Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,836 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I opened fire down range today with the judge for the 1st time in months. Boy, it is fun to shoot! Shells are disallowed at the indoor range, so I was limited to the Magtech cowboy loads, but it was still fun.

However, I was unimpressed with the performance of the cowboy loads. I am unsure if it was the ammo or the judge itself. I seems to get a lot of tumbling, identified by the oblong holes in the target. Where the .357 had a group of about 2" at 10 yds, the judge was closer to like 8-10". It was all over the place. I even braced my arms on the bench to steady my shots.... no change. And the cowboy loads are not hot at all, with velocity of about 700 fps. Next time I get to the outdoor range, I can conform whether or not the PD shells still group ok or not, but for now I'm a little disappointed.

Any input on whether or not it's just the ammo, or am I doing something wrong? This judge only has maybe 150 rounds though it.

·
Registered
502 Posts
The most accurate ammo I've found for the Judge so far is the Federal 225gr SWC. Not saying that it's the most accurate ammo, just saying that it's the most accurate that I've found, there may be better out there. With the Fed 225, in a Ransom Rest, I got groups of about 1.5" from 7 yards, and 5.5" from 25 yards. And that's from the 2"-barrel Public Defender. That should translate into about a 2" group at 10 yards.

So, no, 8-10" is completely unacceptable from 10 yards. It may be that the bullets are a little small and aren't engaging the Judge's shallow rifling; it may be that you've shot a lot of cowboy loads and leaded up the rifling and that the gun therefore needs a thorough cleaning, or there may be other reasons. Use a bore light to check your rifling, and try some different ammo.

·
Registered
2,836 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well most of that 150 rds has beed lead cowboy action. You think it might just need a good barrel scrubbing? What would be a good product for lead removal?

·
Registered
3,007 Posts
The 3 X 3 Judge is capable of great accuracy. This was an online shooting contest photo from a forum I used to belong to. I won with my Judge. The rules were: 7 yards off hand, two shots at each bull's eye for a possible 100 points, one shot at each "dot" for 1 extra point for each hit. I totaled 86 points.

I used my own reloads with Berry's Preferred Plated .452, 200 grain bullets.

P1040203.JPG

·
Premium Member
11,016 Posts
I reload for my judge too. 250gr lead and plated bullets over Blue Dot powder. Accuracy is good, but nothing special. I only shoot at SD silhouette targets with my Judge, and any hit center mass is what I'm aiming for.

·
Registered
2,836 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
okay just put a light down the barrel to see what i could see. I see a lot of reflective "silvery" particles built up along the edges of the rifling. I'm guessing that's lead buildup from the cowboy lead bullets i been using. What is the best method for getting this stuff out, or will just regular ol' Hoppes and a wire brush do the job?

·
Registered
693 Posts
Try a foam cleaning agent .... Fill the barrel and let it sit for at least 30 minutes ...when the patches turn blue when cleaning the chemical reaction has taken place ..it always works for me .... use it everytime I fire lead bullets it prevents lead building up in the rifling "....

·
Registered
880 Posts
i use Chore Boy pot scrubber. You have to be sure its pure copper. you will be able to tell the difference from the copper colored tin. the real copper is soft. Anyway cut a piece off wrap it around a nylon bore brush and it swipes the bore clean. they last long time and leave the bore shinny. less mes and no smell. I don't think there is a way to get lead bullets to shoot clean in these as the rifling is shallow and i am sure if you slug the barrel you will find them closer to .452. i think the only way to keep the lead down is to shoot plated or coated bullets. I am taking a real long look at bayou bullets coating.

still i think they are darn accurate. sight picture with the notch rear will take some practice. once you get your sight picture down i am sure you will see your accuracy improve.

These are not meant to be tack driving target guns but they sure get darn close with patience and practice.

Reactions: TheOldRedneck

·
Registered
3,007 Posts
Try a Hoppe's Tornado Brush for lead removal from the barrel with chemical previously stated.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I am no fan of the cowboy loads and the judge. I have a 3x3 like you, and I put maybe 30 Winchester cowboy .45s through it one time. Man, never again. It took forever to get the thing clean after that.

I know the cowboy stuff is cheap, but those soft, unjacketed rounds make a mess. Make sure the free bore in each cylinder is clean as well. You have to clean the cylinder from both ends because of that lip in there to keep you from accidentally stuffing a .454 into it. A lot of grime can build up on either side of that interior lip in each cylinder.

The big girl has expensive tastes - she doesn't like cheap ammo. Jacketed .45 is your friend.

·
Registered
880 Posts
i have just tried out bayou bullets lrnfp. 30 rounds in both my M450 2 inch and my new judge 2 1/2 4 inch barrel 700 to 850 fps no leading what so ever. this was over both unique and CFE 8.8 gr 250 gr bayou coated bullet. i just loaded about 200 more rounds tonight. i am going to go back to the range to practice on my accuracy with the 4 inch judge and plan on about 100 rounds per gun. i am going to keep track of how many rounds before i see any leading. Jerry Miculek's brother!!!

.45 Cal. Long Colt

Hi-Tek Heat Set ?Super Coat? Bullet Coating (Order by Phone) - Bayou Bullets

·
Registered
3,379 Posts
The Judge and any other handgun will have a load and bullet it shoots best and also one it shoots worst with. Trying different loads to see what the gun likes is part of the fun. I used a Lewis lead remover for years. Found out about the chore boy copper pot scrubbers and have not used anything else for lead. Simple, no chemicals required and gets all the lead out.

·
Registered
3,007 Posts
silverback, Do yourself a giant favor and try Berry's Preferred Plated bullets.

·
Registered
2,836 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Okay, let bro-and-sis-in-law shoot the judge for the first time (they are visiting for a long wknd). Stuck with the Federal #4 and 000 buck, just for kicks (no more cowboy crap). So we get a "cleaning party" going, and we clean the Judge w/ regular Hoppes solvent and oil. The barrel and cylinder is still all fouled up. So I took trouter's advice and tried Hoppes Foaming cleaner. It definitely broke a LOT more gunk free. The rear of the barrel still has a bit of buildup, but nothing like it was. I figure a little more shooting with jacketed ammo, and another soak in the foaming cleaner will bring it back up to par.

Thanks for the tip!

·
Registered
693 Posts
Brian let the foam sit in the weapon for at least 30 minutes, it really works well, disolves all the crap in the barrel and cylinder, I like it so much I use it as a toothpaste substitute ....( only kidding ) :D:D

·
Registered
2,836 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Brian let the foam sit in the weapon for at least 30 minutes, it really works well, disolves all the crap in the barrel and cylinder, I like it so much I use it as a toothpaste substitute ....( only kidding ) :D:D
well, it doesnt stay foam though, it just turns into liquid after about 5 min.

·
Super Moderator
17,633 Posts
There's only two ways I've found to easily remove lead from a barrel.

The less practical way is to order a Lewis Lead Remover.

http://www.brownells.com/gun-cleani...ead-remover/lewis-lead-remover-prod21587.aspx

The second is to use a brass jag tip....

Spear Tip Jag .45 Cal.

and a patch cut from a "Miracle Cloth"...

Gun Polishing And Cleaning Cloth, Quickly removes: powder fouling, lead fouling, copper fouling and plastic fouling.

With the Miracle cloth patch it only takes three or four passes. I run it through, turn it over and run it through again, then use a second patch. You can see the flakes of lead stuck on the patch. It's hard to get the patch started, you have to bump it pretty hard. I lock the revolver in a padded vice and use a stout rod from Pro-Shot products.

I've never tried wrapping a Miracle cloth patch around a brush but that would also probably work, though it may take more passes.

·
Registered
693 Posts
Give it another application of the foam product, I usually stick a few patches in the end of the barrel to hold in the material for cleaning
best solvent IMHO on the market ....and just takes a few patches or swab to finish the job ....

·
Registered
2,836 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
yeah, I will probably do another deep clean after another range day w/ the judge. For now I got the chambers clean, and the barrel only has very light fdouling compared to how it was. I think Im only shooting jacketed ammo through it from now on.

·
Registered
880 Posts
pure copper chore boy will do the trick no chemicals and takes care of your lead. i have found that shooting bayou bullets best lead option. no fouling. cheaper to coat your own. great results!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts