear off the brand. I did find a Beretta Bobcat, and it has been faultless.

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
My PT22 experience was not so good.
I bought mine while looking for a Beretta Bobcat, a gun I had owned before and liked.
The PA looked great, but it was the best looking, poorest performing gun I've owned.
Many failures to fire, and when it did fire, it jammed.
Worse than that, the bullets were keyholing, hitting sideways at 10 yards.
Taurus paid for shipping...
It came back working but still keyholing. Sold it.
That was my first and only Taurus, and it was almost enough to make me swear off the brand. I did find a Beretta Bobcat, and it has been faultless.
Sorry you had problems with the PT22, but to swear off any Taurus from that one experience isn't that a bit too much? I'm glad that at least you did not swear off our Taurus forum here as well. ;)
In my research beforehand.. I was looking at the Beretta BobCat 21A as well.. but in my research I found that the Beretta models also was very picky about ammo.. just as some of the PT22's out there. Here is one youtube video that comes to mind:

Do I think that Beretta is a bad company after seeing videos and articles like that.. absolutely not! I actually have a Taurus TCP738FS .380 ACP that I had issues with, and I was able to buff the feed ramp and the mag follower to fix it. But that did not stop me from researching and buying the PT22. And I'm glad that I did... seeing how the PT22 was about 2x less then the Bobcat.. even more so. A lot of issues that I see in "any" pistols out there.. are the feed ramp, magazine or even more so.. the ammo that is being used. Also the oil that is being used, the cleaning of the pistol before hand and the break in period.. ..even though some pistols do not need it, others do.

End game, there is not a company out there that does not have a few bad apple's out of the bunch.. no matter how great your quality assurance department is.
My 2 cents.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Well, I did recently buy a 1997 PT92, so I didn't give up completely. I'm very happy with the PT92.
I have owned 2 Beretta Bobcat 22's, and a Bobcat 25acp. All have been accurate, reliable pistols. I generally stick to the better brands of rim fire ammo, so that helps.
I have to say I prefer the DA/SA trigger of the Bobcat.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I had a PT22 awhile back. It also performed flawlessly, with CCI, Federal, and Win. Wildcat ammo. My accuracy wasn't so great though. It shot low and left consistently. I just adjusted my aim high and right and hit bullseyes. It was fun, but I traded it for something I thought I needed more. Now that I'm starting to see a little 22lr ammo in stores again, I may get another, before the next panic and the ammo dries up again.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts