Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Banned
3,798 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As some of you might remember from an older thread my lovely wife bought me one of these for Christmas. Well this weekend I finally got a chance to shoot it and wow did I fall in love. This is a beautiful gun and a remarkable reproduction of history. As the Confederates where in need of handguns Samuel Griswold decided to change his cotton gin factory over to making copies of the Colt 1851 Navy. But do to a lack of steel brass and twisted iron was used for the frame and barrel. Named after Griswold and Arvin Nye Gunnison, his business partner only 3600 where made before Union troops destroyed the factory.
Now on to my Pietta clone. First off this gun is heavy at 7 1/2 pounds it swallows up the recoil making this gun a joy to shoot. It has the potential to be every bit as accurate as any other hand gun but I need to work up to that potential. The sights are by no means modern consisting of a front post and a notch cut into the hammer, which will take a lot more practice for me to get used to. The cylinder fits flush against the forcing cone, it is interesting and give the gun almost no side flash, however a three inch jet of flame comes out of the barrel.
Loading seems like it would be a pain but once I developed a rhythm it was slow but by no means difficult. I will say the I found putting on the caps on was easier by hand than with a caper that came with the kit I bought from Cabela's. That same kit also came with a flask, nipple wrench, and measure, along with bullets, wads, and grease. The things all worked great so I won't complain about the caper to much.
This gun is a lot of fun to shoot. The fit and finish are top notch, it function flawlessly with just a little bit of love I can see this gun outlasting many other more modern firearms on the market. I really recommend this to anyone who wants to get a cap and ball revolver. At $200 and most people can have one shipped directly to your home are just two more pluses.

Firearm Gun Revolver Trigger Gun accessory

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
I had a Pietta 1858 Rem. Army .44 that shot some amazing groups. It kept breaking a flat spring (don't recall what it was called) but I'd get new ones from Dixie GW and it would run good for a while. Try shooting at dusk, it'll put on quite a light show!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.