Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am glad to say I finally got to shoot my Mil Pro .45 today!  I love it.  Sights were off but that can be fixed.  Not a single issue with it.  130 Rounds.  80 WWB and 50 Blazer steel casings.  Ate it all with no problems.  Not much recoil for a .45. Small size and great weight to it even with 11 Rounds in. Lighter than my brother-in-laws S&W 9 MM. Great piece.  One question though.  Is there any way to adjust for it shooting low?  Before shooting this weapon my favorite to fire was the SA XD.  I like this one just as much!

·
Administrator
40,554 Posts
Well, if your shooting low, there are some threads here dealing with the use of the Heinie sights. Assuming that's what you have. :thumb:

·
Registered
796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I know how to use the Heine sights. It is still shooting low though. I have to aim about 12 Inches above the target!

·
Moderator Emeritus, with us always.
15,931 Posts
Well, I was thinking maybe ammo, but read that you used a couple dif. types. Not sure about your hold, or sight picture, because I was not watching you shoot.

We did have one guy, who had a barrel that was defective, bent to one side.

I know the 3" sight picture gave me fits with the PT111. It took me a couple hundred rounds to be consistently on an 8.5 by 11 paper target, (and I am still not talking about hitting the center most of the time). But with a 4.75" or 6.5" barrel I was taking out the left center of the bullseye, on a 5" round target. But then I got a 2" snubby, firing 38's and was on paper from the first round.

The PT is a different beasty, I qualified with it for CCDW, but it took me a bit of time before I attempted it with that style gun.

·
Registered
796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Is there any way to adjust the sights for shooting low? If not are there any aftermarket sights I can buy that can be adjusted on the elevation side?
Robby said:
Well, I was thinking maybe ammo, but read that you used a couple dif. types. Not sure about your hold, or sight picture, because I was not watching you shoot.

We did have one guy, who had a barrel that was defective, bent to one side.
I saw that thread and was the first thing I checked after I got home. Barrell is straight as an arrow. I might just have to shoot it some more to get used to "aiming". Once I moved the firearm up about 10-12 In above target it hit fine. LOL

·
15,931 Posts
Yeah, we have a big discussion on the Williams Fire Sights for the Mil Pro, with dovetail and without. I am not going to change mine as I finally got it down to holding just a bit higher than what the Heinie sight guru's say you should do.

I would work on my grip,"that was one of my problems, I was holding too low and loose on the PT111, I added the Handall Jr. grip sleeve from Hogue, it makes me keep my hand high, and also gave me the right place to put my off hand". The only 45 I have is the JUDGE, and with that 6.5" barrel it is accurate to POA. That being said, I tried heavier slower rounds, and every trick I read about here and elsewhere. But I think changing my hold was probably the most important thing I did.

·
Registered
7 Posts
yo. I had the problem initially about shooting low. course, I had the same thing for a few years with an h&k full sze. turns out I was squeesing too hand with shooting hand. making a fist as I pulled the trigger, I pushed the bbarrel low and left. wasnt aware of it til someone pointed it out, repeadtely. pt145 I shot low til I started lingin up the top of the sights, not the dot. have a houge grip, and shoots poa now. before you toss it, really concentrate on keping shooting hand a bit loose and pulling with off hand to control, the little things will wiggle if you let it:) not intended to say this is what youre doing, but it was me, hopefully you can diagnose the issue.

·
Registered
796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Order the Houge yesterday. Can't wait to get it. I actually saw one on a pistol in this forum and was wondering where to get one and how much. They look good on the Mil. Pro's.

·
15,931 Posts
nakedbaboon said:
Might have to try it for 18 bucks.
Gee, did they go up. I think I spent $10 plus tax at my local shop for the Handall Jr. I think I would look around a bit. Sometimes local shops have things cheaper.

http://www.hogueinc.com/getgrip/merchant.ihtml?id=114&step=2

Handall Jr. Small Size Grip Sleeve
Minimum Order: 1
Product Code: 18000
Price: $ 8.95 / Each

·
Registered
10,043 Posts
HandAll Jr.'s are $9.99 in Cabelas, Sportsmans Warehouse, and Bass Pro Shops here in AZ. The full size isn't even close to $18.

·
Registered
796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
They were $18 with shipping. We only have one local gun shop and they are closed when I am off. Plus they want way to much for everything. They want $400+ Tax on a Mil. Pro PT-145. Which I got for $361 shipping and FFL. Not to mention they are rude if they don't think you are rich. Got the Houghe for $14 with shipping through Lawmens.

Just got the Houge JR. It looks tiny. Might not fit.

·
15,931 Posts
nakedbaboon said:
Just got the Houge JR. It looks tiny. Might not fit.
It will fit, it will be very tight, some guys have used various products or gimmicks to help get it on. I just used patience, and working it on a very little bit at a time. Did not require any trimming on my PT111, and really helped my grip, and my shooting.

·
Administrator
35,711 Posts
I just put 300 rounds through my new PT145 Pro - wore a hole in my hand doing it ;D but I love the gun, no problems at all. I'm using a Pachmayr slip-on grip and I like it alot. I may have to put some tape on the web of my hand, or buy a shooting glove, or something .........

·
Registered
796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I got it on. Thought it was going to rip a couple of times. The PT-145 is 1.25 In wide where as the PT-111 is 1.125. Put it in some boiling water for about 2-3 Min. Fits great. Love the feel!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts