1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Gun: Savage Arms Model 110BA, .338 Lapua Magnum
The Scope: NightForce NXS 5.5-22x56mm with NP-R1 Illuminated Reticle
The Ammo: Hornady 250 grain BTHP @ 2,860 fps

First, I sighted it in at 50 yards. The rifle had just been bore sighted when the scope was mounted.

We then moved it on out to 100 yards.

After that was done, we moved out to 200 meters.

I kept pulling left. I started to anticipate the shot. I need more time behind the trigger to learn a little more self control. Then we moved out to 385 meters.

We ran out of time and ammo so I wasn't able to carry it out to the full 500 meters that the range was capable of reaching. I didn't even get a chance to zero it out at 385 meters like I wanted. I only had time to shoot a few rounds and go pick up the target. I was of course shooting low since she was zeroed at 200 meters. Next time I get to another range with a good long range spot, I will work on getting her zeroed in at 400-600 yards and moving on out further.

SO... What do I have to say about the gun?

Amazing.

The Savage Arms AccuTrigger is absolutely excellent. I had it set very light (~3.5 lbs) and it felt incredibly crisp. There was ZERO creep. It felt just like it should, like a glass rod breaking. It was a clean *snap* when she fired. The gun was also much more accurate than the shooter! I've never had a rifle this powerful. She was shooting very tight up until I started to get severe magnum flinch. The gun was putting the bullet exactly where I was telling it to shoot. Unfortunately, where I was TELLING it to shoot was not where I WANTED it to shoot. I just need more trigger time! This gun was worth EVERY penny. The kick was not nearly as bad as I was expecting. Oh she would throw me back for sure, but the weight and the muzzle break really took out some of that recoil.

How about that scope?

Amazing.

She was solid as a rock. She took those .338 Lapua Magnum rounds like it was nothing. The image was clear as day. At 200 meters I could see my .338 bullet hole. At 385 meters I could not see the hole, but I could see the separation of the rings of the official 25 yard pistol target that I was shooting at. I could not believe how clear everything was. The NP-R1 reticle was fantastic. It was definitely worth the money! I am so glad I went all out on this scope.

What a wonderful, wonderful firearm with a wonderful, wonderful scope.

·
Registered
5,348 Posts
Thanks for the report! I am a sucker for Savage rifles, and need to buy one to replace the Edge .30-06 I sold!

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I looked like a salesman for Savage that day. I had my Savage Arms shirt on and my Savage Arms hat. Not to mention that I was toting around one of their baddest rifles. :D

I loved my Savage .17 HMR and this seemed like a good quality rifle so I decided to "pull the trigger" and buy this bad boy. Man am I ever glad I bought it!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts